Thread: Electric Bill outta control???? HELP with heat!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cowbully

Default Electric Bill outta control???? HELP with heat!

Ok i just got the electric bill and its not twice the usual amount... So now we are looking into heat mats... we have 4 active tanks. all different sizes for 6 frogs and lizards.. Now my question is do they keep tanks warm enough efficiently????

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Electric Bill outta control???? HELP with heat!

They will create a warm area close to where the pad is placed. Usually place on the side of a tank will allow a place where the frog can go to warm up and then the opposite side of the tank will be slightly cooler.

I don't use them on my tanks since my room averages 73 and higher so my lighting in the day brings the temps up to 79 to 81 on average.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

BG

My problem is not the temps its the lights. My frogs are happy, they don't need anything. The temp in the room is 77-79, the humidity is 65%. Its my turtles, and timor monitor,and fish tanks, This month its 273 bucks .

Leefrogs

well each light, heater, will show it's watts. If it's a 25w bulb it takes 25 w an hour. There are 1000 watts in a Kw, and kw ratings are on your bill,

On my bill 505 kw used is bout 100 bucks. And I have 5 heat pads and 12 tanks.

5. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

Grrrit

i would contact Ron at alphaprobreeders . com. Another guy and myself converted all of our tank lighting (for frogs) to the solarmax H.E. lights made by deep blue. they are reef lights but they come with 10K 13w T5 bulbs for a 48" fixture. plants do amazing and they still show off all the great colors. and i believe a 48" light is around $50.00. cut my bill down quite a bit.
    as far as turtles and lizards, they would still need their species specific lights but this may be doable for uvb for the turtles although they would still need uva baskinglights.

cowbully

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    i would contact Ron at alphaprobreeders . com. Another guy and myself converted all of our tank lighting (for frogs) to the solarmax H.E. lights made by deep blue..
    thank you.. I think this is my next step.. thank you for the advice. especially now i know they come in 48" they will work great for my new white lipped viv

mdtalley22

Are you sure that it is your tanks that are doing it? Because I have a frog tank (lights and mister) a bearded dragon (uv and basking lights) and a freshwater fishtank (filter and lights and air pump and heater)...and my bill is only like 50 bucks per month...

SkeletalFrog

I'm with Mike - I've got about 400+ watts running at any given time for my herps (lights, heat, UVB, filters, etc.), plus an electronics-heavy household (computers, wifi, TV, Wii, etc.) and mine never goes much above $100/month, even in the summer with the AC window units on.

I'd look to your home lighting and heating/AC as the culprit - 5 rooms with 2 60W bulbs per room is 600W. Especially check that your AC is working well - I've had my bills skyrocket when the AC in and prior apartment was failing and therefore working much harder to achieve the same cooling.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I also have 8 cages with u t h on each.light hoods and basking and night bulbs. my bill is nothing like that or i d hear about it from my husband. I also have crix tubs with uth in the basement and a hermit crab set up

Thread Information