Thread: Heating for acrylic tank?

erini

Default Heating for acrylic tank?

I purchased a Repitherm mat to place on the side of the tank for heating during the winter months - but while I was reading the instructions it said it was for glass only. Are there any heat pads that are safe to use with acrylic? And just to educate me - why is the Repitherm not safe to use with acrylic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Heating for acrylic tank?

It might start a fire. Also when you heat acrylic,it releases toxic smells. Just a thought. Not a good idea. It will also kill what ever is in the container.

erini

Thanks! I'm not using it, but I wanted to know why I'm not using it since it didn't actually describe why acrylic+heat pad=bad lol. I will go ahead and stick with lights then! (On a sidenote - anyone want a brand new Repi therm pad? I can't return it, I opened it.)

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

George is on point here. There is a risk with plastic that the it would overheat and melt.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Sublime

I'm not familiar with acrylic at all, but I'm using a zoo-med under tank heater on the bottom side of a heave duty roughneck rubbermaid to house a colony of dubias. The bin is made from polyethylene plastic, heating point is very high so I'm not concerned with the temperature getting to 105-110F, but I have a rheostat just in case. Everyone uses them for all their advantages, although I wouldn't recommend using one on your acrylic. I agree with George that it could potentially let out toxic fumes harming your amphibian. The heat pads all have that warning sign, but I've never heard of stories where Rubbermaids or Sterilites have caught on fire or melted from them.

Kreamcheese

Quote Originally Posted by erini View Post
    Thanks! I'm not using it, but I wanted to know why I'm not using it since it didn't actually describe why acrylic+heat pad=bad lol. I will go ahead and stick with lights then! (On a sidenote - anyone want a brand new Repi therm pad? I can't return it, I opened it.)
    how much for the pad?

caverboy

I am in the same situation with my 10 gallon acrylic hex tank ( 2 BETFs ). Currently a 50w infrared bulb is maintaining the heat, but I worry about the coming winter and a cold house. I am debating putting a ceramic tile between the heating pad and the tank to spread the heat evenly and minimize the chance of outgassing by the acrylic overheating. Has anybody tried this ??

Thanks in advance.

erini

Sorry Andrew, I already had someone claim it as soon as I posted about it on another forum!

Caver - I ended up solving the problem by using a small space heater set about 2 feet away from the vivarium that has temperature control on it. I can maintain the temperatures very nicely now with it and it's small enough that it doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't overheat the whole room.

BG

They also sell the low wattage tape for the snake trays,but the plastic made for trays is much thicker then the clear acrylic. Better safe then sorry. Good job on the heater. Thats what i do. The frogs are in a climate controlled room.

Thread Information