Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Agalychnis callidryas

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Agalychnis callidryas

I tried to take a single picture, but it turned out real crappy. I'll try another night again. I'm more sure than ever that they're both eating now, so everthing's great in there! Today, I had the most amazing experince. I actually woke up around 08:30, by the calling of the male. That's just incredible.

I'm thinking about breeding moths as additional feeders to the dubias. If anyone have any ideas, tips or knowledge about this, I woul greatly appriciate it!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Today, I had the most amazing experince. I actually woke up around 08:30, by the calling of the male. That's just incredible.
    Cool! Do you have a way of recording the sound? That'd be neat.

I'm thinking about breeding moths as additional feeders to the dubias. If anyone have any ideas, tips or knowledge about this, I woul greatly appriciate it!
    Waxworms turn into moths fairly easily.

BG

Hi Martin,how is your groda.lol

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=UncleChester;77121]Cool! Do you have a way of recording the sound? That'd be neat.[quote]
    I only have my cell phone, and I doubt that will make a decent recording. I'll try though and post it here, if I manage to get something!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Waxworms turn into moths fairly easily.
    Ah, great advice! I've search for moth-ideas, but didn't found much, and now I see why... Didn't occur to me that the larvae actually meta-morphed to something, silly me. I might try to setup a wax worm colony and try to feed the frogs some occasional moths. I just need to do more research about the moths as actual feeders (if there's anything harmful about them, if the could be a danger to the plants etc. etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Hi Martin,how is your groda.lol
    Grodorna mår bra, both of them!

I just need to do more research about the moths as actual feeders (if there's anything harmful about them, if the could be a danger to the plants etc. etc.).
    I believe the moths don't actually eat at all, just the larva. In any case, the average lifespan of a moth that's been released into one of my treefrog vivs is about 2 seconds. If you happen to come across the nutritional content of the moth form, I'd love to see it though. I've only seen values for the larva.

I don't know if there's much of a difference between them, but the waxworms typically available for feeders here are of the "Greater" variety, Galleria mellonella.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I believe the moths don't actually eat at all, just the larva. In any case, the average lifespan of a moth that's been released into one of my treefrog vivs is about 2 seconds. If you happen to come across the nutritional content of the moth form, I'd love to see it though. I've only seen values for the larva.
    Treefrogs sure seems to love moths! Sadly, I have not found any nutrition values about the actual moths. However, if they're used as an occasional treat, the the values shouldn't be a problem (unless they're extremly high in something). IF I find anything, I'll let you know!

I don't know if there's much of a difference between them, but the waxworms typically available for feeders here are of the "Greater" variety, Galleria mellonella.
    Yes, this seems to be the case here as well. I'm getting some second thoughts about it, since they moths have a wingspan of 30–41 mm according to Wikipedia. This seems a little bit to large for my red-eyes. I'm guessing the moths are at a constant size, since they do not eat (like you said), so I can't use the "baby moths" either.
    I'm guessing the Smaller wax moths are smaller, but they seem to be hard to get.

Maybe I should revise that to "the waxworms available here are typically sold as Galleria mellonella", because now I'm doubting what kind I get. Mine have a wingspan closer to 20~25mm and nothing approaching 40mm. It could be their living conditions stunt their growth or I have the Lesser version.

In any case the wings are flimsy and crunch up easily, so it's more the body size that I'd look at for feeding purposes.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

UncleChester, I feel that we're derailing quite a lot from the topic. However, I would love to continue our conversation about this. PM will be sent in a few minutes.
    A small update from this evening:
    About 2 minutes after the lights went out, they woke up. Their day/night-cycle seems to be very good. I tried to take two pictures today, but they didn't turn out well... I'll post them anyway, but they are crappy pictures, I warn you. It seems like one of them are taking all the food, so I might have to add more dubias than they would eat, just to make sure both are getting some. As you can see in the pictures, one of them are really comfortable in being around the feeding dish. The other one are sitting above it (as you can see on the picture, you just have to look more closely on top on the picture), and it does not have any powder around it's mouth like the one I know ate do.

EDIT: And yeah, we're having a temporary feeding bowl-setup, since we had a slight problem with the original one. That's why it looks strange.

bshmerlie

Looking at the picture of him sitting in the bowl he looks very healthy. If he's a bowl hog you can always add another bowl. Or nudge him with your finger telling him to move on. Sometimes they'll sit there for hours. Or you can get a bigger bowl. Don't worry about them getting too fat. Red Eyes don't get obese like Whites tree frogs. And if they start looking too plump just skip a day. I feed mine every day but you don't have to. I just like to keep them on a ritual. Its gets their lazy buts out of bed and I get to see them all everyday around the food dish. Its a way to ensure that I see them all to make sure they all look healthy everyday.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Marléne succeeded in taking a pretty nice picture today. I'm guessing it's the female, since this one was quite much larger than the other, which we saw but could not take a picture of. She looks really fat, might just slow down with the feeding a few days. I'm looking forward to introducing the night-light, when they have settled in, so I can easier monitor if both are eating.
    Also, this one in the picture always stays very light green. The smaller one, probably the male, change to a very dark green colour at night. A good way to keep them apart, when you can't judge by size.

The two Dracaena sanderiana were a very good plant choice. Directly after the lights are turned off, they head over to them, one frog on each sanderiana. I highly recommend them to anyway planning to keep red-eyes. I'm guessing it's because they're both placed in the waterfall, and they go to the top, and on their way they're crossing the food bowl. So they can sit on them and look down the food bowl, or go to the water fall via them. When they're down staring the food bowl down, they proceed to using every other plant in there.

Nationality
    [United States]

Very nice! He looks happy .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Four days since my last post, time for a small update.
    Both frogs are still doing excellent, and they both seem perfectly settled in already. One thing that really surprised my is that the already, after not even 2 weeks, know when it's food time and when it's time to wake up. I obviously keep the lights on a timer, so they get the day/night-cycle they need. Just a minute or so the lights go out, I pour the feeders in the bowl. So, they both wake up (just sitting in the same place, not actually moving until the lights are off) just a few minutes before it turns dark. Then, when it actually turns dark, they both begin the gentle climb to bottom of the tank to feed on some deliciously dusted roaches.

Here's a picture of the female, just 30 seconds before the lights goes out. What struck me is that incredibly small pupil (at night, you can barely see the redness, that's how big the pupil gets). They truly are night-lovers:

So, if things continues to progress as well as it has so far, we'll start the breeding process in a few weeks, by lowering the humidity to create the dry season. After that, it's monsoon time! And then, with some help of romantically croaking mp3.-files, there will hopefully be some fertilized eggs.

Bonus picture:

Same picture, close up:

bshmerlie

They both look to be doing fantastic. Thanks for the updated pictures. I truly hope you have great luck with them. God knows Europe could use more Red Eyes.

I heard my male Waldo doing the shaking thing again last night but I was too tired to get up and film him. I'm going to catch him in the act here this weekend...I promise.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    God knows Europe could use more Red Eyes.
    Amen!
    I heard my male Waldo doing the shaking thing again last night but I was too tired to get up and film him. I'm going to catch him in the act here this weekend...I promise.
    You better! Can't wait to see it in action!

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    dubias.
    You're feeding dubias? That's good food. I'm making a setup for breeding them for our animals. Do you breed them too?

Really nice animals of course. I'm going to Hamm Germany in december. It's a 2 and a half hour drive, but it's worth it. (For a Dutchman it's a pretty long drive, considering our country isn't longer than 400 km) Are you going as well?
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
    You're feeding dubias? That's good food. I'm making a setup for breeding them for our animals. Do you breed them too?

Really nice animals of course. I'm going to Hamm Germany in december. It's a 2 and a half hour drive, but it's worth it. (For a Dutchman it's a pretty long drive, considering our country isn't longer than 400 km) Are you going as well?
    Yes, I feed dubias as a staple diet, which I breed. They're a very good food, much better than crickets if you ask me.

I'm not going to Hamm in December I'm afraid. Living in the northern part of Sweden, my road trip is more like 2200 km or something like that. I would kill to have Hamm just 2½ h away
    These frogs were bought in Hamm September, but I did not go there personally. A friend picked them up for me, while he was there.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

At least you're living in a more beautifull country than The Netherlands. Are there any expo's in Sweden? We only have a few, so we rely on Germany for a great deal.
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
    At least you're living in a more beautifull country than The Netherlands. Are there any expo's in Sweden? We only have a few, so we rely on Germany for a great deal.
    I've left you a visitor message on this topic!

This night is great! First of all, I got to see the male shed his skin! Being a snake-person by heart, I've really looked forward to seeing this in action. Didn't think I would see it so soon though! It was really amazing. What's also amazing is the pace that they learn things. They already know that lights out = feeding time, and they immediately rush to the leaves over the bowl to wait for the food-drop. This evening, they were very impatient. This is what I found when I was about to feed them, just a few minutes after the light turned off:

So, I went to get the food (which took 10 seconds), and this is what I found when I got back:

That's the male reaching down to the feeding bowl... I haven't even put anything in there yet! So I waited a minute or two for him to move, which he did (he sat his skinny button on the side of the bowl) and then added the dubias, after which they both immediately started to eat.
    And one more thing... The male is really calling a lot tonight. Like, every 5 minutes! I like it.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I'm really not a photographer... Marléne (my beloved girl) on the other, is! So here's a bonus picture from the male, after a night of vigorous eating...

bshmerlie

Martin, I love your little updates. I feel your excitement when I read you posts. Big Mama (my Xanthic female) use to sit in the bowl waiting for the crickets to come. After a few times of dropping them on her head she now sits on the rim to wait for them.

I set up a tripod with a night vision movie camera to catch my little dude shaking his butt. I don't think anybody has filmed this in captivity before so Im really hoping he does this for me. Im going to scream like a little girl if I can get some good video. He seems to do it the couple of hours before dawn. I trimmed back my monstrous jungle so I can get a clear view.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Martin, I love your little updates. I feel your excitement when I read you posts. Big Mama (my Xanthic female) use to sit in the bowl waiting for the crickets to come. After a few times of dropping them on her head she now sits on the rim to wait for them.

I set up a tripod with a night vision movie camera to catch my little dude shaking his butt. I don't think anybody has filmed this in captivity before so Im really hoping he does this for me. Im going to scream like a little girl if I can get some good video. He seems to do it the couple of hours before dawn. I trimmed back my monstrous jungle so I can get a clear view.
    Thank you for the kind words Cheri, I really enjoy giving updates so I'm glad someone enjoys reading them
    I can't wait to see the video, get it uploaded ASAP! By the way, do all of you crazy americans have a nightvision camera with tripod just laying around..? I don't even know where to start looking for one.

I sadly don't have a picture tonight. I want to give them a brake, since I took a few pictures both yesterday and the day before that. They did brake my heart a little bit though... They did not get any food today, and yet they both sat on the rim of the bowl, waiting for the food... They sat there for at least two hours. So we're probably rearranging the feeding schedule so that they get fewer dubias every day. It's the same to them, it' just easier on me, hehe.
    The covered side is being removed, a little bit every second night. So in a week or so the "settling in phase" is officially over. Although they settled in great after a few days, but better to be safe than sorrow.
    Oh, one final thing. They male seem to poop directly on the base of one of the plants. Organic fertilizer, aw yeah!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information