Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FrogFevers 55g Display Tank Build...

Kristen

Default Re: FrogFevers 55g Display Tank Build...

When I made my tank, I bought WAYY to much plants for it, but about half died anyway. haha
    I cant wait to see the picture of the planted tank!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

FrogFever

Before I post the final pictures and the video I've decided to post the rest of the build first. Its all about the anticipation.

55 gallon custom canopy process.

4 pieces of glass cut. 23 1/4in x 5 3/8in from Aces Hardware for only $12 w/ tax! (Its says quantity 1, but it was actually 4.)

4 bare pieces laid out before sanding.

Here I have marked where I plan on drilling the holes.

Outlined with Play-Doh to keep water on the hole saw while cutting.
    Play-doh: $2

Diamond coated hole saw 7 piece set. 11-25mm. Ebay - $14
    I've never drilled glass before so this will be my very first attempt.
    I discovered that the 25mm would not be big enough to pass all the wires through so I had to buy a 40mm one as well from Amazon. $5.55
    40mm=1.5in. This hole was big enough to allow the Lights in Flights bulky wires to pass through as well as the large water pump plug in.

During the drilling process I very easily drilled the 11mm holes that I'm making to hang the vines from.. BUT the 40mm is a whole other story... I think it was a combination of me drilling to close to the edge of the glass and my pushing too hard that ended up breaking both pieces of glass!! Good thing I had two more left of the exact same size.

So I managed to get all of the holes drilled in the two remaining pieces, thank god. The key is to be slow and steady. I would highly recommend having a hose moving flowing water over the glass holes while they're being cut.
    The 2 more glass pieces at Aces cost me $8 this time. I definitely got hooked up the first time.

So I thought of something creative to cover these 1.5in holes in the top glass.
    I bought these (3) computer grommets from Aces Hardware. A whopping $4.57 each with the caps.

Grommets inserted in holes.

While the glass is sitting on the top of the tank the background is too high in some places so I had to cut the grommets down to fit.
    A Dremel can be a vivarium builders best friend.

Camouflaged with silicone and peat moss.

Front opening lid pieces with 'living hinge' attached. I got the living hinge from USPlastics.com - 6ft for $9

To allow the living hinge to lie flat along the edges of the tank with the glass it is necessary to cut the bottom end portion of each side as shown. One is cut, the other is not. (I kind of butchered the first one, but touched it up with sandpaper.)

Picture of the screws I use for the vines/roots.

Glass top afixed and siliconed in place with aquarium sealant. GE II clear silicone would've worked just as well.

Picture of the grommets in place. Very clean look to the whole top imo.

Final touches and final photos coming very soon.

FrogFever

I have to include a picture of these black nitrile gloves. 100 pack + 100 bonue for only $13 at Home Depot.
    These have saved the day on many occasions. If I didn't have these my girl wouldn't even bother helping me. We went through 40+ of them with this build.

I used black contact paper to cover the sides and back to give the frogs a more "secure" place to live.
    Magic Cover black contact paper - 18in. X 24ft. - Amazon.com -$13

Side of tank before contact paper...

After. Very clean.

Painted shrooms.

These pictures really don't do justice to the real life sight.

Another variety.

The blue is not as vivid as the green but still looks awesome in the tank right after the lights go off for the night.

We ended up applying 3 or 4 coats of glow-in-the-dark paint to really make them glow. It dries a whitish color that kind of takes away from the fine details of the painted shrooms, but well worth the trade off.

FrogFever

I've still got a couple minor adjustments and additions to make to the tank, but I'll post those in due time. I do plan on making a final post with the total dollar amount spent to make this vivarium. I will however, post the full planted tank picture since some of you have been patiently waiting!

Still waiting on a better lighting system, but I really like this picture.

I may take out some of the leaves to avoid the messy look it creates.

Water area close up.
    Note: I can't stress this enough for beginners. After a weeks time I have come to find (just as I thought I might) that the water from the waterfall feature managed to soak into the great stuff enough for it to makes its way around the vertical glass partition (which I put up in order to stop the water from dripping into the soil mix) and dripping into the substrate! It was a slow drip, but it eventually soaked all of the substrate in the dry land section. To remedy this I cut the great stuff to a point that dripped just near the water's edge. This was close enough to the water area that the drip would drip onto a large magnolia leaf first that helped guide the trickle into the water section. So ALWAYS make a glass partition bigger than you think you need it to be. Water will always find the quickest route downward so when carving the foam keep any "carved points" in the area where you want the water to drip into. I'll try to get pictures of what I'm talking about.

Still waiting to see which plants hold up and I'll prolly add a couple more vines/ ground cover.

Waterfall video is next.

FrogFever

I finally got my new toy today. Shipped from China.

Programmable Timer

Here you can see all the options it has.

I also got 3 bags of Java Moss from EBay for $20. Now if I only new what the green fabric netting was used for...
    I just used some of the java moss and attached it to wood and the slate rock
    as per the instructions.

FrogFever

It has finally arrived. The display build video. Check it out! (This is the only way I can figure out how to get it to post on here...)

Video :: 022.mp4 video by FrogFever - Photobucket

FrogFever

Just an update:
    I ordered and installed 2 larger sized acrylic handles from JoshsFrogs- $3 for both.

AND I finally got my lighting set up! I searched far and wide to see if I could find a killer deal on Craigslist, but no such luck in the last couple months. I've decided to go with this one here... 48", LEDs, actinic (will be replaced with a different day light bulb), and a 10000k bulb. It got 5 stars on Amazon so I had to go with it.
    $76 shipped! Plus $12 for a 5500k bulb.

Amazon.com: Db Solarmaxhe2 Double T5 10000k Strip W/led 48": Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Db Solarmaxhe2 Double T5 10000k Strip W/led 48": Pet Supplies

The LED lights are always on.

So far I am very impressed with its quality. The only thing I would change is that the different lights could be plugged in separately. Instead when one is on they are both on (or off, depending on the switches). I guess I'll just have to just do it by hand.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to take a great full tank shot dead on without getting a blinding reflection.

It sure does give a nice constant brightness to the tank though.

FrogFever

Since I don't plan on making any more additions to this viv I tallied the total amount spent. Lights, tank, stand, plants, substrate, electronics, supplies, and the 5 Anthonyis inhabiting it the grand total comes to... drum roll please...

$957!

The joy and contentment I get from this is absolutely worth it in every way.

Keep in mind that this pricing is with me finding the least expensive price/item on every purchase. Paying full retail price at chain retail stores for everything one can likely expect to add 25-75% to the final price.

FrogFever

And just so you all can put a face to my name here's a quick couple pics of me, and my girl. A huge thanks to her for all of her help and understanding throughout the entire process!

Pac man

The best tank ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information