Thread: Yeah!!!

Kurt

Default Yeah!!!

It is so cool to have a forum for treefrogs. They make up most of my collection and I am interested in keeping even more Hylids, Hyperoliidids, and Rhacophoridids. I am especially interested in Agalychnis annae, Phyllomedusa sauvagii, Rhacophorus reinwardtii, Litoria gracilenta, L. xanthomera, and L. chloris. I have noticed that waxy monkeys are coming down in price.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Yeah!!!

I must confess that I've never kept tree frogs. I know quite a bit about them but never kept them. How interactive are the species that you keep Kurt?

Kurt

Red-eyes are not interactive at all, but they sure are pretty. My clowns are beginning to warm up to me, they're pretty too, but quite small. I used to have a pair of gray treefrogs, Hyla versicolor that I caught, one in New Hampshire and the other on my back porch. They were very interactive! I reluctantly gave them to a friend for her wildlife education business and she gave them away to someone else. I do miss them. I wonder how they are doing. My big-eye treefrog is somewhat interactive as well. You can see him and my fingers on page 53 of "Your Happy Healthy Pet Frogs and Toads" 2nd Edition by Steve Grenard. Then of course there are my White's, definitely interactive and they get large. I have seen an adult one eat an adult mouse once . Mine got a pinkie each about a year or so ago. My green treefrog is good too, although he was never part of the collection plan. I hear waxy monkeys, Phyllomedusa sauvagii are good too. I have yet to get any.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Thanks for that Kurt. When you say White's are interactive, can you elaborate on it? I know they can be handled but I'm thinking more of how they react to humans.

Kurt

They know when its feeding time and one of them will climb onto my hand to be fed. I feed them in a Rubbermaid box and as soon as I put them in they immediately go into feeding mode, even if the food isn't there yet. Is that interactive enough? The only amphibian that I can say is truly interactive is the tiger salamander. They will come right up to you.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They know when its feeding time and one of them will climb onto my hand to be fed. I feed them in a Rubbermaid box and as soon as I put them in they immediately go into feeding mode, even if the food isn't there yet. Is that interactive enough? The only amphibian that I can say is truly interactive is the tiger salamander. They will come right up to you.

That feeding reaction is common with a lot of caudate species.

I have a big female Rana catesbiena here that will lunge at my hand during feeding time.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The only amphibian that I can say is truly interactive is the tiger salamander. They will come right up to you.
    That has been my experience too. I really would like to understand why they are so bold relative to other species. Just off the top of my head I can't think of even a lizard that out-does the tiger salamander. Can you?

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just off the top of my head I can't think of even a lizard that out-does the tiger salamander. Can you?
    I used to have a giant day gecko, Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis that would come up to me and take food from my fingers through the mesh of the screen top of his cage. So I guess you can say he was interactive. He would freak out if you actually put your hand in the cage, but through the mesh he felt safe enough to take food from my hand.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I'll chime in on the lizard. I have a very old Uromastyx that is very nearly dog like. (Trying not to anthropomorphize) He is incredibly interactive. And from what I understand Phyllomedusa are also quite interactive and friendly.

Kurt

I have had my Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis for 8+ years now, its not very interactive at all.

jody

after a year, two of three grf's hop on my hand when I reach in to refill the water dish. they are used to me messing with the tank, and no longer stress as they first did. one got out, and woke me by hopping on my face, and now must hop onto my face during cleanings or feedings if it can.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    one got out, and woke me by hopping on my face, and now must hop onto my face during cleanings or feedings if it can.
    You probably have a nice face.

justin shockey

ya my whites are so hard to get back in to the tank thay dont let go i have to make them

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    ya my whites are so hard to get back in to the tank thay dont let go i have to make them
    All treefrogs are like that. Some are worse then others.

justin shockey

sup man thanks for the peply what kinds
    do you keep

Kurt

Currently I keep Hyla cinerea, Dendropsophus leucophyllatus, Agalychnis callidryas, Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis, Litoria caerulea, and Leptopelis vermiculatus. In the past I have also kept Hyla versicolor, Hyla gratiosa, Litoria infrafrenata, and Heterixalus madagascariensis. I am hoping to get some Hypsiboas punctatus, Rhacophorus reinwardtii, Litoria chloris, Litoria gracilenta, or Phyllomedusa sauvagii at the up-coming Manchester show.

jody

awe thanx kurt, im feeling over forty these days.

justin shockey

nice man i hope you do that woud be sweet

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    nice man i hope you do that woud be sweet
    Thanks. Of course I can't take on all them, so if by some chance they are all for sale I will have to make a decision.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    awe thanx kurt, im feeling over forty these days.
    I am over forty these days.

Thread Information