Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman baby help!

reptilegirl

Unhappy Pacman baby help!

I bought a Pacman baby frog last sunday for my birthday. He still hasnt ate and looks skinnier than a pacman should be.

I've offered small crickets and mealies. No response. I came in from work tonight moved his soil to find him and he out of no where died on me and kicked his legs out and opened mouth and no breathing. Then I put him in warm/lukewarm water and he came back to life!

I'm SO confused and new to frogs! I have lizards, just never had a frog.

His temp is 76-78 I don't have an undertank heater yet because I didn't know how it would be with his medium kritter keeper.

Tomorrow I'm going to get him one in the morning from my work. Will it melt the plastic at all? And will the UTH help him eat?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Pacman baby help!

He sounds like he's laking in nutrients. you also have to keep them warm,especially the young ones. The temp should be at 80.especially when they are in this condition.You might have to force feed him to get him going. I had the same problem when my ornate came home with me in may. The cool temps got to him. Also can we see your setup or if you can tell us what you have him in. Also check the care sheet on the forum.

reptilegirl

He is in the Medium KK, a shallow dish, and a half log. I forgot to get him a plant so Im subbing my half log for him right now. Let me get some pics for you right quick.

I did try force feeding and he just stuck his hand in his mouth and shuved the food out. I have him covered right now sitting near/not super close to my bearies heat lamp just to get some little heat til tomorrow AM for the heat pad.

Should I upgrade him to a LG kritter keeper for the mini heat pad or will it melt?

*EDIT: PICS*
    Name:  296427_2081039395452_1529070319_32130884_1232559628_n.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  65.6 KB
    bean's house

BG

Can you take apic of your little guy. How big is he.Try some luke warm water about 80 degrees. Not tap water!!. let him soak for alittle bit Maybe he need to poop.

reptilegirl

i soaked him a good 20 minutes and he hopped around a lot. He actually pooped a few days ago I saw it and had a "aww a poop" moment :P.

Here is some pics hope these are clear

BG

Go to walmart and go to the fishing and tackle dep. and get the trout worms. They are wigglers . He will definitely go for them . Also he has to be warm so his metabolism gets fast.

BG

The heater has to go on the side of container. Never on the bottom for pacmans.

reptilegirl

Ok, I will get some of those. I'm going early AM to my work/petsmart to get a mini under tank heater. I'm hoping this helps . The poor guy I thought legit died on me. Limbs straight out, open mouth, the whole deal. Then I got him into some water and got the dirt off his face and he was a whole new frog. I felt horrible because his dirt was barely moist because my AC apparently takes away humidity faster. I'm also going to get the coconut husk or w/e that stuff is to soak in water versus using the eco-earth that i buy in the bags for my crested.

Sublime

You can use tap water for letting him soak in it as long as the water is treated with a water conditioner. Reptisafe is a great one, removes traces of metal as well as chlorine/ammonia/etc. As far as keeping in the humidity in his enclosure you can use a damp towel, saran wrap, or plexiglass to keep his humidity up to par. I don't use saran wrap because I'm weird and am nervous of it getting too hot and releasing toxins into the air harmful to my frog so I use a damp towel over half of his cage allowing some ventilation still. Do you have a Thermometer/Humidity gauge? You can pick like a zoo med one up for like 6 bucks to keep the temperatures correct. I don't know what the coconut husk is, but you should always use that eco-earth coconut fiber for your pacman with some moss if you like. The eco-earth holds humidity in great and is impaction risk free if ingested. As long as your enclosure isn't plastic then you can use a heat pad, always placed on the side as BG mentioned for a temperature gradient and because your pacman will burrow down there and burn/dry himself out. The side of the tank allows him to move closer or further away.

reptilegirl

yea i meant the coconut fiber, forgot the name LOL!! Should I buy a 2.5 gallon glass tank? I don't mind using 13$ for the little guy!

BG

He is small now and the smaller the tank the easier for the frog to get the food. Reptile girl the ac is no good for the little guy . Put him in a room with no ac. Thats what happened to my the ac got him sick and didn't want to eat.

Sublime

2.5 gallon is a little on the small side, but for his size it should be ok for a few weeks to a month. I would say get him that if you want, but you should get him a 10-15 gallon long term. Or you can buy a decent size sterilite or rubbermaid bin and use John's guide to building yourself an inexpensive permanent home for your pac, http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...-vivarium.html. Take it easy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

No heat mats or heat pads on plastic terrariums/keepers. you risk melting the plastic and starting a fire not to mention killing the little guy. The warnings for the heat mats/pads say not to place them on plastic keepers. Glass is fine. Your Pac must be kept warm 80 degrees F. humidity 70 to 80 %. you can try force feeding again if you're really worried. Make sure that the crickets arent too big. tiny baby crickets that are as long as the distance between the little guys eyes are the ideal size to feed him/her.

reptilegirl

well today i got him the 2.5 glass tank for temporary since hes tiny, and I got the mini size UTH. I also got him some new soil. Here is some pics:

Right now the temp is 74 I just plugged in heating pad. If the mini isn't enough I'm going to get the small size. I also bought the trout worms so I'm letting him heat up and trying again tonight to feed him.

Oh and his breathing is much better. Last night after he faked his death (i think he did that in defense?) his breathing you could tell was heavy like I cuold see every breath he took. Now he is doing great and isn't breathing so heavy

Nationality
    [United States]

I almost forgot. You should also cover 3 sides of the tank/keeper with some kind of background to make the little guy feel more secure. Some of these frogs are private eaters also. if you have a bright light on when they are being fed at night can stress them a little. The little guy might be more inclined to eat with all these conditions mentioned above in not just my posts, but everyone Else's too. They are nocturnal so should be fed at night preferably.

reptilegirl

Yea I have a towel over him to make him feel better. I'm going to try tonight about 8 PM when I get back from my night classes.

Do i need to dust the worms or anything? I have special dust from Repashy Foods for Crested Geckos who don't use UV, so its not a lot of D3 content in it. And Do I need to cut the worms in half or does he eat them whole? Its like a 3 inch worm :/

demeteraurion

Good luck, I also think you could get a 25w bulb and it will help the temperature. I know that when my heat pad is only on the temp only gets slightly higher and then the lamp and mat are both on its usually 81 degrees or so, mind you my frog is sick :/

reptilegirl

Good point! I didn't know if the bulbs would disturb him because of the light? I have a bunch of not used fixtures from my lizards I can use for him.

Nationality
    [United States]

When using a light don't go any higher than a 50 watt. Also give the little guy some cover during the day so he/she feels hidden and secure. The shade from fake plants helps them feel hidden when the lights on. The 3 side s covered with a background keeps them from being distracted by things outside the enclosure. The front being uncovered for viewing.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by reptilegirl View Post
    Yea I have a towel over him to make him feel better. I'm going to try tonight about 8 PM when I get back from my night classes.

Do i need to dust the worms or anything? I have special dust from Repashy Foods for Crested Geckos who don't use UV, so its not a lot of D3 content in it. And Do I need to cut the worms in half or does he eat them whole? Its like a 3 inch worm :/

Yes dust the food with Calcium dust and multivitamin dust especially when they are babies to help them grow. you can cut the worms in half if they are too large. 3inches is too long for a baby pac. 1 inch is good I believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information