Thread: New Member with a Sick Frog.

StevieLouie921

Unhappy New Member with a Sick Frog.

Hello.

I have had my fire belly toad for going on 2yrs now. His name is Stevie-Louie (the kids couldn't choose between the names so we use both)
    I have had little to no trouble with him in all this time until last night. We moved 2 weeks ago and because the house was chaotic Stevie was placed in my nephews room until I could get my room set up and a place for him. Last night I went to check and feed him and found him covered in what looked to be mold and very bloated. I immediately took him and his terrarium out for a cleaning. Not only was he off color and bloated but for the first time in 2yrs he didn't protest to being lifted out of his house and put in his holding tank. I cleaned everything in scolding hot water taking careful care to remove any ickyness off of everything. I normally clean his tank every other week but change his water weekly.

After his tank was cleaned and cooled off I put him away and moved him to my bedroom for close watching. He hadn't eaten his worm from two night ago (he is fed ever other day) and when I dangled a fresh worm for him last night he showed no interest in it at all.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me or idea of what could be going on. Stevie is my first frog, he was a gift from a friend and I do enjoy having him. So even though I have had him 2yrs and done a lot of research I can't seem to find anything on illnesses and I am very concerned.

I have done a search for vest in my area that see frogs and the closes it 2hrs away.

Thank you for you time.
    Here is a photo of Stevie-Louie, I took it this morning with my phone. You can see the slimy film coming of his legs and he is very dark and off color, he is normally a very vibrate bright green.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: New Member with a Sick Frog.

Maybe he's just shedding his skin. They do change colors based on stress. Maybe the move just scared him.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Since you said he had what appeared to be "mold" all over him, I would be scared that it would be some kind of fungal infection. Has any of this stuff showed up on him again after you cleaned him off?

StevieLouie921

Since I rinsed him off the 'mold' like stuff has not come back but his color darked a great deal. I do not have a before photo of him though. He was a very bright green. He does look less bloated then last night.

How often do they shed their skin? I have never seen him this dark before or bloated. I am hoping it is just stress from the move and the lack of air flow that was in my nephews room. (it was getting very stuffy in there when I pulled Stevie out) My room is very airy and while warm I have to keep it clean and dust free do to my asthma.

Thank you for you ideas. I greatly appreciate any help I can get on this subject.

Jace

Well, honestly, from your photo, your toad looks fine to me. The slime on him looks like shedding. Again, in the photo, he looks plump but no different than my toads. Unless he was even more bloated before the picture was taken...and these toads do go lighter and darker depending on temperatures and stress. If it was colder than normal, and with the move, he was darker because of it and should lighten up once he has his normal conditions back. Is he eating? Moving? Get his temperature up, a quiet place to destress and try feeding him then. Keep me posted and I will try and help.

StevieLouie921

thank you Jo-Anna

He wasn't as bloated this morning as he was last night but he seems to have bloated up again tonight. He didn't touch his worm and I just fished it out as it had drowned. He hasn't eaten since Friday when I fed him last and he didn't eat both worms only one. Normally when I fed him every other day I give him two and they are gone before I blink. Tomorrow I am going to pick up some crickets for him since they are his favorite in hopes he'll eat.

In the 2yrs I have had him he never looked his bloated. He gets feed well but as always been a slimmer boy.

I thank you all again for your help and advice.

Jace

Definitely get some crickets-he might need something that is more active to stimulate him. What is his temperature like? Is he now in a quieter room? How is his colouring? Sorry for all the questions, but the more info I get, the better I might be able to help you! Let me know how he reacts to the crickets.

StevieLouie921

He is in a much quieter and better circulated room. He is almost black in color which worries me, yet he is not as bloated today as last night. I will be picking up crickets later today once I have my truck back. He seemed interested a little in his worm this morning, stalked it a little but when I came back in from feeding the horses the worm was drowned in his pool.

Thank you again

ETA- I put in a call to my vet to ask if they saw toads and they do not but said there was a vet about 45mins from me that does. So I may end up bringing him in once I have my truck.

Firebelly love

Best of luck with your little toadie!

Thread Information