Thread: Butterworms (Chilecomadia moorei)

spooky

Default Butterworms (Chilecomadia moorei)

I'm browsing the net for tasty treats for my troublesome-twosome and found these delicious delights they measure 1.5 - 2cm so would they be too big for my frogs (about 4cm?) and are they high in fat? Apparantly they are higher in calcium and protein than crickets and mealworms, but can't find much info on fat content.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Butterworms (Chilecomadia moorei)

I was told they are about even in terms of fat/protein content. Whether that is accurate or not I am not sure. When I first got my African Bullfrogs, I used them weekly, but then my guys lost intererst. As for size, I'm not sure if they would be okay for yours. I'm used to my big galoofs. Butterworms are softbodied and velvety to the touch (for a worm, they are rather pleasant actually!), so they might be okay. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful-I had trouble finding valuable info as well, so I can only tell you about personal experience.

spooky

Thank you! A little info is beter than none! One of my froggies is looking a bit slender, so am browsing for nutritious goodies to bulk her up a bit

Jace

I think butterworms would work for that. They are nice and squishy and plumb themselves. If nothing else, it provides nice variety in diet and that might encourage your little one to eat a bit more...just to see what else you have! Good luck and keep me posted!

spooky

Thanks Jace I'm just hoping that they're not too big.... She's only teeny tiny!

Jace

Size is a concern. I wish I could give you a straight answer on that, but I would hate to give the wrong advice and have something horrible happen. I wish we had a list of feeder food and sizes that could correspond with frog sizes so that we could take some of the guess work out. I'm rather lucky in the fact that except for the family cat, my frogs can eat pretty much anything!!

deengo1975

Butter worms are rather large. Try wax worms and rollie pollies.

spooky

What's a rollie pollie?? Sounds like fun

Kerry1968

A woodlouse! I have some that live in the tank with my Kassina, though I think the numbers are diminishing!

deengo1975

They are also called pill bugs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Actually, woodlice and pillbugs are two different kinds of animal, they just look similar (your photo is a pillbug). The problem is, as with all common names, people use the common names interchangeably .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

deengo1975

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Actually, woodlice and pillbugs are two different kinds of animal, they just look similar (your photo is a pillbug). The problem is, as with all common names, people use the common names interchangeably .
    I know the difference between a sowbug and a pill bug. The picture above was to reference to my previous post as to what a rollie pollie is. A rollie pollie is what kids call it but it is also a pillbug. A sow bug is very similar but not the same. All in the isopod family. They look like insects but are more closely related to a crustacian and breathe through their gills.

spooky

Ooooh! I see! Thanks for clearing that up!!

Thread Information