Thread: Can get him to grow

Jcal

Default Can get him to grow

i have had this albino for over 2 months and he has barely shown any growth. he's still smaller than an 1.5 inches.
    i keep the daytime temps at 85. night is 72. humidity is as high as i can keep it.
    he eats about 3 crickets every 2 days. i offer everyday.

i cant seem to get any growth out of him what so ever. any ideas??
    Name:  DSCF2874.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  67.4 KBName:  DSCF2871.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  80.0 KBName:  DSCF2872.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  69.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: can get him to grow

Something dont add up here. If he eats every day , he should be at list 2 1/2. For the first 4 month under normal conditions, they grow at a rate of three qaurtes of an inch per month. In 4 months they should be 3 and a half.

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Something dont add up here. If he eats every day , he should be at list 2 1/2. For the first 4 month under normal conditions, they grow at a rate of three qaurtes of an inch per month. In 4 months they should be 3 and a half.
    i offer food everyday but he wont eat everyday. avg is every other day.

i dont know either. maybe i should raise the temps??

his behavior seems normal. he burrows during the day. comes out at night to sit in the waterbowl. and eats when he wants to. i usually throw 3 crickets in there everynight. whats not eaten i place back with the other bugs to be gutloaded again.

BG

I love his color .Thats what I'm looking for in a albino. You only feed him crickets. They need other types of food .

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You also need to. Dust his food with calcium dust at least 3 times a week and dust with a multivitamin once a week. He needs a varied diet like BG said. You don't want to go higher than 85. To hot could possibly stunt his growth as well. Humidity needs to be between 70 and 80. Try feeding him other foods.

Jcal

He eats meal worms. Tried to offer earthworms....didnt bite

Do dust with calcium and vits

RichsBallPythons

Ill say this in the Snake perspective. I have snakes that will EAT AND EAT, but barely grow. Wheres ones that eat will grow huge.

Each species all grow at different speeds. Just Cause hes eating good for you doesnt mean he should be growing at the rate of everyone elses.

Just keep feeding him, and if needed, toss in wax worms.

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Ill say this in the Snake perspective. I have snakes that will EAT AND EAT, but barely grow. Wheres ones that eat will grow huge.

Each species all grow at different speeds. Just Cause hes eating good for you doesnt mean he should be growing at the rate of everyone elses.

Just keep feeding him, and if needed, toss in wax worms.
    Agreed. You will like this video

SnakeBytes TV - Episode #189 of SnakeBytes.TV - "Satan Snake vs Chewy."

I was curious if growth rates would be similar with frogs...but first i have to get this one right.

RichsBallPythons

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Agreed. You will like this video

SnakeBytes TV - Episode #189 of SnakeBytes.TV - "Satan Snake vs Chewy."

I was curious if growth rates would be similar with frogs...but first i have to get this one right.
    I used to work at BHB, personally got to care for Satan and others alike. Def a PITA chore

IvoryReptiles

Your frog needs variety in it's food. Try offering bits of earthworm again. Try roaches, waxworms as a treat.........the mealworms should not be given as a staple diet, the chitin is difficult for them to digest and can cause an impaction if they are fed as a staple.
    Try some molly's or guppies. You can also try the powdered food from Samurai Frogs out of Japan or make your own mix as some of us do.
    Keep in mind that calcium & vitamin supplements are crucial to it's health but remember that too much can do just as much harm as too little.

We breed these guys and have learned quite alot through the years. Please feel free to ask any questions you have in the future!!

Good Luck!!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

It's possible the frog is already stunted - if they don't get much food early on for a prolonged period then this can all but eliminate any future growth potential. This is not a myth - I've experienced this with frogs. Just a possibility for you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

John has a good point. My fantacy frog has a picky appotite, so he is smaller fron the the ornate and cranwell,that was raised together at the same size. Some times he wouldnt eat for weeks.

Jcal

Thanks for all of your replies. He could be stunted. I couldnt get him to eat for the first week i had him. Then sparingly after the first feed. I have another frog thats doing great!
    Oh well. I guess this will be the cheapest frog ever to feed

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    Thanks for all of your replies. He could be stunted. I couldnt get him to eat for the first week i had him. Then sparingly after the first feed. I have another frog thats doing great!
    Oh well. I guess this will be the cheapest frog ever to feed
    Its ok though. Just provide him/her with the love an care he/she needs and a long happy life. You will be the proud owner of a dwarf pacman frog lol! He/she is a very cute and beautiful frog.

Jcal

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Its ok though. Just provide him/her with the love an care he/she needs and a long happy life. You will be the proud owner of a dwarf pacman frog lol! He/she is a very cute and beautiful frog.
    yup. ill just consider it fun-sized!Name:  DSCF2878.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  104.4 KB
    its a solid 1.5''

Chomp

ive seen a few males in my day under 3 inches full grown. Growth Stunt happens to frogs for sure.

tukmol

Default Re: Can get him to grow

he looks stunted.

have you tried other types of food... like "other" frogs or feeder goldfish? i noticed mine had boosted its growth with those. i used to feed mine about 10 small frogs in one session. after a couple of weeks, i noticed he can go for double.

mine seems to challenge me if i could keep up with his feeding requirements.

might work for your frog.

Sublime

Feeder goldfish aren't a good dietary source of nutrition, they often carry parasites and have been known to cause kidney/liver problems in frogs. Other feeder fish like guppies , minnows, and shiners would be a good substitute as long as they're captive bred. I would stay away from feeder fish though.

tukmol

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Feeder goldfish aren't a good dietary source of nutrition, they often carry parasites and have been known to cause kidney/liver problems in frogs. Other feeder fish like guppies , minnows, and shiners would be a good substitute as long as they're captive bred. I would stay away from feeder fish though.
    yup, you are totally correct.

but no worries with mine. i get my supply from a reputable pet shop here on yokohama. i visit them so often, i learned how they treat their fishes. never had purchased a sickly fish from them. and they know that i feed them to a frog.

i started my frog with guppies until he got too big for them to be interesting, no matter how many.

Thread Information