Thread: Scaphiopus couchii

Nationality
    [Netherlands]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Scaphiopus couchii

Are there more members who keep S. couchii? I'm keeping them for more than a year now. Last winter they've spent underground. They emerged this spring and ate a lot. I constructed a "rainroom" to get them to breed. Allas it didn't work, probably because I had 3 females at that time. I recently got myself a new young specimen after a long search. Hopefully it's a male and we will hear is call next year or the year after. Are there members who succesfully bred them and can give me advice?
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Scaphiopus couchii

I've never bred them but I've spent a lot of time chasing spadefoots in the American Southwest. You really need to cycle them well for breeding success. That means a pretty cold winter, periods of moderate humidity and distinctly dry periods, and near the hottest part of the year they need a very heavy rain (like you wouldn't believe), and high humidity together with warmth to trigger breeding.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

I've kept them cold and dry last winter. When it got hotter I made the tank more moist. I prepared a rainchamber and when a storm came I put them in it hoping I could trick them into amplexus. I didn't hear any calls though and they were all about the same size. I'm affraid they were all females. With my new youngster I hope to have a male. I'm going to try the same thing next year. I'm also trying to get more animals.

Isn't there anyone who has bred them?
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Not many people keep them because they are a rare find (they only come out in tropical storms) and they have a (deserved) reputation as being poor pets.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

I know. Most of the time they're burrowed in the soil. Only in spring and summer do they appear.... at night. It's pretty amazing to watch them eat though and I find them really beautifull. Look at these foxy ladies!

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Last autumn there was a fellow keeper who didn't want his animals anymore so we bought them from him. We fed them well and they stayed in the newt and salamander room this winter, where they experienced temperatures of 10C. This week we put all of them in a tank with a terrestrial area and a aquatic area. It's standing outside and rain can fall into the pool area. It's pretty hot right now and we've had some rain. After they spent a couple of hours in the tank I could here the males call (what a sound!). This is what the tank looks like:

Yesterday we witnessed the following:

It's no guarantee, but it's a better sighn that I've seen so far!

Kristen

Goodluck! I hope your efforts are successful

Tropicok

Nice to see an article on spadefoots. I acquired a rescue spadefoot after a youngster captured one and then couldn't get it to eat. He took it to the local reptile store and the owner called me. I think it's a Plains spadefoot and I've never had a problem getting it to eat. Darling little critter. I do have to get it a bigger tank.
    Alice

100+ Post Member lindsayshocking's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    West Sacramento, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I have four Couch's (1 male, 3 females). I've never been able to get them to breed. The only spadefoots I've had that seem to even be remotely interested in breeding in captivity are my New Mexico Spadefoots. My male always knows when it's summer time and he comes out and serenades me all night. My female never lays eggs, though. They just end up having "fun".

The main problem I think you will find trying to breed them is that they need to follow their natural cues. Since spadefoots spend 10+ months in aestivation, I'm assuming you would need to get them to stay in their burrows for that length of time where they wouldn't eat and basically be in a cocoon. I'm not certain how you would artificially create that in captivity. My main worry would be that they wouldn't get enough water in their burrows and they'd dry out. I've had spadefoots for years, and they never go into aestivation. It might be because they have a steady supply of water and food.

I'd do a little research on how to force them into aestivation. That might be a good place to start.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Alllas. I had no luck. Better luck next time.

HelloTeigan

I have 4 Spadefoot toadlets. I love them and love taking care of them! My boyfriend rescued them while he was working ( Pool Man, Swimming Pool maintenance,repairs etc). They had to be freshly metamorphed into froglets, they were smaller than a penny! Anyway I knew NOTHING about them when I first aquired them, This was the beg. of September 2012. Anyway If anyone would be so kind to share any knowledge on these lil guys, please do. Thank you.

HelloTeigan

911 help I think one of my spadefoots is ill Lunchbox, my biggest spadefoot he's housed alone btw, but for the last like week has been spazin out ,coming up everyday I even had to put him in solitary confinement in a small container to avoid him hurting himself. He's barely eaten and right now he is defiantly diff color. Something is wrong and I am freaking out sad and just want to fix Lunchbox. And really hope my other toads don't catch it. Please help.maybe fungal infection? Or idk. Help please

Thread Information