Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about my new pacman

pacmatt

Default Concerned about my new pacman

I have had it for five days now and it has not eaten on its own. The second day I force feed it by holding a small cricket in its face until it opened its mouth and I put it in. I now know from this forum that this stresses it, so I'm not doing that again. It still has no interest in the crickets I provide at night. Also, I don't leave the crickets in over night, should I? It has not gone #2 yet, however this morning I found something strange in the water dish pictured below. After breaking this transparent sack like thing open I found what looks like the coco fiber substrate and very small cedar chips like what it was in at the pet store. Please let me know what you all think about this sack thing and what I can do for my baby pacman to make it comfortable enough to eat?

Name:  IMG_1496.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  148.6 KBName:  IMG_1497.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  135.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Concerned about my new pacman

I smell impactation luck..

pacmatt

Is there anything I can do, or do I just wait to see if it passes?

BG

It just passed it. Let the poor guy rest. He is lucky. Let him clear up in side. Keep him warm and keep water bowl clean.

pacmatt

Oh, thats good, and will do on the warmth and water dish.
    I just hope he/she starts to eat soon. Should I leave a few crickets in with it over night? Also, is a heat bulb or a heat pad on the side of the terrarium best for providing heat? Currently the temp is 78 but at night it drops to around 71 so I need to heat it up, and I read that 65% humid is good for baby pacmans.

BG

Watch the drop in temperature.They could use some crickets but don't live them over night. They might hurt the frog. According to some people, the crickets hurt there frogs.

IvoryReptiles

Crickets can & do bite.......and they will attack the frog if it is lethargic.
    I am going to suggest you also try small bits of either earthworms or red wigglers as a food source. I have noticed that some of our froglets are freaked out by all the legs on a cricket sometimes.
    Your frog is an Ornate and once it recovers will probably be a good little eater.
    Keep us posted on this little one's progress.

pacmatt

I increased the heat in the terrarium and offered he/she a red wiggler and it ate it right up along with three small crickets. I think he/she is going to be just fine.

Thanks for the advice guys.

BG

Now that sounds like a normal ornate.i dust the wigglers with calcium and vitamins. Keep them worms going with the bugs. Keep him warm and clean.He is a homerun.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So glad to hear that your little pac is doing better!! Please keep us posted and ask any questions that you have!

pacmatt

My pacman has not eaten since the red wiggler four days ago, and it turns out that it only ate one small cricket, not three. I found the other two in the morning, must have burrowed in the substrate. He/she has not pooped, besides the transparent sack I found in the water dish, since I rescued it sept 23rd. I have kept the temp at 80 deg and the humid at 65-75%. I have also been changing the water dish twice a day and he/she still has no interest in eating. Please help, I am very worried.

IvoryReptiles

Okay, broken record time :

Is the water you are using de-chlorinated? If not, it MUST be!

pacmatt

Yes, all of the water that I use for the terrarium is treated. I use Zoo Med repti safe water conditioner.

Nationality
    [United States]

It could be a picky eater. Or something may have stressed him/her which will also cause them to not eat. I would try different food items incase the problem is just a picky eater. Try wax worms and meal worms. These are by no means good for a staple diet mostly used as treats. Also you could try a red wiggler again. You can offer food before the frog emerges from his/her hole. Just drop the wiggler or other food item in font of the frog. Break the legs off crickets before offering them to your frog to make them easier to catch. If you are worried about illness there is an article on the forum for frog first aid which lists diseases and symptoms of the diseases along with at home treatment recommendations. If your frog starts losing weight rapidly and still doesn't eat you may have to consult a vet.

pacmatt

Ok, so my pacman has not eaten in the last week & a half, and is starting to drop weight. Twice in the last week & a half it went after a cricket that I drop in but after the first attempts it gives up and is not interested. Also, it has not had a real poop in the last two & half weeks that I have had it. I tried soaking it in warm water & getting it to jump around to help any possible impaction, but all that comes out is this clear/white slimy stuff with bits of coco fiber in it. The first couple of days I had it I force feed it one small meal worm & two small crickets (knowing now not to force feed or use meal worms as they are hard to digest), and then the red wiggler & one small cricket a week & a half ago. Shouldn't it have pooped out that food by now? I have also noticed that it has never burrows, it is either in the water dish or on top of the coco fiber. Should I try force feeding again because of the weight loss?

Nationality
    [United States]

I think it may be time to gently force feed. I would start with small calcium sprinkled crickets as to not bloat him up.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pacmatt View Post
    Ok, so my pacman has not eaten in the last week & a half, and is starting to drop weight. Twice in the last week & a half it went after a cricket that I drop in but after the first attempts it gives up and is not interested. Also, it has not had a real poop in the last two & half weeks that I have had it. I tried soaking it in warm water & getting it to jump around to help any possible impaction, but all that comes out is this clear/white slimy stuff with bits of coco fiber in it. The first couple of days I had it I force feed it one small meal worm & two small crickets (knowing now not to force feed or use meal worms as they are hard to digest), and then the red wiggler & one small cricket a week & a half ago. Shouldn't it have pooped out that food by now? I have also noticed that it has never burrows, it is either in the water dish or on top of the coco fiber. Should I try force feeding again because of the weight loss?
    Yep its definetly time to force feed. The off white slimy stuff sounds like the sack coating that covers their poop. Could be mucus though. I would force feed everyday. Don't forget to dust the food. Grif went through the same thing. There won't be much poop if any if your frog is not eating regularly. You must force feed your frog or it will waste away and die. I pulled grif through when he/she was ill and stopped eating. Your frog is too weak and will attempt once then not attempt again because its weak. Start tonight, but start off small. Start with food items that are easy to digest like the red wigglers and wax worms. No meal worms. Small crickets are ok. Even try small chucnks of earth worm or nightcrawler. Also you can buy high protein high calorie cat/dog food in a can and buy a really small seringe from a pharmacy if they have them buy the solid canned food not anything chopped or shredded as you won't be able to suck tose kinds up in the seringe. The canned food is actually a great way to keep them going as it is a whole food item and once you get your frogs mouth open yiou can squirt it in an done. Easy to digest and very easy for your frog to swallow. I did all of this. Once you get energy back into your frog you can start putting weight on buy feeding high fat foods like pinkys. You have to act now. Your frog is at the breaking point. It has gone too long without food. Also buy Flukers Repta-Aid. Critical Care Formula. Its emergency food aid for reptiles and amphibians. It will help your frog stay hydrated and add some extra kick for starting recovery.

Jcal

i would. with something easy to digest like a nightcrawler, cut in half. if he's really skinny maybe a pinky.

Nationality
    [United States]

I also reccomend a trip to the vet, but in the mean time force feed your frog. It is literally starving to death.

pacmatt

I force feed it two calcium dusted wax worms, one small calcium dusted cricket, and a dose of the Fluker's repta+boost (formerly ReptaAid). Should this be sufficient for the first night?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information