Thread: New Pacman Setup What ya think?

SiNi5T3R

Default New Pacman Setup What ya think?

Using Eco Earth as substrate, have some plants and a log hide. Ten Gal tank with a home made lid made out of plastic rap to keep in the humidity and have some small holes poped in the plastic rap. so far so good. he seems to like it.

what ya think?

Name:  111.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  66.9 KBName:  112.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  41.7 KBName:  113.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  69.7 KBName:  114.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  45.7 KBName:  115.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  42.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sublime

Default Re: New Pacman Setup What ya think?

Everything seems nice, but I'll tell you something about the plastic wrap (saran wrap). The heating your using above the saran wrap at a given temperature the plastic wrap can emit harmful toxins into the air harming your frog. I'm not entirely sure how hot the plastic wrap has to get before that happens, but I would advise you to get some form of a aluminum mesh, glass, or plexiglass lid. Also get him a small water dish.

BG

Anything is better than plastic rap. Try to find something around the house for now. Yup remove it as soon as possible.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    Everything seems nice, but I'll tell you something about the plastic wrap (saran wrap). The heating your using above the saran wrap at a given temperature the plastic wrap can emit harmful toxins into the air harming your frog. I'm not entirely sure how hot the plastic wrap has to get before that happens, but I would advise you to get some form of a aluminum mesh, glass, or plexiglass lid. Also get him a small water dish.
    Doesn't that also mean that the people who use plastic totes also put their frogs at risk since its plastic and could also emit toxic fumes?

BG

I hope not. Plastic rap has a smell to it . If you get new shower curtains , theres a strong smell. Thats the chemicals released in the air.

Sublime

The plastic totes you're referring to are commonly made from polypropylene plastic, this is a food safe material. No BPA's (bisphenol A), PVC (polyvinyl chloride), latex, teflon. Plastic wrap (Saran wrap) film is based from PVC (polyvinyl chloride), when heated toxins are produced leading to a hazardous environment for you frog.

Sublime

This goes for the brands Rubbermaid or Sterilite. Other off brands... not sure.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's not good because I use a generic form of plastic wrap to hold heat and humidity in my enclosures. I haven't had any strange odors from it though. Ill have to find a another means of doing so. I didn't start using it until like 3 weeks after Grif became sick so I know it didn't cause his illness. I guess I haven't gotten it hot enough and some of the books on frogs I have say to use it. I haven't noticed any odd behavior. Especially since Grif has recovered.

Sublime

A common alternative to PVC is low density polyethylene (LDPE), it's not as clingy as PVC plastic wrap, but it does not contain toxic additives that PVC contains. Brands like Glad Cling Wrap or Handi-Wrap are LDPE-based. Saran Premium Wrap, a newer version of Saran Wrap, is based on LDPE as well. I would still be very careful about what you do with plastic wrap over an enclosure housing your herp. What I use instead of plastic wrap for holding heat and humidity is a damp face cloth sprayed with de-chlorinated tap water.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    A common alternative to PVC is low density polyethylene (LDPE), it's not as clingy as PVC plastic wrap, but it does not contain toxic additives that PVC contains. Brands like Glad Cling Wrap or Handi-Wrap are LDPE-based. Saran Premium Wrap, a newer version of Saran Wrap, is based on LDPE as well. I would still be very careful about what you do with plastic wrap over an enclosure housing your herp. What I use instead of plastic wrap for holding heat and humidity is a damp face cloth sprayed with de-chlorinated tap water.

So far no issues with the plastic wrap, but I will seek a better safer way to hold in the climate of their enclosures.

Sublime

Ok sounds good, forgot to mention. If you don't want to do a damp towel either, you can also use a piece of plexiglass or just glass to hold it in. Don't know how effective that is, but it doesn't pose any risks at all.

Thread Information