View Poll Results: Does your frog typically sleep on plants?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 61.54%
  • No

5 38.46%

Thread: Kermit!

Nabced

Default Kermit!

Today when I came home from classes I found Kermit sleeping on the snake plant i recently put into my tank; I thought it was cute so I took a picture to share with all of you!

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  44.9 KBName:  f2.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  60.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Kermit!

Mine sleep on the glass,and wood

Nabced

You have grass in your terranium!?

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Nabced View Post
    Today when I came home from classes I found Kermit sleeping on the snake plant i recently put into my tank; I thought it was cute so I took a picture to share with all of you!

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  44.9 KBName:  f2.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  60.9 KB
    Generally, tree frogs will often only sleep on the glass if there's not enough plants for them to sleep on. Like you can imagine, they don't have any glass walls to sleep on in the wild, they sleep on plants. So if the frogs are sleeping on the glass frequently, it might be a good indicator to add more plants.

Kreamcheese

My male white lip loves sleeping on his snake plant. He's still small enough to fit, my female on the other hand...totally different story.

meganmcnerney

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Generally, tree frogs will often only sleep on the glass if there's not enough plants for them to sleep on. Like you can imagine, they don't have any glass walls to sleep on in the wild, they sleep on plants. So if the frogs are sleeping on the glass frequently, it might be a good indicator to add more plants.
    what about sleeping on the temp/humidity controls? (or the lip of the terrarium?) I'm assuming that the same would be true for this as well, right? also...is it a good sign that I can only find about 4 out of 6 frogs each day/night when I go looking for them? they are very good hiders and I've only been able to find all 6 of them (they are froglets) 1-2x since they were moved to their home.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by meganmcnerney View Post
    what about sleeping on the temp/humidity controls? (or the lip of the terrarium?) I'm assuming that the same would be true for this as well, right? also...is it a good sign that I can only find about 4 out of 6 frogs each day/night when I go looking for them? they are very good hiders and I've only been able to find all 6 of them (they are froglets) 1-2x since they were moved to their home.
    I would say it's pretty much the same, yes.
    And yes, they are good hiders when sleeping and I would not worry about it. I can't find both my adults every day either when they're sleeping.

Cute pics!

Mine are generally on plants, though my Hyla cinerea spreads his sleeping time pretty evenly between the glass (always under plant cover), buried in plant foliage, or out in the open on a branch or ledge.

One of my Grays loves his snake plant as well, but it's a Sansevieria cylindrica- the kind that's round and too thin for his fat self and I always get a chuckle out of how he wraps his toes around it (pictured below).

Also below are two wild Grays that have the option of several thousand plants to choose from (greenhouses and many nearby gardens and trees) and have decided to go with the very non-camouflaged and uncomfortable looking rim of a blue water barrel or a contortion act on a wide open door frame (<-for a while I was convinced door frames were their natural habitat). I've also found many who opt for wide open glass or just bare walls even with this bounty of plants available. I've found a Rana clamitans that likes to sleep in a pokey looking evergreen tree (it's not a tree frog).

So don't read too much into it if your frog likes to sleep in what appears to be a stupid looking location. Just be sure to provide plenty of options for them to choose from- under cover, in the open, close and far from your lights, high and low in your tank, etc. and keep it's preferences in mind the next time you upgrade or remodel.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nabced

Those are some awsome pics I've been making it a habit to get new plants whenever possible especially at this time of year the ones at walmart are on sale! I really wanna get vines but I haven't the slightest clue on how I would make them stand by themselves any advice? For a while there my frog LOVED sleeping on glass behind the hanging leaves I have while the other slept in the leaves lol. The last pic makes your frog look like a contortionist lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nabced View Post
    I really wanna get vines but I haven't the slightest clue on how I would make them stand by themselves any advice?
    The standard Pothos can be planted up high and allowed to trail downwards. Or it can be planted on the bottom of your tank and will climb up on it's own, even up glass. I find the leaves get much bigger when allowed to climb instead of hang.

The vine kinds of philodendrons can be used as trailers or will also climb straight up glass. But the usual walmart ones (here anyway- you may have more selection) usually have smaller leaves than a pothos.

Various ivys are often available at walmart and can grow up or down, or be trained to do just about anything. These usually have pretty small leaves though (still good for cover).

Nabced

I will try those aswell I was referring to like rope vines vines I've been seeing on the Internet tho lol

Hah! There are fake brown vines that are pretty commonly available at pet stores. They are fairly stiff and will hold their shape but are flexible enough that they can be bent into shape and stuck in your viv however you like:

http://exo-terra.com/en/products/jungle_vines.php

A
    re these the ones you mean?

Nabced

Yeah that's them do you use any and I didn't see any in petco was thinking about ordering but it costs almost more to ship lol

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I've used both Exo-terra's and Zoomed's, and I personally preferr Zoomeds. They're just better looking, if you ask me. They come in 2 thickness' and they have the standard 2 meter-version and a 20-meter bundle.

http://www.t-rexproducts.com/products/forest-landscape-series/bio-vine-thick/

http://www.t-rexproducts.com/products/forest-landscape-series/bio-vine/

I
    f you want to know what they look like when in a terrarium, here's some pictures of my own:

Thread Information