Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agalychnis callidryas

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Agalychnis callidryas

September last year, me and my girlfriend started to create a good terrarium for some Red eyed tree frogs. Many Expos, shows and thousands of hours of search later, we finally got the inhabitants of the tank. On the 11th of September 2011, 24:00, we got them. One male, and one female agalychnis callidryas. A friend of mine went to the largest Expo in Europe, the Expo Hamm in Germany, and that's where he found us a breeding group of two males and one female. Unfortunately, one of the males did not make it, and it really torments my soul...
    The two that survived the journey to their new home seems to be doing fine. As soon as I put them in the enclosure, they began to explore (since the lights were off when they got in, in the middle of the night). When we got up this morning, they were fast asleep on the same pothos leave (the female on top of the leave, the male under it). They stayed there the whole day. About 10 minutes after the lights went off in the evening, they started to explore their new home once again, climbing on every leave and exploring every inch. Right now, I actually here them call, these two distinct different sounds. It thrills both mine and Marléne's heart to know that our beautiful tree nymphs are finally here

We only have two pictures, since we do not want to disturb them when they're settling in. In about 30-45 days, there will be more pictures of them. I do believe that both pictures are of the male, but it's hard to tell.

If you want to see the enclosure, check out my album!

If you want to know more about our journey, check out these two blog posts. I will write a third (and last) part on how we finally got them, but that will not happen tonight. Perhaps tomorrow or the day after that.

http://www.frogforum.net/blogs/viper...es-part-1.html

http://www.frogforum.net/blogs/viper...es-part-2.html

PS. To backtrack a little bit, one of the males did not make it. I don't want to make this thread about Dexter, the poor fellow how passed away, since this should be a thread of happiness. However, I have some pictures of him, to get some help determined the cause of death. So if anyone have the time, expertise and are willing to help, please PM or leave a visitor message, and I'll give you the pictures. DS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Agalychnis callidryas

I'm so happy to see you have some nice frogs. I heard the European shows blow away the US shows. I know some one thats been to Germany and brought back some frogs back in the days. If you don't mine me asking what did you pay for the trio. Just curious to compare the prices here.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Well, I can't compare to the shows in the US since I've never been to one. However, I can tell you the price! 220 euro for the trio, but my friend managed to bring it down to 215 euro. That's about 300 USD or 2000 SEK for three (well, two...) frogs. I could have paid alot more than that, so I'm very pleased.

bshmerlie

Congrats Martin on the new frogs. Its nice to know that our Frog Forum Chat Coordinator now has actual frogs.

I think 215 Euro is a good price on a breeding group of frogs that have proven so difficult to find over there. You can't really compare prices on frogs from one part of the world to the other. They are so common here and many people are breeding them that is why our prices are lower. But if you look at the trouble people in Europe and Canada are having trying to find them I personally would spend what ever it took to get a quality pair. The thing you need to do is really establish a breeding program and start promoting them in the hobby over there. We get people asking for them all the time. Please work on being THE supplier of Red Eyes over there so I can refer people to you for frogs.

Good luck with them Martin

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

You're words are full of truth Cheri! Like I said, the money was not really an issue, we would have given him any amount of money, as long as we got the frogs. And yes, I give you my word, we are going to breed them. My goal is to establish the red eyes in Sweden, and then expand to the rest of Europe with healthy, captive bred red eyes. They are too a too amazing creature to go unnoticed in Europe.

bshmerlie

Hmmm...How to tell which one is the male and which one is the female? This is the surest way.

Name:  Red Eyes.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  63.5 KB

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

No mistaking the frogs there! The female is quite much larger than the male, but it's hard to know when you only see them one at a time (and when you've only seen them a few times).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Martin!!!! They are beautiful frogs. Look like it was well worth the wait!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Yes Amy, now that we have them, the wait was nothing!
    They were really active this night as well, exploring everything. They should soon go into hiding mode and stay that way until they are feeling secure again. Not many dubias have been eaten, 2 at the most. I will exchange them tonight with fresh ones, since these seems to be a little bit slow now. The female is now fast asleep on the exact same spot at yesterday, but I can't find the male. A good indicator that the terrarium is working as it should
    The male kept calling every now and then throughout the entire night. It makes you sleep very well.

Nationality
    [United States]

They are beautiful. I'm glad they are happy in their new home. Will you post more pictures as the days pass? They are my favorites .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

BG

All the the best with Cheri's idea Martin. I'm with it 100%. Pal we can always use more frogs ,especially retf. Good luck again, I truly mean it.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    They are beautiful. I'm glad they are happy in their new home. Will you post more pictures as the days pass? They are my favorites .
    Thank you! Yes, I will update it with info and/or pictures whenever I can. However, I want to keep the pictures amount very limited when the light's out (i.e. when they're active), so they can settle in. However, I have some sleeping pictures of them (or, just the male in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    All the the best with Cheri's idea Martin. I'm with it 100%. Pal we can always use more frogs ,especially Red-Eyed Leaf Frog. Good luck again, I truly mean it.
    Thank you BG. I will keep tracks of everything when the breeding begins.

Some of the sleeping pictures:

I really like this picture. He seems to "enjoy" the sleeping so incredible much.

If a mod thinks this is better suited as a blog, please let me know and I'll gladly move it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe! So cute. I love how they curl all up like that. So precious .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How fun to hear of red-eyes in the UK! I love these frogs and rescued four of them! A guy did not want his 'frog' anymore that he bought at an expo. To my delight there were 4 red eyed tree frogs in the ten gallon - not 1 for $40! I had to nourish and feed them well. They look beautiful now. It took awhile for the 4 of them to mature so I could house them with my own red-eye. All 5 of these proved to be female. I rescued another frog and he is the male of the group. He tried mating them all, but I read somewhere that they should be at least 2 yrs old. Next year will be awesome!

For a proven pair, that is the way to go! You are fortunate to have found this pair!

Nationality
    [Sweden]

I'm very happy to hear that you finally got your red-eyes! They are such cute little critters.
    You've built them an awesome viv too, looks great!

I wish you good luck with the breeding!

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    If a mod thinks this is better suited as a blog, please let me know and I'll gladly move it.
    No this is the perfect place. Everyone likes to see each others new frogs. Thanks for sharing more pictures. Maybe you can get one tonight when he wakes up...unless you're worried about bothering him.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raya View Post
    I'm very happy to hear that you finally got your red-eyes! They are such cute little critters.
    You've built them an awesome viv too, looks great!

I wish you good luck with the breeding!
    Thank you, my fellow swede, both for the compliments on the frogs, and on the terrarium! I think it turned out great. My girlfriend will take a good picture of the tank tomorrow, and we'll enter it in the Enclosure of the Month again. Don't think we have any chance of winning, but it's fun anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    No this is the perfect place. Everyone likes to see each others new frogs. Thanks for sharing more pictures. Maybe you can get one tonight when he wakes up...unless you're worried about bothering him.
    Ok then, I'll keep the updating here then! I'm not taking any pictures tonight, I do not want to bother them. I'm instead building a camoflauged bunker and training my night-vision. Trying to get a glimpse of some feeding action, in a stress-free way :P

Actually bought some crickets today, just to spice up the menu. So both dubias and crickets tonight. I really want to make sure they're both eating (I know the male is), so I figure the odds are better if there are two kinds of food.
    It took under 20 minutes for them to wake up, after the lights turned off, since the first call came after 20 minutes.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Just a quick little update from last night. They appear to both have been eating, since 10 dubias are gone and found 2 piles of digested food. Never actually got to see anything... Man, gets dark in their tank! Perhaps, someday, they'll teach me the true art of night vision. I'll try to take one photo tonight. 2 at max.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    They appear to both have been eating, since 10 dubias are gone and found 2 piles of digested food.
    Two piles of digested food? They don't vomit. All you should be finding is little poops.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, that's what I found. Just tried to use another word for "poop" They did not vomit, no worries.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information