Thread: I am new to the forum and to frog keeping and would like some info about keeping frogs!

phubman

Default I am new to the forum and to frog keeping and would like some info about keeping frogs!

i have a 20gal. tank that was once used to keep a piranha but i got him a bigger tank and was looking to get a couple albino pacmans. can i put both of them in the same tank or do they need to be separated? and after reading some other threads i think i have a pretty good grasp on their diet and tank set up other than lighting and heating so if i could get a little info on those two things as well that would be great!

thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: I am new to the forum and to frog keeping and would like some info about keeping frogs!

The only way you could keep them both in the 20g would be to put a divider in it, but I think that's a great idea. Make sure the divider is high though, some frogs can jump pretty high even though they are little fatties lol. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy having frogs

bshmerlie

Default Re: I am new to the forum and to frog keeping and would like some info about keeping frogs!

Welcome to the forum...its great to have you here.

You definately need to separate them, but you could divide the 20 gallon into two with a divider down the middle. Standard lighting is good. If you have live plants you would need 6500K for plant growth. Standard CFL's are easy and cheap. As far as heating goes, place your heat mat on the side of the tank not under the tank. They burrow down and could get burned if you place it under them. They also need to be able to burrow to get away from the heat. Which ever heating device you use make sure to use a thermostat so you can ensure you don't overheat and cook your frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Definitely separate them. If you do use a divider, make sure that each side has a temperature gradient; each frog will need to have a warmer and cooler section. If you've read the pacman care articles and some of the other posts, then you're probably off to a good start. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Welcome to the forum and good luck!

nickc

I use a 25watt household lightbulb to keep the temp around 80 degrees

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Welcome phubman! Looks like you got some good advice in this thread I would also suggest taking a look at the care sheet - Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Guenhwyvar

If You're looking at albinos, you need to be careful about the lighting. Albinos can get sunburned and go blind easy from a bulb meant to grow plants. I suggest using one blue "night" bulb and one coralife grow bulb, if you're going with lighting. I use that combo, you can get coralife bulbs at petsmart or petco for $9.99 that are half night and half day so you don't burn your frogs. They are not social by any accounts. My guy tried busting through the glass to get my PCF in the next tank I had to put a blocker up so they couldn't see each other. good luck, and remember not to let the pet shops talk you into an "albino ornate" the only albino out there is the cranwelli and they aren't as expensive. the ornata get a bit bigger than the cranwelli and i've heard them to be a bit more aggressive. I have a dark red and brown ornata and he's a little spitfire.

p.s. They aren't good swimmers, they can drown in their own waterdish. they aren't the smartest frogs out there keep the dish shallow so they can crawl in and out without problems. I use a pot dish that has enamel on it, easy to clean and no worries about him cutting himself.

BG

You get some plexi glad and cut it to fit. Then you get the divided holders from a fish store that sells flowerhorns ciclids and get them from there. Ask the guy what you want to do they are 4$ address of 2. They work gray.

Thread Information