Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a bad idea to pick and handle your Pacman?

Ebenezer Frothingham

Default Is it a bad idea to pick and handle your Pacman?

Amphibians are not cuddly pets like cats or dogs- Mine has an absolute aversion to being touched, as I assume my frog is terrified he/she will be eaten.
    I've been watching some Pacman frog videos made by frog owners on Yotube where owners pick up and handle their pacmans. Is that a good or bad idea?

I suppose i just want my frog to be desesitized to me- right now i think he sees me as some giant creature that might eat him. I have never picked up my Pacman with my bare hands- Should I keep it that way, or is minimum handling okay? I'd like him to trust me enough to accept food from tongs..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: Is it a bad idea to pick and handle your Pacman?

The frog will eventually get used to being handled, when I first got my toad, it would pee when it was picked up, which indacted it was scared, but around a week later, it stopped, now 3 months later, it hasn't peeded since then.

I pick my toad up and set it down to feed it, then once it has been fed, I pick it back up, and put it back in it's tank. I'm sure it's used to the routine by now, it also helps if you feed your frog at the same time every day, I feed my toad at lunch every day, and it will stay burried under it's moss until around 11:45, then it comes up.

Sublime

Yeah my frog hates being picked up, he's got a little more used to the routine though. I pick him up out of his water bowl to change it, or pick him up to set him inside a feeding bin. As they get used to a more routine handling, he should start to understand and calm down a little bit. You can pick up your pacman with your bare hands, just not too much handling or it will get stressed. The only time I handle my frog as was mentioned above, other than that I just watch him for enjoyment. I have to cup my pixie with the top of my hand so he doesn't jump out, when I'm about to set him in his tank I open up my hand and he stays on it so hopefully he gets more used to me. I'm sure yours will settle in.

Sublime

By the way a lot of frog owners are not very smart to put it nicely on youtube, you'll see them sometimes poking their pacmans to make them get mad or feed them on ridiculous bedding like rocks, bark, moss. Or you'll see them feeding them mice regularly which is bad for their health.

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    By the way a lot of frog owners are not very smart to put it nicely on youtube, you'll see them sometimes poking their pacmans to make them get mad or feed them on ridiculous bedding like rocks, bark, moss. Or you'll see them feeding them mice regularly which is bad for their health.

Live feedings seem to most common kind of Pacman (and Pixie) frog video on Youtube- It's fairy obvious many pacman owners are feeding their frogs mice that are much too large. I have no problems feeding pacmans mice- thats what they eat (and as an occasional treat) but the videos where they eat mice, where people in the backround can be heard cheering and laughing are just sadistic. I have noticed many videos of pacman frogs show dangerous examples of substrait- often moss, or fishtank gravel- sometimes, no substrait at all, and just a bare tank. Not a good thing for a burrowing frog.
    There are a number of videos of sadistic pacman owners posting videos on Youtube of them poking their frog to get it to bark and hiss. Very uncool- why would someone enjoy tormenting their pet? I feel sorry for those frogs. Do they do the same thing to their dog or cat? I'm reluctant to touch my pacman in any way for fear it wiull stress him out.
    This is an example of a bad pacman owner:

http://youtu.be/_gbFQzsmEZQ

why would someone delibertly stress out their frog this way?
    Plus a potentially lethal substrait. Stones????

Do NOT poke your pacman like this :

http://youtu.be/bC9P1EavtfU

Owners like that really anger me

7. This member thanks Ebenezer Frothingham for this post:

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenezer Frothingham View Post
    Ornate Pacman Frog getting defensive! - YouTube

Agreed. Tormenting their pet frog... for entertainment!? It's terrible how these people treat there frogs!

IvoryReptiles

I agree that tormenting the frogs is in-excusable, but to assume from a video that the substrate in the video is the living conditions for the frog is, well, silly.

We have some videos of our frogs being fed or their reactions to my camera lens cap (the frog was trying to eat it), but the video is taken with the frog in it's feeding bin, not it's normal enclosure. I have video of our breeders in the rain chamber. And yes, we have video of some of our frogs eating mice or pinkies......as a treat once every 2 months. Mammalian proteins are difficult (NOT impossible) for them to digest. Poultry is easier on them, mealworms are not.....the exoskeletons are not digestible and can cause blockages if fed too often and in mass quantities. They love earthworms, crickets are okay. The tadpoles devour bloodworms and even carnivorous fish foods. But they would rather have other tadpoles......we get plenty of Gulf Coast Toads spawning in our ponds and will collect them & offer them when available. Variety is the key to healthy diets for these guys.

Sorry, went way off subject there! We handle ours when we are cleaning & when we feed them. In time they become more accustomed to it, but they are not huggy & kissy frogs....LOL
    When I want to handle a frog, I will take my Dumpy frogs out and let them crawl on me or sit with me while I cruise the internet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It is ok to handle your Pacman in moderation. As everyone has mentioned they can become stressed easily. When you do handle your Pac make sure to wash your hands thoroughly to remove the oils from your hands which can harm them. Use a mild cleanser nothing that will leave heavy scents or residues. The more you handle them the more they get used to you but it must be done so over time. Also if they feel threatened they may bite which can be quite painful if its an adult Pacman. Don't let that discourage you too much. Your frog probably won't bite you. Be very careful not to drop your frog either. They can be injured or killed easily. Make them feel secure by cuppkng your hands around the frog be ferm so it doesn't jump out but gentle at the same time so you don't squeeze the frog. It takes time but your frog will eventually get used to you.

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    I agree that tormenting the frogs is in-excusable, but to assume from a video that the substrate in the video is the living conditions for the frog is, well, silly.

We have some videos of our frogs being fed or their reactions to my camera lens cap (the frog was trying to eat it), but the video is taken with the frog in it's feeding bin, not it's normal enclosure. I have video of our breeders in the rain chamber. And yes, we have video of some of our frogs eating mice or pinkies......as a treat once every 2 months. Mammalian proteins are difficult (NOT impossible) for them to digest. Poultry is easier on them, mealworms are not.....the exoskeletons are not digestible and can cause blockages if fed too often and in mass quantities. They love earthworms, crickets are okay. The tadpoles devour bloodworms and even carnivorous fish foods. But they would rather have other tadpoles......we get plenty of Gulf Coast Toads spawning in our ponds and will collect them & offer them when available. Variety is the key to healthy diets for these guys.

Sorry, went way off subject there! We handle ours when we are cleaning & when we feed them. In time they become more accustomed to it, but they are not huggy & kissy frogs....LOL
    When I want to handle a frog, I will take my Dumpy frogs out and let them crawl on me or sit with me while I cruise the internet.
    Yeah I understand what you're talking about, but I've seen pacman owners housing their frogs in a permanent tank with incorrect substrate...not a feeding bin. Even the feeding bins they have them in sometimes is what we are talking about, they place gravel and water in it or small rocks and feed them in it. That's a disaster waiting to happen... The dumpy whites tree frogs are an exception, they can be held for awhile. They are awesome frogs as well.

Ebenezer Frothingham

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    It is ok to handle your Pacman in moderation. As everyone has mentioned they can become stressed easily. When you do handle your Pac make sure to wash your hands thoroughly to remove the oils from your hands which can harm them. Use a mild cleanser nothing that will leave heavy scents or residues. The more you handle them the more they get used to you but it must be done so over time. Also if they feel threatened they may bite which can be quite painful if its an adult Pacman. Don't let that discourage you too much. Your frog probably won't bite you. Be very careful not to drop your frog either. They can be injured or killed easily. Make them feel secure by cuppkng your hands around the frog be ferm so it doesn't jump out but gentle at the same time so you don't squeeze the frog. It takes time but your frog will eventually get used to you.
    Great points, i'll try that. I'll try and avoid getting bitten-Ill pick him/her up from behind, although i have a feeling the frog with the most powerful bite are pixie frogs

I can't imagine pacmans are fast at hopping away...

Nationality
    [United States]

Great points, i'll try that. I'll try and avoid getting bitten-Ill pick him/her up from behind, although i have a feeling the frog with the most powerful bite are pixie frogs

I can't imagine pacmans are fast at hopping away...
    You'd be surprised just how far one of those tubby Pacs can jump. My chubby boy Grif can jump 5 times his body length if he wants to. I've seen him do it. And the babies are pretty spry. My little baby Green C. cranwelli is fast and can jump about 5 times its body length as well. They do actually have pretty strong rear legs. They just conserve their energy.

BG

If you think that's sadistic, then you should see how they treat there natural resourses in south america. I saw a video on you tube people stuffing cigarettes in the pacmans mouth. After they had their laugh, they took a bat and used the frog as a baseball, nough said.
    Live feedings seem to most common kind of Pacman (and Pixie) frog video on Youtube- It's fairy obvious many pacman owners are feeding their frogs mice that are much too large. I have no problems feeding pacmans mice- thats what they eat (and as an occasional treat) but the videos where they eat mice, where people in the backround can be heard cheering and laughing are just sadistic. I have noticed many videos of pacman frogs show dangerous examples of substrait- often moss, or fishtank gravel- sometimes, no substrait at all, and just a bare tank. Not a good thing for a burrowing frog.
    There are a number of videos of sadistic pacman owners posting videos on Youtube of them poking their frog to get it to bark and hiss. Very uncool- why would someone enjoy tormenting their pet? I feel sorry for those frogs. Do they do the same thing to their dog or cat? I'm reluctant to touch my pacman in any way for fear it wiull stress him out.
    This is an example of a bad pacman owner:

ONE PISSED OFF PACMAN!!!! - YouTube

why would someone delibertly stress out their frog this way?
    Plus a potentially lethal substrait. Stones????

Do NOT poke your pacman like this :

Ornate Pacman Frog getting defensive! - YouTube

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    If you think that's sadistic, then you should see how they treat there natural resourses in south america. I saw a video on you tube people stuffing cigarettes in the pacmans mouth. After they had their laugh, they took a bat and used the frog as a baseball, nough said.
    Alright now that makes me mad. If I saw one of them do that I would have to say id take the bat from them and hit them with it. Stuff like that just blows my mind. It just makes no sence to me why someone would do that.

Ebenezer Frothingham

Sounds like serial killers in the making. They start off by torturing small animals to death

BG

Exactly. These are your future serial killers and what ever has to do with evil. That was an ornate by the way. I don't know what country that was but yea that what happened
    Sounds like serial killers in the making. They start off by torturing small animals to death

Nationality
    [United States]

Exactly. These are your future serial killers and what ever has to do with evil. That was an ornate by the way. I don't know what country that was but yea that what happened
    some people have no heart.

Sprout

My Ornate used to freak out when I'd pick him up to feed / clean out his tank and urinate everywhere. Sadly a while ago he got an impaction, so I'd be handling him more to give medicine and warm soaks. Since then he's been pretty calm when I've handed him, think he trusts me now but it took a while. Good luck with your frog

bshmerlie

Frogs , for the most part, don't like to be held.

Frogs that are desensitized to handling= Stockholm syndrome

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Frogs , for the most part, don't like to be held.

Frogs that are desensitized to handling= Stockholm syndrome
    That is a very valid statement considering they are supposed to be wild and technically a captive even if born in captivity.

BG

They freak out cause they think they're going to get eaten. They are out of place being up high from the ground. They love that dirt,like fish love water. Did you ever see a wtf burry him self in dirt. I never did. So right there ,like everyone said,nonononono and no handleing to much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information