Thread: Fan placement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Fan placement

I'm trying to install a fan outside the vent of a 20 gallon vertically converted tank. If you're familiar with these conversion kits, the vent is at the top of the front panel.
    Is this a good place for a fan? And would it be better to have it push air into the vivarium or, rather, draw it out?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nutz1207

Default Re: Fan placement

While i dont have a tank set up yet for darts i have been doing alot of reading on them and from what i understand is it's better to just circulate the air inside of the viv its easier to maintain the humidity that way. is this viv for darts?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have two of these vertical tanks. One is for gray tree frogs, the other for red eyed leaf frogs. Neither needs as much humidity as darts, but I believe the red eyes should still be kept in 60-80%.

Griffin

red eyes defiantly need good ventilation.i have a small fan sucking air out of my red eye tank but it is a small pc fan.how big is the fan?

wesleybrouwer

With the help of the fans, you will also be able to adjust the temperature somewhat.
    When using 2 fans, normally you can force cirulation of air by putting them on the outmost side, one blowing and one drawing.
    If you need more warmth, you can use the heat emitted by the lights, simply let them both push the warmer air in.
    The other way around, you can let them both draw the air to have it cooling somewhat.

So playing with the settings of the fans, especially when you put the adjustables on top, will help you adjust the humidity, air flow and temperature.
    Just tweak them untill you have satisfying values.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    red eyes defiantly need good ventilation.i have a small fan sucking air out of my red eye tank but it is a small pc fan.how big is the fan?
    The fan I'm using is also small, about 2.5". It was taken from a cpu cooler. It's pretty powerful, though.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    With the help of the fans, you will also be able to adjust the temperature somewhat.
    When using 2 fans, normally you can force cirulation of air by putting them on the outmost side, one blowing and one drawing.
    If you need more warmth, you can use the heat emitted by the lights, simply let them both push the warmer air in.
    The other way around, you can let them both draw the air to have it cooling somewhat.

So playing with the settings of the fans, especially when you put the adjustables on top, will help you adjust the humidity, air flow and temperature.
    Just tweak them untill you have satisfying values.
    Wesley, thank you for the suggestions. I use the two fan setup, one blowing, one drawing, in my gray tree frog tank. The humidity in there is usually between 50% and 60%. For my red eye tank however, I may only use a single fan in order to keep the humidity in the range of 60-80%. But I understand what you are saying - if the air outside the tank is warmer than the air inside, setting the fan to draw air into the tank will have a heating effect, and vice versa.

Griffin

have the fan blowing the old air out and that will also have fresh air coming in through the screen or what ever you have

Thread Information