Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyedFroggie View Post
They're all doing great! The one-eyed frog is still out and about, but she is hiding a bit more often, probably in preparation for hibernating
I have 2 Wood Froglets, and 2 Western Toadlets, I am just starting to figure out their adult diets. I have considered Dubias, but no local pet stores carry them, and I don't have a credit card for online buying.... Otherwise, I'd have no problem breeding them. How great are the benefits of Roaches? I currently supplement the small crickets with Flukers caulcium and phosphorus powder. Occasionally I give them moth larvae from around my house.
This is what I can come up with off my head after researching them for about a month.

Dubia Roaches

.::Pros::.
Perfect size, not too big and not too small reaching maturity
No smell (A dozen crickets can stink more than 2000 roaches in a bin that is cleaned monthly)
No jumping/flying/climbing (Little baby nymphs can climb, just use plastic tape around the side walls, no escapes)
No noise (Little bit of rustling from them walking on the egg flats if you listen closely)
No biting
Long living (1-1 1/2 years after maturing)
Hardy
Retain nutrients for up to 48-72 hours
Low maintenance
All digestible besides the male wings when they reach maturity
High meat-to-shell ratio
Nutritional value of 1 dubia = 10-12 crickets of the same size
Breed fast (Females produce 30-40 baby nymphs in good conditions)
Great for training your frog to be tong fed

.::Cons::.
Bunker down when fed
More expensive
Not as available as crickets
Phobia
Takes awhile to establish a colony

Crickets

.::Pros::.
Available
Cheap
Soft body
Breed fast (Live short lives, annoying to breed)
Retain Nutrients for up to 18-24 hours

.::Cons::.
Bite
Bad meat-to-shell ratio
Contain chitin
Jump
Have to be gut loaded with enough nutrition 24 hours before feeding to be of any nutritional value for your herps
Not very digestible
Harder to catch for your frog
Even adults are small for larger reptiles/amphibians
Noisy
Smell
Not hardy

I'm not biased at all, I still use crickets for feeding my frog while I'm establishing my dubia colony so he doesn't wipe it out. When I researched all the positives of dubias compared to crickets, it was the easiest decision I made to start breeding them. It's been proven that the frogs primarily fed on a dubia diet just grow faster, grow bigger, overall just the best thing you could offer. I don't know what else to tell you about where you can get them since you said you can't buy online or none of your pet shops carry them. You could try going to a herp expo/convention in your area if they have them around you, they should be offered there by one of the booths. You could ask staff working at a reptile shop near you if they could special order the dubias to their shop for you, although that could get pricey. Hope this helps.