Thread: Water crystals?

Kreamcheese

Default Water crystals?

So I know people sell water crystals in tiny little packets but can I use this instead?

Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro 100831 Water Storing Crystals, 12-Ounce: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Is there a better deal on the crystals anywhere?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: Water crystals?

Same exact exact water crystal bag I use for hydrating crickets and dubias. The heat draws moisture from the water gel crystals into the air so it will help when gettin the humidity up for the dubias. Since you're going to Walmart, that's where I picked up this Miracle Gro Water Storing Crystal bag in the plant nursery. I don't know if there is a better deal, but this **** is cheap and I've probably used less than an ounce for the month I've had it.

Kreamcheese

Awesome. Yeah I had a tiny little bag that I got a while ago but figured i might as well splurge an entire $10 bucks on a bag that will last forever hah. Just gonna get everything in one go from walmart and hopefully have my tote up to a good temp/humidity before my roaches even arrive. I heard some people even put a water bottle with small holes poked in it to get the humidity up, ever try that?

Sublime

No i've never heard of that before, I'll have to try that out if I can't get the humidity how I want it. The only thing that concerns me with that is the little baby nymphs are able to climb and could potentialy crawl through the holes and drown. If you cut the holes small enough that would work, plus they're probably not able to climb the smooth surface of a water bottle anyway. Here's a tip for you if you didn't already know, since the babies are able to climb, line the inside of your tote with clear packing tape along the high walls. No escapes, don't have to worry. If your tote is already a smooth surface it's probably not needed, but most rubbermaids have a rough finish to them which makes the babies able to latch on. Thanks for your tip by the way, probably going to do that tomorrow.

Kreamcheese

The way I saw it was just a bunch of needle sized holes in the cap, so no worries about the tiny ones getting in. Just place it above where the heat mat is and it should slowly evap out. Let me know how it goes. And I did see somewhere about lining the inside I'll make sure to do that just to be safe. Also heard using Vaseline?? I'd rather stick to the tape :O

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Kreamcheese View Post
    The way I saw it was just a bunch of needle sized holes in the cap, so no worries about the tiny ones getting in. Just place it above where the heat mat is and it should slowly evap out. Let me know how it goes. And I did see somewhere about lining the inside I'll make sure to do that just to be safe. Also heard using Vaseline?? I'd rather stick to the tape :O
    Oh ok, that makes sense. Yeah I'll definitely try it out tomorrow and tell you. Yeah tape is way better, I would never use Vaseline that is a mess and would just be all over your roaches harming your frog eventually I would assume.

Kreamcheese

Final question, I know i've asked a lot and sorry if I'm bugging you. Currently I feed my frogs crickets in a glass bowl, can I do the same with the roaches?

Sublime

Final question, I know i've asked a lot and sorry if I'm bugging you. Currently I feed my frogs crickets in a glass bowl, can I do the same with the roaches?
    No you're not bugging me. Yes you can feed the roaches as well in a glass bowl considering they have all the disadvantages compared to a cricket. You feed your frogs crickets in a bowl because they miss a lot or you like to keep track? I don't see a point in feeding the roaches in a glass bowl, they're large size, not able to climb, not able to fly or hop like a cricket, slow, not aggressive should be very easy for your sloppy eaters to catch, especially your pacman. If you want to though by all means do it if you have them trained to eat out of there.

Kreamcheese

I only do the glass bowl with my white lips. I've seen them catching crickets around the cage and I know they can do it but they tend to smash themselves against the glass at times. Now they just sit on the bowl waiting for their food. I guess I'll try both ways and see what happens.

Sublime

I only do the glass bowl with my white lips. I've seen them catching crickets around the cage and I know they can do it but they tend to smash themselves against the glass at times. Now they just sit on the bowl waiting for their food. I guess I'll try both ways and see what happens.
    Oh ok, then continue to do it with your white lips. That seems like the best option for their safety. I'm going to bed, i feel out of it right now, later.

Thread Information