Thread: Normal behavior?

Sublime

Default Normal behavior?

Well since I can't sleep tonight I'm just observing my pixie from my bed. Kind of nervous for him right now, he's walking around in his tank pointing his head straight up at the lid and full on doing leaps into the air hitting his head on the metal mesh. He's just jumping pretty much vertically and jumping with full force. He's just walking around right now the whole time with his head up ready to jump again.

Do you think he's going to injure himself? He's landed on his water bowl a couple of times halfway into his water. I'm even more nervous because the cage I bought for him was off craigslist and it has a tear in the metal screen with some loose metal ends where I put his light. I pray to God he doesn't jump near that and cut himself or poke his eye out. I really need to get that fixed, luckily its in a tiny area of the screen where he most likely will not jump. I've never seen him this active, he tore down all the plants I had setup by jumping on them.

Looks like he has finally calmed down and is just laying in the dirt now. I hope he didn't injure himself or puncture something. He croaks every night in his water dish, I don't know how old he is, but he's about 4 inches svl I would assume. If you guys could give me some insight on why he may be doing this. I'm not sure if this is the first night he's done this, but it's super late. I have him housed in a 20 gallon long with a large water dish and a few plants for hides he likes to lay under during the day to rest and feel secure. Got an infrared heat lamp on him right now, that's how I can see what he's doing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Normal behavior?

Do you always use the lamp. Somethind must have bothered him .he. is teying to say something.

Sublime

Yeah I always use the night lamp, it's a red incandescent bulb. Shouldn't bother him. It's too cold to leave it off.

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Well since I can't sleep tonight I'm just observing my pixie from my bed. Kind of nervous for him right now, he's walking around in his tank pointing his head straight up at the lid and full on doing leaps into the air hitting his head on the metal mesh. He's just jumping pretty much vertically and jumping with full force. He's just walking around right now the whole time with his head up ready to jump again.

Do you think he's going to injure himself? He's landed on his water bowl a couple of times halfway into his water. I'm even more nervous because the cage I bought for him was off craigslist and it has a tear in the metal screen with some loose metal ends where I put his light. I pray to God he doesn't jump near that and cut himself or poke his eye out. I really need to get that fixed, luckily its in a tiny area of the screen where he most likely will not jump. I've never seen him this active, he tore down all the plants I had setup by jumping on them.

Looks like he has finally calmed down and is just laying in the dirt now. I hope he didn't injure himself or puncture something. He croaks every night in his water dish, I don't know how old he is, but he's about 4 inches svl I would assume. If you guys could give me some insight on why he may be doing this. I'm not sure if this is the first night he's done this, but it's super late. I have him housed in a 20 gallon long with a large water dish and a few plants for hides he likes to lay under during the day to rest and feel secure. Got an infrared heat lamp on him right now, that's how I can see what he's doing.
    well the way you were offering your advice i thought you must have been some kind of expert, but from what i can gather from reading some of your post's your a complete novice who had no right telling me how to keep my frogs, there are no sharp bits of metal in my vivs that can damage my frogs,

cheers spencer.............

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by spencerburgo View Post
    well the way you were offering your advice i thought you must have been some kind of expert, but from what i can gather from reading some of your post's your a complete novice who had no right telling me how to keep my frogs, there are no sharp bits of metal in my vivs that can damage my frogs,

How long have you been on this forum and keeping frogs for, and how long have I been? I've been on this forum for a month and a half and been a respectable member with enough knowledge gathered to help people and know enough about my frog. I give advice everyday to people asking for help, whens the last time you have? Out of all the care sheets and experienced pixie owners, what bedding do they recommend? Get off my thread, you are inexperienced and have no right to talk down on me because I asked one simple question. Obviously I'm taking great care of him, he gets fed routinely, correct bedding, perfect environment. He may of just been more active and wanted to hop around idk haha. What's wrong with getting a good deal on a cage in craigslist with a little tear in the screen lid? From the research I gathered, you don't need a lid after they reach juvenile-semi adult stage. Obviously there's exceptions like mine, he's a lot bigger and a lot healthier than your frogs. I already put duct tape on the tear till I buy a new lid or buy some new mesh to replace. We already dropped your ignorant attitude around 2 weeks ago and yet you're still going. You wouldn't of known why your frogs were acting that way and probably wouldn't of posted at all because you obviously don't care for your animals like I do. Have a good day, lol.

Sublime

Lol, by the way... Look who's talking about reading some of my posts and you call me a novice? Nice.

BG

Soccer any body?

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Soccer any body?
    Lolololololol.

BG

To get back to your issue,how is your pixie doing.

Sublime

To get back to your issue,how is your pixie doing.
    He's good now, I can see his head popped out of his dirt back behind his plants. He likes to go burrow back there during the day and rest. Also makes him feel secure. From what I can tell I don't see any damage on him, I have to feed him tonight so I'm going to set him in his feeding bin and see how he looks more closely. Some days he just soaks in his water bowl all day and most other days he goes back there and burrows with his head out. I set up the plants back there for him like a jungle so he's just chillin'. He should be fine, just a little out of control last night lol. Also as I mentioned before to spencer, I put some duct tape on the torn mesh part on the lid so that makes me feel better about his safety. Lol, didn't expect for him to be jumping that high doing acrobatics.

He should be croaking in his water dish tonight after I put him back in after feeding, he croaks every single night for awhile haha.

Sublime

You know spencer, I've thought about what you said and what I said. How about we both just agree that are frogs are doing well and healthy? I'm sorry for giving you advice when you had already known what worked best for your frogs. Some people take it more lightly and someone maybe as experienced as yourself with frogs might take it a little more offensive insulting your intelligence. So I'm sorry for that. I just want it to stay friendly on this forum and not make anymore enemies so that we can share our hobby, knowledge, tips, pics, whatever you name it haha. So I hope you understand and accept.

spencerburgo

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    You know spencer, I've thought about what you said and what I said. How about we both just agree that are frogs are doing well and healthy? I'm sorry for giving you advice when you had already known what worked best for your frogs. Some people take it more lightly and someone maybe as experienced as yourself with frogs might take it a little more offensive insulting your intelligence. So I'm sorry for that. I just want it to stay friendly on this forum and not make anymore enemies so that we can share our hobby, knowledge, tips, pics, whatever you name it haha. So I hope you understand and accept.
    yeah! no problems here, i just decided to go a different route, like i said if i dont think it's working for the frog's i will go back to coco fibre, but the frogs eat well and shed well and look as happy as a gabf can look lol, and no worry's with ingestation of substrate i weighed up the pro's and cons and decided to give it a go, will keep you posted with the out come.

cheers spencer......

Sublime

yeah! no problems here, i just decided to go a different route, like i said if i dont think it's working for the frog's i will go back to coco fibre, but the frogs eat well and shed well and look as happy as a gabf can look lol, and no worry's with ingestation of substrate i weighed up the pro's and cons and decided to give it a go, will keep you posted with the out come.

cheers spencer......
    Yeah. Sounds good.

BG

Thats the ticket. I like to try something new to imrove my frogs life and i belive we all mean well.

Jcal

Spence....i still want the name of your bully breeder!

BG

Hey spenscer can we see an update of your pixies. So mark what do you think was wrong with your guy. Maybe he was jumoing at something he thought was food.

Sublime

Hey spenscer can we see an update of your pixies. So mark what do you think was wrong with your guy. Maybe he was jumoing at something he thought was food.
    You know maybe he could of thought that, he's calmed down a lot more ever since last night. He's just burrowed in his dirt chilling under the red light. He's been digging deep holes and sticking his head out, his dirt just looks like a bulldozer came through all of it lol. I provide him with plenty of burrow room. To tell you the truth I really don't know if anything is truly wrong with him and if there was any type of food he saw. He was doing crazy acrobatics though, that's all I can say.

Thread Information