Thread: Some queations about African Dwarf Frog

Pekams

Default Some queations about African Dwarf Frog

I'd like to keep African Dwarf frog, so I have some questions:
    1. Can Dwarf frog feed on only raw minced meat (beef, pork and fish), vegetables and commercial frog food, rather than worms, bloodworm or brineshrimp ? (it is a bit difficult for me to buy and store various worms)
    2. Can Dwarf frog live in a tank without bottom sand?
    3. Is it necessary to keep more than two frogs in a tank, since they are social animals?
    I'm looking forward your replys!
    Thank you very much!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some queations about African Dwarf Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Pekams View Post
    I'd like to keep African Dwarf frog, so I have some questions:
    1. Can Dwarf frog feed on only raw minced meat (beef, pork and fish), vegetables and commercial frog food, rather than worms, bloodworm or brineshrimp ? (it is a bit difficult for me to buy and store various worms)
    Other than the worms, the best food would be the commercial frog food. Often ADFs will eat non-living foods. They will eat a variety of freeze-dried or frozen worms too. Minced meat should not be given due to the high fat content.

2. Can Dwarf frog live in a tank without bottom sand?
    It is best to use a substrate. You can use sand or gravel. Make sure you have a good undergravel filter and provide plenty of hiding places. A variety of aquatic plants would make an attractive aquarium. They do not damage the plants.

3. Is it necessary to keep more than two frogs in a tank, since they are social animals?
    I'm looking forward your replys!
    Thank you very much!
    A single frog is OK. Frogs are generally not very social except during breeding time. However ADFs can live quite well in small groups. You can put 6 frogs in a 80 liter/20 gallon tank.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

3. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Pekams

Thank you for the reply! Are fish or shrimp meat OK for ADFs?
    And can ADFs eat seafood, such as marine minced fish and shrimp? I know frogs' skin cannot be touched with anything saliferous. However, I live in Amsterdam now, it is easy to get various seafood.

Pekams

Thank you for the reply! Are fish or shrimp meat OK for ADFs?
    And can ADFs eat seafood, such as marine minced fish and shrimp? I know frogs' skin cannot be touched with anything saliferous. However, I live in Amsterdam now, it is easy to get various seafood.
    Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Other than the worms, the best food would be the commercial frog food. Often ADFs will eat non-living foods. They will eat a variety of freeze-dried or frozen worms too. Minced meat should not be given due to the high fat content.

It is best to use a substrate. You can use sand or gravel. Make sure you have a good undergravel filter and provide plenty of hiding places. A variety of aquatic plants would make an attractive aquarium. They do not damage the plants.

A single frog is OK. Frogs are generally not very social except during breeding time. However ADFs can live quite well in small groups. You can put 6 frogs in a 80 liter/20 gallon tank.

Pekams

I'm very sorry that I regarded "Introduction Area" as the sub-forum to introduce basic related knowledge of frogs rather than one for reports of new comers mistakenly. And I found that mistake just now.

Thread Information