Thread: So water crystals for Dubia, Yay or nay?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default So water crystals for Dubia, Yay or nay?

What do you guys think about water crystals or water gel? I've heard both sides saying absolutely necessary, and others that say that it is not needed whatsoever, and it is actually harmful to the reptile/phibs your feeding. What do you guys use?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: So water crystals for Dubia, Yay or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by steest View Post
    What do you guys think about water crystals or water gel? I've heard both sides saying absolutely necessary, and others that say that it is not needed whatsoever, and it is actually harmful to the reptile/phibs your feeding. What do you guys use?
    Water gel crystals are perfectly fine, they also help with humidity for the dubias to properly molt. Dubias require moderate humidity 20-50% (Not much). This is achievable with a shallow dish full of water gel crystals for the roaches to drink from and some of the water evaporates leaving moisture in the air. If you are providing fresh fruits or vegetables on a regular basis the crystals are probably not needed, but in case not all the roaches get to drink you should provide them with a dish of crystals. There just non-toxic water-absorbing dried polymer crystals that expand to 400x their original size. Benefits: Humidity, inexpensive, extra source of water, don't dry out quick like a wet paper towel, etc. Found in any plant nursery or online. Completely harmless to your herps after they drink from it. Hope this helps.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok awesome, thanks again mark.

Nationality
    [United States]

What do you guys use for a heating source?

Sublime

I bought a medium sized zoo med under tank heater on amazon and a infrared thermometer gun so we'll see how hot it gets. I have a 22 gallon rubbermaid bin setup to buy some dubias, I just need to make sure the temps are right. People recommend if you're going to use a heat mat that you buy a rheostat or thermostat to regulate heat (I'm not going to, I want it to get pretty hot so I don't care as long as it doesn't get out of control). If you can find a heat mat at any pharmacy store, Walgreens, etc. that is 24 hours without shutting off then that's a good buy too that gets up to around 100-105F. Preferably use a surge protector as well to prevent voltage spikes while it is left on 24 hours hours at a time. Flukers makes these heat mats that heat at a constant 100F and can be used inside of the enclosure laying on the bottom, etc. You want to heat the side with all the egg flats and the side with the food leave the heat mats off of so the roaches can cool off. The heat mats over there egg flats will allow them to thermoregulate and breed without problems as long as the bottom is around 90-95, preferably 92-95 will really get them going. Some people use nocturnal bulbs as a heat source hanging over the ventilated part into the bin, but that's a little inconvenient compared to heat mats.

Thread Information