Thread: Argument needed: Water beads unsafe for frogs

cvBon1

Angry Argument needed: Water beads unsafe for frogs

So, I don't know if any of you know about these things called water beads. They are kinda growing popular in my area. I was talking to a friend randomly one day talking about my frogs (pacmans - though, one pacman now, RIP Harley) and she asked about putting water beads in my frog tank. I asked why she thought that would be a good idea and if she wanted to kill my frogs. She said she has them for her plants, they aren't toxic, animals and kids can accidentally ingest them and "they'll come out the same going in" and it would be fine. They slowly release water over time. I said if my frog eats one, which he probably will, he could choke or get impaction from it. She said they're soft and would probably mush in his mouth, and of course, being a natural product, wouldn't hurt him. I said I doubted that. I also asked what about the dyes? She said get the clear ones they have no dyes.

I'm writing this because everything I tried suggesting to her she tries to rebuttal against me. She doesn't have frogs, though I'm not an expert either, I really don't think it would be a good idea. I could easily just say okay your wrong, whatever, conversation over... but it's really bugging me to try to prove it to her. I'll admit, It'd be cute to see a frog's head sticking out of a bunch of beads that look like water drops, no doubt.. but I'm not about to put my frog at risk for that. So, frog enthusiasts, help me out. What an I tell her that she might actually agree with? (unless I'm wrong and it is safe lol).

Btw, this is what a water bead looks like: http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/109...for_plants.jpg
    The actual site it think it waterbead.net or something lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Argument needed: Water beads unsafe for frogs

I found the active ingredients of the "Terra-Sorb" brand crystal product.
    it is ----- Potassium Polyacrylamide/Acrylate Copolymer
    Doesn't sound too safe to me ? however, I do not have a chemistry degree.

I personally use this product in planted flowers for the deck ( NOT my RETF habitat) which also states it is an acrylic polymer.

SoilMoist - Reduce Amount of Water for Vigorous Plants

I don't know how this could possibly be safe for the frogs!!!
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

caverboy

I may not be an expert but I wouldn't do it. Your friend said that the beads would probably mush in his mouth, but what if they didn't? Those were meant as decorations, and are for plants. Not for frogs.

erini

Quote Originally Posted by cvBon1 View Post
    She said she has them for her plants, they aren't toxic, animals and kids can accidentally ingest them and "they'll come out the same going in" and it would be fine. They slowly release water over time.
    Just rudimentary logic: Size of a child's digestive system vs. a frog's? HUGE difference. Even a cat's system vs. a frog's. You're still looking at a massive size difference.

cvBon1

Yeah, I tried telling her all this lol. Well, I'll show her this, maybe it'll shut her up lol.
    I'm glad she doesn't have frogs. I would never put those in my frog's tank, I don't even own those water things. I'm glad to here I'm not crazy lol, and I was right.

Btw, thank you to everyone who looked into it lol. ^^

Form everything I have read on them, they are totally safe as far as toxicity goes.

Impaction is still an issue though. For the life of me I can't find it now, but I recall coming across a post on another forum about someone who did an autopsy on their pet frog and found one of these crystals inside it, which they believed was the cause of death. They suspected a dehydrated crystal in their cricket bin managed to hitch hike along with the cricket at feeding time and ended up in the frog, swelling inside of it. Yes this is lame 3rd or 4th hand evidence, but I'm hoping someone else remembers where this post was or has better google-fu than I do and can find it.

However, they are not necessary in your viv, you're uneasy about it, and it's your pet frog- argument is OVER.

Quote Originally Posted by erini View Post
    Just rudimentary logic: Size of a child's digestive system vs. a frog's? HUGE difference. Even a cat's system vs. a frog's. You're still looking at a massive size difference.
    No kidding, unless she's willing to eat a glass full of the things to demonstrate their safety in large amounts.

Thread Information