Thread: Questions about Gray treefrogs

xandra

Default Questions about Gray treefrogs

In the past two months I have collected two Gray treefrogs from the backyard. I purchased a Zoo Med naturalistic terrarium for them that measures 12x12x24 and I'm hoping that this is big enough for 3 frogs because I just found another Gray treefrog outside today. Also, can more than one male be housed together? I know for sure I have 1 male because he calls. The other makes no sounds yet but it could be too young still. Which leads me to another question. How much do they have to mature before they start calling? When I first found the male I thought it was a female because it didn't call and had no dark coloration to its neck. Now it does. One day my boyfriend whistled and it called. Now everytime my boyfriend whistles to him he calls. Has anybody experienced this before?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: questions about Gray treefrogs

I have 4 males housed together without any issues. You should be fine. I'd say your tank (which works out to be 15 gallons) is just barely adequate for 3 of them, less so when they get to adult size. Remember, more room is always recommended. I have mine in a 20 gallon vertical and all they do during the night is climb the sides and nose up against the ceiling, looking for a way out. It also depends on how your vivarium is designed. More branches, ledges and plants filling the airspace inside provides more surface area than a bare tank.

As for the calling, one of my males started "practice calling" at about 3 months out of the water. It sounded like a chicken with laryngitis. That was 2 months ago. Now it has a proper, trilling call and it does so quite often. And yes, they can be triggered by other noise.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There's a thread somewhere on here about them calling in response to various audio stimuli, such as people's voices, music, etc.

They can reach maturity in as little as a year, though females usually take a bit longer.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

5. This member thanks John for this post:

xandra

Thanks for your replies

Rae

I personally think that your terrarium would be to small for 3 barely adequate for 2. I have been told numerous times on here to try and go by this simple rule.

1 frog per 10 gallons. Now greys are smaller so 2 might be ok but not recommended... but definately too small for 3.

But I must agree the way you decorate and set up your frogs home is a huge factor... perches, branches, hideing spots, all help.

Thread Information