Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Agalychnis callidryas

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Agalychnis callidryas

It's been almost a month since the last update, so I figure it's time again (not sure if someone reads it though )!

The couple have now lived here for about a month, little more than that. And as far as I can read from them, they are both thriving in their terrarium. They are both active at night, sleeping through the entire day, eating as they should etc etc. The plants have grow even more since then, but I don't have a decent picture of it right now. However, just look at my photo album latest picture and just imaging a lot more plants!
    We had to add a second food bowl though, since the female tend to jump right in the bowl and then she justs sits there, eating. Now with two bowls, they can both eat whenever they want, without need to pay attention to what the other frog is doing.

So, now that it's been a while, and the female have got some weight to her, it's time to start the breeding project. We will gradually lower the humidity and not add much moist at all until it reaches a low enough level. After that, it'll be dry season time, with much scares food and much lower humidity, only the waterfall as a water source. After that, we'll start the heavy rain and hope for the best. I already have 6 people here in the vicinity that would like to buy baby red eyes, so I'm hopeful. Just need to find a good recording of other male red eyes calling, to increase the males lust and willingness to party hard! If anyone have a good recording of this, please let me know!

Let me end todays update with three new pictures, one of the male and two of the females. These creatures really are the pinnacle of glorious evolution.

Female:

Male:

And one more thing. I accidentally recorded my male calling (however, it's not a good one, therefore I don't think it'll work as a breeding-enhancer.), so if you want to know how one of their call sounds like, check it out. It's a extremely short (1-2 sec) and bad quality... but still:
    http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman02/b4...Grodl%E4te.wav

EDIT: Changed the picture of the male, since I uploaded the bad picture...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

How exciting! Good luck with the breeding. They are both beautiful and should definitely have some beautiful offspring . Do you ship to Pa? I can't wait to see more pictures!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Thank you Heather! If the children are merely half as beautiful as the parents, they'll still be amazingly beautiful

I'm not sure what Pa is, but I'm pretty sure I can't ship there. I will only be able to sell within Sweden at first, and not even by shipping (just driving to deliver or that people pick them up at our apartment). Our goal is to provide the Swedish froggers with a reliable source of healthy, captive bred red eyes. After that, we'll try to setup everything to ship safely and legally within Europe.. We will probably never ship to the US, because there's really no need. You have the species in abundance in the hobby already.

Nationality
    [United States]

This is true. We are pretty lucky here.

I will likely purchase from joshsfrogs again. It's tough not being able to pick out the exact frog though. You get what they send. My baby Bubbles is from there. She is very pretty, although does have a few of the white natural spots.

I found my Stickers at a local pet store and she is beautiful. They rarely order in frogs though. It was just my lucky day .

That's awesome! Forgive me, I had forgotten you were from Sweden . I often just read the articles and don't really look at profiles.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

It's now official a dry season for the little frogs. Poor guys, so dry in there compared to what they're used to. I just hope it'll pay off in the long run.
    Everyone loves pictures, right?

Female:

Male:

rosaphile

Oh my goodness, they are so beautiful! I am definitely going to have to keep RETFs someday. Best of luck with the breeding program, I'll be watching this space!

Nationality
    [United States]

Beautiful!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the kind words! They really are beautiful.

Turns out, our terrarium is pretty good at maintaining a stable humidity at good levels... This is good, of course, but not when trying to simulate a dry season.
    We've turned off the ReptiFogger completely, removed the one small cover of the small mesh. We've also turned off the UTH that are used to create more humidity. The waterfall is turned off (but is still used as a water bowl). Now, after all this, the humidity is at about 50% during the day (after slowly dropping over a 2 day period), which is good. However, when the night approaches, it's still reaching levels near 80%. So, we went shopping today and this is how it turned out. Hopefully, this little bad boy will help lower the humidity during the night It'll be used with both a dimmer and a timer.

Badger

Looking good, I think the fan will help a lot at night. How old are they, or did you get em as froglets?

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I don't remember exactly how old they are (I do not have the paper right here), but about 2 years old. They were bought at this age as proven breeders.

Badger

Awesome. Do RETF's have to aestivate before breeding?

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

No, they do not aestivate, but they can enter some sort of semi-brumation state when it gets incredibly dry, in order to maintain moist. This is not necessary when breeding though, since it's more of a emergency action. However, they do need a seasonal cycle, since they breed when the rain season begins. This happens after the dry season, so need to simulate both these seasons in order to breed them, which is what we are doing right now.

Badger

Ahhh, now the drying out makes sense. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

The monsoon is upon us! We've now started the rainy season with all its glory, and one night have past so far without any luck, but there's still a good chance we might get some eggs.
    What we have done to simulate it:

1. The water fall is once again operational.

2. The fogger is on constantly, but on the lowest output level.

3. The pump used for the waterfall now seconds as a "rain pump". One hose is running from the pump up to the top of the tank, so the water falls down to the waterpart to simulate actual rain a bit more.

4. The mossy frogs have so kindly allowed the red eyes to borrow their rainsystem (the Exo-terra Monsoon), which operaters about 20 seconds ever hour (during the day). At night, it's on much more.

5. The food stocks are once again flourising! Plenty of food of different kind are once again aviable.

6. Our stereo is constantly playing recordings of red eyes calling to set the mood for them.

Wish us luck and let's hope we get some eggs!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Amplexus achived!!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Amplexus achived!!
    We actually got a picture of it now that they're sleeping.

rosaphile

The happy couple!

Congrats on your success thus far!

Badger

Awesome!

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Big congrats! Hope it continues to go as you've planned.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe! Congrats!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information