Thread: African Clawed frogs, cannibals?

mattman0182

Default African Clawed frogs, cannibals?

I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank and my ACF is my only resident at the moment.I was thinking about getting an albino to put in there with him. My problem is that he is 2 years old so the frogs at the store are a bit smaller. I was informed that my frog would more than likely eat the young albino. I was also told that albinos are more aggressive than regular frogs so there will probably be conflict. Is this true?

I apologize for the amateur questions, i just don't want to get an animal just to send it to its death. :/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African Clawed frogs, cannibals?

Good questions! I keep both "wild type" and albino ACFs. It has been my experience that the albinos are physically smaller and less aggressive than the wild caught ones. My four albino males get along very well together. However, like everything else, there are always exceptions to every rule. To be safe, make sure they are about the same size. "Wild types" are much larger and tend to be bullies. Also, make sure that there are more females than males in the tank. I have seen males attack lone females.

As far as cannibalism goes, I been keeping ACFs for 30 years and never seen it.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

mattman0182

Hmmmm Thank you VERY much for the reply! Well I actually wanted to by the Albino from the same exact store in which I got my regular frog. I just really like how the albinos look and i have a 29 gal with just a frog lol. I had some fish but they all died in a suspected ammonia spike. :/

This brings me to my other problem, sexing the frogs. Is it harder to sex younger ones? Such as the ones I may find in the pet store. If I do end up getting one, Ill get the biggest one they have, which will still be smaller than my regular ACF. My gf has a small tank she i not using, so if my frog is mean to the albino, I can simply move him.

Also, my tank heater is broken, so the tank has been at room temperature all season, should i invest in a new heater? Winter is approaching so the temps in my room will probably drop a little.

BTW its good to know they probably wont eat each other. I actually believed the lady when she told me they are prone to swallow smaller of their own species.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

ACFs are hard to sex until they reach sexual maturity. Males take about one year and females about 9 months. Once they reach maturity, it will be easy to tell them apart. I have posted pictures and a brief gender checklist on my Tongueless Society Group at
    http://www.frogforum.net/groups/tongueless-society.html
    Terry Gampper

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

mattman0182

Thanks a lot for the link. I am thinking my frog is a guy since he is not really fat. Loves to hide under a piece of driftwood I have in the tank. He's not socialized with humans though. :/ I'll keep thinking about it. One thing is for sure, I do take care of the animals i get, unlike a lot of customers who randomly purchase animals without knowing how to properly care for them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
    Also, my tank heater is broken, so the tank has been at room temperature all season, should i invest in a new heater? Winter is approaching so the temps in my room will probably drop a little.
    There isn't any reason to have a heater if the room temperature keeps above 65 degrees. It gets quite cold here in Nebraska and I never needed one.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
    BTW its good to know they probably wont eat each other. I actually believed the lady when she told me they are prone to swallow smaller of their own species.
    As I mentioned in another post, there are always exceptions. My albinos males are very mellow and often they take turns amplexing each other (not sure of the reason). I have noticed some mild aggression with my "wild types", I think its a feeding frenzy more than anything else. Most of the time, my frogs chill out with their head poking out of the water.
    Terry Gampper

---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Canada]

Just to be safe I would grow out the new guy first. Years ago when I didn't know any better I had small frogs and adult frogs in together. The small frogs disappeared. If it fits in a ACF's mouth, it will be eaten. Again this was years ago and I didn't know any better.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

ditto to Tony

Adults will eat young frogs. If it can fit in their mouth, it is dinner.

I have a few adult females, including 2 adult albino females I am selling if you are looking for adults. I have them posted in the for sale section
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

mattman0182

Wow, guys thanks for all the help.

It would be cool to buy one of your albinos but I am all the way down in MD :/

My GF has a smaller tank 10-20 gal? I may set that one up to put a young albino in until its big enough to hold its own against my adult ACF. Also was thinking about putting a bristlenose pleco in the tank, but that would require me to use the heater and tank filter, which could irritate the ACF. Although he has bunked with fish before (even a small pike cichlid, they actually got along). But my fish all died in a suspected ammonia spike :/, im thinking from a goldfish my bro had in my tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

Just wanted to let you know, shipping to MD is no problem at all. I ship Mondays, arrival by Wednesday/Thursday for $23.50.

As for a BN pleco...their minimum tank requirement is about 25 gallons for one pleco.

Also, filters do not bother ACF and are extremely beneficial to their health by giving them a healthier living environment. Otherwise all the waste between waterchanges produces ammonia which irritates and burns the ACF skin. A cycled filter turns ammonia into nitrite (also bad) and nitrite into nitrate (not bad!!!) leaving your frog in a safer environment.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

mattman0182

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Just wanted to let you know, shipping to MD is no problem at all. I ship Mondays, arrival by Wednesday/Thursday for $23.50.

As for a BN pleco...their minimum tank requirement is about 25 gallons for one pleco.

Also, filters do not bother ACF and are extremely beneficial to their health by giving them a healthier living environment. Otherwise all the waste between waterchanges produces ammonia which irritates and burns the ACF skin. A cycled filter turns ammonia into nitrite (also bad) and nitrite into nitrate (not bad!!!) leaving your frog in a safer environment.
    Well, the gf really really wants me to just get a baby and keep it in the other tank lol. My current frog is in a 29 gal. So I think im gonna re-do the interior of the tank and put a BN Pleco in with him. Maybe also some wisteria. Ill also try to put him in a small container to get some pics.

I have an aquaclear filter. just need to clean it up and change the sponge part. Hope he stays off the top of it.

Thread Information