Thread: HELP!!! Black Toad Breathing Weird!!!

Poly

Default HELP!!! Black Toad Breathing Weird!!!

Okay, I'm getting stright to the piont, because this scared me!

I went to check/mist my toads, my brown one was sittin on top of the moss, enjoying the misting, the black one is a lot harder to find, so I just look for a second moving throat, so after a min or so, I found him, he had a hole dug in the moss, and was burried in it, then I noticed something, when it was breathing, it would take roughly 4 breaths, then pause for 2 seconds, and just kept repeating this (what I mean by 4 breaths, is it's throat would move in-and-out 4 times, then stop moving for 1 to 2 seconds)...

I panicked, dug him up, and put him in his water bowl(I don't know why his water bowl, but I just thought the cold water might stimulate him or something???), now his breathing is back to a normal rate, well a little faster than normal, because I scared him, digging him up.

Is there anything wrong!?

Sooooo worried right now!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: HELP!!! Black Toad Breathing Weird!!!

Was he fully burried? maybe his airway was slightly blocked and the water washed it out, he also could've been panicked by something. Did you move something fast near him that may have frightened him? I have witnessed my toads breath heavily or "abnormally" and then be fine when they get in the water. I do believe that water soothes them and calms them. I'm sure it's fine Don't be worried. Let me know if he does that again

Poly

No, he wasn't fully burried, and he could of still got air, because the moss let's it through. Nothing fast moved near him, the only thing I can think of, is that he was looking out of the tank, and saw me open the room door, which might scare him..?

Once I put him in water, he was back to normal, and I've been watching him closely today, and he's fine, no abnormal breathing.

Thanks for the info!

~Royce

BG

Sorry to hear that .I'm glad everything is back to some what normal.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    I'm glad everything is back to some what normal.
    So am I!

LazyEyedFroggie

I guess the door may have scared him... but he sees it all the time, so I don't know why it would... Sort of a mystery I'm very glad he's alright now though! and you're welcome

8. This member thanks LazyEyedFroggie for this post:

Poly

Actually, he's only seen the door a few times, I've only had the black toad for 4 days now. Anyhoo, he eats like a champ, when I fed him at lunch, he took down 5 grasshoppers and 3 pill bugs, my brown one took down a worm, and 3 grubs.

LazyEyedFroggie

I know, I forgot about that in my last reply That's a great sign that he's eating so much! Did he notice the door the other few times?

Poly

I don't think so, this might be his actual first time looking directly at the door, when it was opened, all other time, he was doing something else.

LazyEyedFroggie

that's a possibility

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

When my Wood frogs come up to terrarium glass and stare out, I like to sit at their level and observe their faces—especially when I have nothing else to do . However, I tend to notice that they will do as you described with your toad: they will breathe a few breaths and then pause for a few seconds, breathe again then pause, etc….They do this every time. It’s actually quite funny, as with each pause they could be thinking “What are looking at?”

I hope that nothing’s wrong with your toad and that abnormal breathing you observed was just something that happens normally—just like my Woodies— that you haven’t noticed before until now. Or maybe it could have just as LazyEyedFroggie said: he was frightened and needed some water to soothe him. As a dog is a man’s best friend, water is a frog’s best friend.
    Take care,
    -Autumn

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyedFroggie View Post
    . I do believe that water soothes them and calms them. I'm sure it's fine Don't be worried. Let me know if he does that again
    I totally agree on this .

Poly

Yeah, maybe I have just noticed this behavoir.

And, it does sure seem like water soothes and calms them, because as soon as I put it in the water, it went from breathing odd, to normally.

I was happy, because for the first time last night, I came in to see my black toad soaking on it's own, normally I pick it up, and put it in it's water dish, but it was in it's water dish on it's own accord, no help from me!

Thanks,

~Royce

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who panics when things look a little off.

Poly

Haha, nope, your not! He ate a little moss today, so I have a hole new thing to worry about!

But I think he will be fine because the piece he was was really small, gotta take out this moss, because when it gets old, it flakes off in little pieces.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    Yeah, maybe I have just noticed this behavoir.

And, it does sure seem like water soothes and calms them, because as soon as I put it in the water, it went from breathing odd, to normally.

I was happy, because for the first time last night, I came in to see my black toad soaking on it's own, normally I pick it up, and put it in it's water dish, but it was in it's water dish on it's own accord, no help from me!

Thanks,

~Royce
    That's great that you heard your toad croaking on his own accord!! I'm always elated when I hear my frogs chirp....it's so fascinating!

LazyEyedFroggie

Water most definately is a frogs best friend! That's great that it started going in the water on it's own. Maybe it realized it's like therapy

Thread Information