Thread: Vacation feeding?

meganmcnerney

Default Vacation feeding?

what does everyone do when you have to leave your froglets for 1 day or 5 days? I feed my froglets every night between 9 and 10pm (sometimes later if I lose track of time)...but can I feed them in the morning when I know I won't be around that night to feed them? Can I "double up" on FF the night before and skip a day of feeding? Right now I'm just feeding fruit flies, but around Thanksgiving, we won't be around for multiple days. My neighbor takes care of my cats...and he did well helping out when my little froglets were just tadpoles, but that was easier. With froglets, I have escape issues for both frogs and prey, dusting and timing issues. So curious to know what others do when you have to travel (and you can't take them with you on the plane).

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kreamcheese

Default Re: Vacation feeding?

I usually double up on the food if I'm only gone a day or so. The main thing that worries me is the humidity/water. I have a timed rain system so it's not a problem for me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your frogs should have no problem not being fed for a few days.

As Andrew stated, humidity and misting would be more of my worry. I had someone tend to mine for a ten day vacation.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

meganmcnerney

I live in Georgia...so humidity is not an issue for me! They have a nice sized water bowl (not too deep for them to drown) and I know they will be fine for the one day I am gone...more worried about the 4 days I will be gone around Thanksgiving.

I have my 6 froglets in a 10gal tank...it's not too heavy...will my frogs stress out completely if I dropped them off at a friend's house (or the vet)?

PS...a side note not related to above...the frogs have figured out feeding time for the most part AND so has one of my cats! He weaves in and out thru my legs and then jumps up on a chair to watch me feed them. I usually sit and watch the frogs eat for a few minutes (they are VERY slow eaters) and my male cat sits beside me to be petted and he has started watching the movement of the frogs! It's very cute. I'm glad that my cat can't open the tank lid...the frogs would be in trouble!

hjoe1112

Any thoughts on using a fruit fly container with medium and placing it into the vivarium directly and poking a small hole on top so some fruit flies can gradually leave the container and into the vivarium for the hungry frogs.

I actually did this over a 4 day trip where I didn't have any one to help with the frogs. I would imagine you might be able to do this for even a week trip but of course there would not be any dusting with calcium or vitamins.

Thread Information