Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Not Eating

LizardMama

Default Still Not Eating

So it's been 2 weeks since I gave my frog that 1 Meal Worm (small), since then he hasn't eaten anything else (has food all the time, usually throw in 2 crickets a night, small ones about 3/4 inches). When he's in the water his eyelids are up and he has clear eyes but when he's not his lids are closed giving him a cloudy eye appearance. Today I went and tried to move him, checking to see if he was alright and he hissed at me. He moves fine, I find him in different places when I turn his light on.

I'm really trying to figure out why he isn't eating. I've dangled food right in front of his face, even touched his mouth with it (Meal Worm, Wax Worm or a cricket). He will not eat it, I've put food in his cage and he just sits and does nothing. He does seem to be interested in water though, found him in his water dish a few days ago, he moved all over in his water dish but didn't get out. Humidity is in the 75-80 degree mark, I'm trying to keep his temperature in the 80's (sometimes it will drop to 78-80 degrees due to the AC).

He's still a big frog, fat besides the fact of him not eating much of anything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Still Not Eating

It could be. The AC. BG had trouble with one of his Ornates and when he got him away from the AC and into a room without it the frog came back. There is something with the AC that even if the enclosure reads correctly it still affects the frog. I would try and get Octavian into a room with out AC and see if that helps.

BG

Its true. I had the same problem. It was too obvious. The frog was doing great. When the ac went on for the first time of the summer. The room went down to 69 for a whole day. I went to feed the frogs and the cranwelli was the only one to eat. The fantasy and ornate were not eating. So i waited and waited. The only problem was the fantasy was the same size. No signs of starvation. The ornate,I'm embarrassed to say was skin and bones and head. He got skinny. I had to force feed him. That day everybody ate fuzzys.The cranwelli was fine.the fantasy after refusing food grabbed the fuzzy. The ornate refused the fuzzy so i injected the fuzzy with liquid calcium and vitamins from flukers. All i did was jam the blown up fuzzy in the ornats jaws. It took him 15 minutes to swallow the food. He was week. Then i started with worms and worked my way up . Now he's my best eater.

LizardMama

I'll be moving him away from the AC here soon, today I went to see if he was alright and noticed that his eyes are clear and open. Still hasn't eaten anything but I noticed today that his body has a more squishy feel to it. I'm now wondering if he's stressed out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LizardMama View Post
    I'll be moving him away from the AC here soon, today I went to see if he was alright and noticed that his eyes are clear and open. Still hasn't eaten anything but I noticed today that his body has a more squishy feel to it. I'm now wondering if he's stressed out.
    It is very possible. There are a number of factors that can cause them ti be stressed. The AC might be # 1 in this case but I'm not an expert.

BG

Keep him away from drafts. I hope he gets hungry again. If not, wait it out and see if he gets worst physically like weight loose. I hope he don't have parasites. Just a thought.

demeteraurion

When you guys say AC are you talking about a window air condition or a heat/air system? We have central heat and air but I don't know if it affects my animals, my vent barely blows so my room is typically a lot warmer. But winter is coming so its going to mean it will be colder too.

BG

Your pacman has awusome colors. I love the brown tone on him. He looks bloated in one pic. From the back view. Jast a thought. Hope he gets better . You might have to get him a pinky.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by demeteraurion View Post
    When you guys say AC are you talking about a window air condition or a heat/air system? We have central heat and air but I don't know if it affects my animals, my vent barely blows so my room is typically a lot warmer. But winter is coming so its going to mean it will be colder too.
    Any AC window or central air. Something about the cooling of the air affects them. Even if the enclosure gauge reads correct it doesn't mean the frog is not feeling the affects. I assume that the warmer temp in the enclosure and the cooler air outside it causes a vaccume that must pull cool air into the enclosure as the warm air rises out. The cool air replaces the warm air creating a draft. It might trigger them into winter mode but not fully so they're awake but don't feel the erge to feed

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Your pacman has awusome colors. I love the brown tone on him. He looks bloated in one pic. From the back view. Jast a thought. Hope he gets better . You might have to get him a pinky.
    I second that. Atleast if your frog eats a pinky it will tide him over for about a week or alil less. Is he large enough for a new born pinky by the pics?

BG

In this case he still to young for rodents. But he can eat one. Its small and soft. Some time he'll take it afer 5 minutes.

LizardMama

Was reading up on what my frog is currently doing and discovered, to my horror, that he might be dying . He's very bloated, not the firm little thing he was yesterday, squishy-like. Both of his hind legs are splayed out, he will move them but only slightly. I hope that what I read is wrong and that he's just in a state of shock (been this way all day, first time he's done this).

BG

You have to soak him in 80 degree water. Add a little dash of aquarium salt. Hopfully. He passes what is blocking .Good luck

LizardMama

Can I just use simple salt? I don't have aquarium salt, what can be used in place of aquarium salt?

BG

No cause regular saly has iodine in it and that will kill him.
    Can I just use simple salt? I don't have aquarium salt, what can be used in place of aquarium salt?

LizardMama

Had him in his "bath" for an hour then took him out, I'm not sure but he might have brought his leg up some when I pulled him from the water. I hope that he comes through tonight and is okay tomorrow

BG

They are fighters. I know that as a fact from my frogs. Let him rest cause handling gets them crazy.

LizardMama

Alright. I noticed that during the bath he had a cloudiness around him and I checked it out. Bunch of unshed skin mainly around his legs and stomach. I hated to do it but I took the skin out of the water then left him be. I'm doing just about all I can think of to help him out

LizardMama

Sadly, Octavian died last night .

Sublime

Sadly, Octavian died last night .
    Very sorry for your loss , the skin abnormalities could of been caused by chytridiomycosis. Does affect the Ceratophrys species unfortunately. Could of been a number of other things... Again, sorry he couldn't of fought just a little bit longer to get treated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information