Thread: New White's tree frog burying itself in coconut husk?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New White's tree frog burying itself in coconut husk?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum : )
    I'm a first time frog owner, I just brought home an Indonesian White's tree frog. I thought I did pretty careful research before buying one, bought a nice big tank, some branches and fake plants, a water dish and coconut substrate. I splashed in some drinking water until the bedding was quite moist (though not consistently, sadly I don't have a spray bottle on hand yet but I will soon). The first hour or so of his time in his new tank has been pretty active, he has been walking around a bit, trying to climb on the walls, and I fed him a cricket. Now, however, he has crawled under some of the Coco husk, so that he's pretty much invisible from the top of the tank, and has been motionless for hours. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time,
    A T

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New White's tree frog burying itself in coconut husk?

Have a look at the similar threads at the bottom of this page. It is usually a humidity issue.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum AT. Also...when you have a chance try and post a picture of his tank. Although I do agree it sounds like a humidity issue frogs also don't like to feel exposed. They need places where they can hide. The more densely planted your tank is the more active and comfortable your frog will feel.

Nationality
    [United States]

That makes sense. His tank is not densely planted because I just got him and tank decor is surprisingly expensive at the store where I was buying everything : P Any suggestions for a makeshift, safe shelter that I can put in there?

BG

If you have a light, turn it off. They are nocturnal. Once he gets used to the tank,turn it on. Plus what the pros sad about humidity.

Nationality
    [United States]

I will try that, BG, thank you : ) Also, slightly unrelated, but is it OK if I boil tap water, wait until it cools and then spray the tank with that, instead of buying drinking water?

BG

Water type has come up many times. The boiling of the water will make it distilled. I would pass it through a good water filter as well and then add some drops of dechlorinater. I'm thinking of using a RO system. Reverse osmosis. Thats the best way to go.

mommyof4froglovers

While it is probably humidity I have had two Whites do this for the first couple of days and I think it might have to do with feeling safer and more hiden. I believe they know the difference in live and fake plants and when they are fake they dont feel as safe the first few days. Hope your new frog snaps out of it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you both, I'm glad it's not a sign that he's unhealthy or anything. It is his second night in the tank, and unlike last night he is sitting on the edge of his water bowl happy as a clam...So, since I am brand new to this, I am going to have a ton of questions, and I'm going to be paranoid, haha... Should I start a new thread for each one? I noticed some small brown marks around his upper lip in the front, and I'm not sure whether they're scratches or pieces of coconut that got stuck to his face when he dove to catch his first cricket. I don't even think if I took photos it would be possible to tell, they're just small brown lines. Should I do anything? They've been there since at least last night.

Nabced

Could just be substrate my frogs get it all over themselves no biggy it comes off when they soak at night!

Thread Information