Thread: New with rescued frogs

sharon

Question New with rescued frogs

Hello everyone :-) we could really use some help and guidance. This past Tuesday night, late, we received 3 rescued White's Tree frogs (at least I think that's what they are), there were supposed to be four but when the rescuers arrived here there were only 3. Their tank is about 15 gal and tall. 24"x12.5"x16.5" There seems to be a bog in the bottom...3" deep and black, looks like it might be sphagnum moss, there are some climbing vines and a tree as well as a plastic vine with leaves. The glass is really smeared and dirty. Our plan is to put the frogs in a temporary tank while we thoroughly clean theirs... then put down an unused repti carpet that hasn't been used for the snake in years and replace the tree and vines.

Any suggestions and guidance will be greatly appreciated... we have never had frogs before, but we do have a gray-banded kingsnake that we also rescued 9 years ago and an assortment of mice for the snake.

Thank you.

~sharon

Jace

Default Re: New with rescued frogs

Welcome Sharon-it sounds like you have quite the task ahead of you. I am one of the few, it seems, that does not own any White's Tree Frog, but there are lots of others on the Forum that will be able to help you with care. I'm sure a picture or two of the frogs would be helpful just to make absolutely sure you do have White's. First order of business regardless, would be to clean and sanitize that tank. It sounds like you are on the right track for replacing trees and vines. Better to start fresh and clean. I'm not sure if you have a vet nearby that will be able to check your frogs, but if they were in dirty conditions, it might be a good idea to have them assessed and treated in case of any infections or parasites. Others on the Forum know much more about specialized care and feeding on White's and I know they will be more than happy to share their knowledge with you. I really hope your new frogs are okay. Best of luck.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Cage definitely seems small. I would also clean the repti carpet.
    It is great that you decided to rescue instead of purchase.

sharon

I added some pics to my album... are they Whites? if I figure out how to put them here I will.

I hope the task is not too big and my husband is not thrilled but our 16yo son is hopefully all will work out as it should when we understand the proper care, feeding and habitats better.

~sharon

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Yes they are White's Tree Frogs.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

sharon

Thank you, John do they look reasonably healthy?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

They look alright to me. They need a larger terrarium though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Search Craig's List for free tanks first. John how would you go about cleaning off everything?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Elbow grease and a damp cloth (paper towel/kitchen roll would probably be better). For stubborn "encrusted" things I would use a little vinegar when rubbing, just make sure to rinse everything well with water afterwards.

Kurt

I would just clean everything with a bleach and water solution, then thoroughly rinse it before rinsing it. Also always make sure the frogs have access to water at all times.

The tank is definitely too small. Do you have another tank you could use?

Also, what are you going to feed them? (They might have eaten the 4th frog if it was too small and they were very hungry.)

Nationality
    [United States]

Oo how are they size wise?

sharon

I posted a couple more pics with the frogs in a hand for size. The are about a little over 2 in long and 1.5 in wide ... sort of the size of a large egg. I don't have info on their ages but ther person who brought them here called and said they were mistaken... there was only 3 frogs to begin with, that makes me feel better

Re: the tank, after doing some math conversions their tank is 20 gal. Is that still too small? They do not seem stressed or unhappy... they do not try to escape. Besides the boggy bottom there are 2 corner dishes for water and they seem to like to sit in them from time to time, otherwise they are among the vines and tank accessories just sitting.

Thanks for the cleaning tips... I had been planning on the bleach water and thorough rinsing approach... hadn't thought of vinegar. Diluted bleach is okay as long as it is completely rinsed away, yes??

Is there a recommended feeding schedule? I saw that some of you were talking about every couple days, or once a week, or... etc With 3 of them, what type of schedule would work best?

Like I said, we volunteered and have no experience with amphibians, but we are willing to learn

Thanks to all for your ideas and tips

~sharon

Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    I posted a couple more pics with the frogs in a hand for size. The are about a little over 2 in long and 1.5 in wide ... sort of the size of a large egg. I don't have info on their ages but ther person who brought them here called and said they were mistaken... there was only 3 frogs to begin with, that makes me feel better

Re: the tank, after doing some math conversions their tank is 20 gal. Is that still too small? They do not seem stressed or unhappy... they do not try to escape. Besides the boggy bottom there are 2 corner dishes for water and they seem to like to sit in them from time to time, otherwise they are among the vines and tank accessories just sitting.

Thanks for the cleaning tips... I had been planning on the bleach water and thorough rinsing approach... hadn't thought of vinegar. Diluted bleach is okay as long as it is completely rinsed away, yes??

Is there a recommended feeding schedule? I saw that some of you were talking about every couple days, or once a week, or... etc With 3 of them, what type of schedule would work best?

Like I said, we volunteered and have no experience with amphibians, but we are willing to learn

Thanks to all for your ideas and tips

~sharon
    Hm... 20 gallon is good for 2 but I'm told with 3 you should have a 25 gallon or above. (Maybe it'll be okay if you clean it frequently? *is new at this too*)

Kurt

That is correct. Just to be on the safe side, you can rinse it down with water that has aquarium dechlorinator in it.

There is no set feeding schedule law carved in stone. I feed once a week with adult White's. Small frogs/froglets much more frequently.

Thread Information