Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank mates for my Fire-Bellies?

TheRealJovA

Default Tank mates for my Fire-Bellies?

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMan View Post
    this is exactly the issue. how often does a pet store sell another animal that can be found in the same place as a firebelly? I kept a green treefrog with 2 firebellies once and they all did fine, but they had plenty of space and I kept the water bowl clean and I separated them at feeding time. the only other time I've had anything living with firebellies is when snail eggs would up on plants from petsmart and snails invaded my firebelly tadpole tank. firebellies do just fine with each other though and you really can never have too many firebellies. I have 30 of them! lol
    My lord ! 30 FBT ! Dang ! Lol Did you Breed them? And By the way you cannot find any information about their "Wildlife" online. It's as if people are keeping FBT's real life a secret . I'm probably going to have to go to japan an observe FBT's in the wild myself . Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. This member thanks TheRealJovA for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MantisMan

Default Re: Tank mates for my Fire-Bellies?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealJovA View Post
    My lord ! 30 FBT ! Dang ! Lol Did you Breed them? And By the way you cannot find any information about their "Wildlife" online. It's as if people are keeping FBT's real life a secret . I'm probably going to have to go to japan an observe FBT's in the wild myself . Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i did breed them
    26 r toadlets
    they are found in deciduous forests in east asia south of korea

Unhappy Re: Tank mates for my Fire-Bellies?

Quote Originally Posted by missfrogger View Post
    i wouldn't suggest a mystery snail - we had one with just 1 fbt and i noticed after a while his shell started to deteriorate and he eventually died. it may have been a fluke, but my guess was the snail couldn't handle the fbt's toxins.
    Okay, this snail most likely died from calcium deficiency. Lack of calcium causes snail's shells to deteriorate and eventually die.

100+ Post Member Cliygh and Mia 2's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hmm, interesting. I did not know snails could be affected by that. The more you know

Can fire bellied toads and yellow bellied toads live together

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The comments at the beginning of this thread are not as accurate as they claim to be. There can be many benefits to having mixed species setups.

Fish in a paludarium for Whites Tree Frogs or others would not have any effect on the frogs because you would have to change the water anyway. Also some fish will eat things out of the frogs poop that even though is disgusting the fish get added nutrients from crickets and such. Millipedes and Snails benefit their inhabitants because they eat poop, decaying plant matter and I know the Millipedes eat mold up to some point. The Millipedes can clean the setup if bioactive and they can do a better job at us finding poop that may be hidden to us.

If you keep some frogs and toads together depending on a few variables like native environment, size, temp and humidity requirements among other variables it can work out with little problems. Same species setups have problems as well with competition for food, social hierarchies and stress. In an article from Frank Indiviglio he talks about toads and wood frogs how they can be kept together with ease because of the variables between both species being favorable. This can be the case with tree frogs and toads native to the US as well.

Southeastern Five Lined Skinks and some costal tree frogs like the Squirrel Tree Frog have a unique relationship as the Skinks sleep the tree frogs can eat and as the tree frogs sleep the Skinks can eat so they won't see each other.

This was very taboo but over the past few years has become more acceptable due to keepers doing more research and asking good questions. Also there have been more positive stories that have come from keepers with these setups. Keeping mixed species setups is something that has been evolving and been a growing trend with keeping herps now especially more then ever. It's good to see the hobby progressing and branching out.

As for your question about the toads you might want to put that in the toad subforum!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information