Thread: New To Forum And Frogs!

Manchas

Default New To Forum And Frogs!

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and to owning tree frogs or frogs in general. I have a new whites tree frog named Manchas, I have done a ton of reserch on whites over the internet and had a coulple questions. First a little background, My frog currently resides in a tall ten gallon terrarium.
    1) How can I or is it possible to merge a regular aquarium to a tall terrarium?
    2) Also I have not been able to find any good step by step instructions on how to make a false bottom, any advice is very very useful
    3) A side note to the last one is I don't want to have to change the water very often...
    Any other advice is helpful!
    Thanks,
    Manchas

Also....
    What kind of plants should I use for my terrarium and what is the best way to make a background.?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kreamcheese

Default Re: New To Forum And Frogs!

Part 1: Building A Vertical Dart Frog Vivarium HD - YouTube
    1)Merge an aquarium or convert an aquarium? I'm assuming you mean convert and this video is a 4 part video I believe and it shows the basic process for doing so (Even though the video is for dart frogs).
    2)That video sums up the false bottom. Get egg crate which I find at home depot in the lighting sections, they come in giant sheets and is relatively cheap.
    3)You're gonna have to change the water almost every day. Not good to leave stagnant/contaminated water sitting in there. Frogs usually pee/poo in there.
    4)Do a simple search of typical plants used and make sure they are not toxic to frogs. I personally recommend snake plants and bromeliads. There are tons more you can use so just search around.
    5)Again the video shows how to make a background. I personally don't like the kitty clay method and usually only use great stuff. You don't need the pond and stone stuff you can get the normal yellow gap/crack filler great stuff and that's what I use.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the community!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome Manchas
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Manchas

Quote Originally Posted by Kreamcheese View Post
    1)Merge an aquarium or convert an aquarium? I'm assuming you mean convert and this video is a 4 part video I believe and it shows the basic process for doing so (Even though the video is for dart frogs).
    Hi Manchas again, first off thanks for the advice!
    But.. when i said 'merge' the two I did not mean to convert the aquarium in to a vertical tank i meant to put one on top of the other...
    also I had forgotten to add that I ment to put a water feature in hopefuly including a pond and water fall, again advice is welcomed
    Finally if i did have a false bottom and water feature what kind of cleaning would i be looking at?
    Thanks for the help!

Kreamcheese

Don't really know if that's possible unless you actually take one of the tanks apart and then silicone it how you want it. Don't recommend doing this though. What size are the tanks? Just get something like a 29 gal and then convert it to a tall.
    I have a waterfall in mine but I don't even run it. Only thing it does it add a bit of humidity and the rest is just for looks. Pump issues are usually a problem and depending how you set up your false bottom it can be hard to do pump maintenance.
    Regardless if you wanted a waterfall you would still need to have something that the frog can soak in, so the pond would be good. And I clean my tank about once a week, taking all the plants, water bowl, vines out and then rinsing them all with treated water. Make sure you use treated water as tap water is bad for them. Also only use distilled/reverse osmosis water for misting. Let me know if there is anything else you need and I will try to help.

Manchas

ok so heres an idea...
    and i saw it some where but i cant remember right now, any way how a a screen box (having a perimeter about the size of the rim of the ten gallon aquarium and tall enough so it can have a door that opens down for ease of access) then sized to have a my tall tank (also 10 gallons i think) upside down so the screen top can be removed thus connecting the 2 tanks also giving more room for the frog. The reason i would like to merrge my two tanks is because im hopeing it will be cheaper than buying a new tank because i already have them and it might also look cool... I'm a noob with big ideas
    also what is and how excatly does a 'sump' work? does it help with filtering the water? and would it be best just to stay away from water features in general and stick with a water bowl?
    thanks for all the help and sorry about any typos im typing with a pear in my hand... not my greatest idea...

Manchas

Here is some pics of manchas and his current home
    Name:  Iphone uplodes 300.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  99.2 KBName:  Iphone uplodes 295.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  55.9 KBName:  Iphone uplodes 302.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  77.2 KB

BG

Welcome to the forum. Great choice in picking a frog. I love my wtf . They love to hang out and i have a croaker.he croaks when the tv is on. Manchas could use a branch or vine to hang out on.

Kreamcheese

Nice looking frog! Honestly I have no idea about merging two different tank because I've never tried but if you can make it work then go for it and save the money instead of buying a new tank. And a sump? Not exactly sure what you mean. I just have a water bowl and an automatic mister that goes three times a day. I do think you should have a false bottom regardless of having a water feature or not because it will keep the substrate from getting saturated and nasty.

Manchas

ok so i may try the screen box idea and so you plant your plants in the substrate or do you have them in pots? if they are in the substrate do i still need to take every thing apart and clean it once a week?
    also here is a link to info on a 'sump' you have to scroll down a bit
    http://ww.amphibiancare.com/frogs/ar...waterfall.html

Kreamcheese

Quote Originally Posted by Manchas View Post
    ok so i may try the screen box idea and so you plant your plants in the substrate or do you have them in pots? if they are in the substrate do i still need to take every thing apart and clean it once a week?
    also here is a link to info on a 'sump' you have to scroll down a bit
    http://ww.amphibiancare.com/frogs/ar...waterfall.html
    Link didn't work. I plant my bottom plants into the substrate. But I built in pots into my background of great stuff like the video link i posted. So the plants in the background are in pots and the bottom plants are just in the substrate. And I clean mine once a week mainly because my frogs poop a ton...

Manchas

ok try copy and pasting this:
    Amphibian Care >> Waterfalls and Drip Walls in the Terrarium
    so just to get this straight you pull out your plants and wipe them down? Today im going to be heading in to the pet store possibly and im going to see what i can find in terms of live plants, any recomemdations?
    in that video you posted what do you think about the half cat litter and half foam back ground? do you think thats a good idea or just stick with one or the other?

Kreamcheese

ok try copy and pasting this:
    Amphibian Care >> Waterfalls and Drip Walls in the Terrarium
    so just to get this straight you pull out your plants and wipe them down? Today im going to be heading in to the pet store possibly and im going to see what i can find in terms of live plants, any recomemdations?
    in that video you posted what do you think about the half cat litter and half foam back ground? do you think thats a good idea or just stick with one or the other?
    I take my plants out, rinse them with treated water and put them back. So basically my setup is the first pic. Has the false bottom and the pump under that. No sump. I think the sump Idea would be good but it looks like a lot of work. And the only plants I can think of off the top of my head are bromeliads and snake plants. Both are good. I personally dislike the clay background, tried it and ended up taking it all off. I only use the great stuff method and I like it.

Manchas

hi so i got some egg crate today as well as a pothos plant (which currently is in a mason jar as a pot) and that is sitting pretty in my terrerium, right where the little hole thing (the hole thing if you couldent tell was a soup can, pathetic? yes...) was in the pic i posted, and before i put it in i cleaned it with treated water
    i dont know what else to ask right now, um any ideas on how to setup a water feature in say a 10 gallon normal aquarrium that has a false bottom?also what would i use as a bottom substrate for a pond of a water feature? And if i did have a sump do you think i would have to do water changes every week or just every two weeks or maybe even partial changes?

Manchas

also right now my tank is hovering at around 69-70 degrees and i cant seem to make it warmer i am using a under tank heater so anything on that is welcomed

Kreamcheese

hi so i got some egg crate today as well as a pothos plant (which currently is in a mason jar as a pot) and that is sitting pretty in my terrerium, right where the little hole thing (the hole thing if you couldent tell was a soup can, pathetic? yes...) was in the pic i posted, and before i put it in i cleaned it with treated water
    i dont know what else to ask right now, um any ideas on how to setup a water feature in say a 10 gallon normal aquarrium that has a false bottom?also what would i use as a bottom substrate for a pond of a water feature? And if i did have a sump do you think i would have to do water changes every week or just every two weeks or maybe even partial changes?
    Hey sorry been busy with work/school.

10 gallon water feature would be pretty pointless as it would take up a lot of space in an already small tank. But for substrate I just use coco fiber which sits on top of the mesh. For the sump you would probably only need to do partial changes every week or two.

As for the temp issue: Do you have the heater under the tank or on the side? And my for white lips I have both a heater on the side as well as a 40 watt heat lamp. That keeps my tank just above 80. But White lips do like it slightly warmer than whites.

Manchas

[QUOTE=Kreamcheese;79163]

10 gallon water feature would be pretty pointless as it would take up a lot of space in an already small tank. But for substrate I just use coco fiber which sits on top of the mesh.QUOTE]
    so what i meant for the water feature thing was what would be a good idea for a water feature in a 10 gallon tank not meaning to take up the whole thing..
    and for the substrate i ment at the bottom of a pond like area for the water feature, like sand or gravel?
    and finally i use my heater under my tank instead of the side, if it were on the side i would run the risk of my frog being burned by the hot glass...
    thanks for all your help and also i will try to be clearer next time...

Manchas

this question will sound like an amurature one.. any ways how often should i dust the crikets with calcium? I ask this because i heard from a friend that some veterinarians had cut open pet chomealeons and the animals were crystilized by the calcium....

Thread Information