Thread: No Soap to clean Tank ?

ScumBum

Default No Soap to clean Tank ?

What should I use to clean my Toad tank out ? Don't use any soap at all ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: No Soap to clean Tank ?

It depends - are you completely gutting it and cleaning it out or is it something more minor?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

ScumBum

If someone could tell my exactly how much cleaning , weekly and monthly for this setup . I change their water bowl everyday with bottled spring water .

Should I take everything out once a week and hose it off ?

I got some frog moss in there how often should I clean it ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

I have a terrarium set up similar to yours and I clean mine every 2 to 3 weeks. I am a clean freak when it comes to my frog’s housing area and make sure everything—the tank, furnishings, soil, moss, etc..—is either thoroughly cleaned or replaced. To clean my tank, I normally use hydrogen peroxide; it’s a safe and effective cleaning agent. I take everything out of the tank and spray the inside thoroughly with pure hp. I then let it sit for about 10 minutes. I have tupperware containers in which I place the furnishings in and also spray them with hp and let them sit for a time; however, I spray my wood furnishings with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution (60% hp and 40% water) since the wood absorbs more liquid. After letting the inside of the tank soak in hydrogen peroxide, I fill the tank with really hot water from my faucet—not all the way though, just enough so I can still lift my tank. I then let that sit for about 5-10 min more. In the meantime, I scrub and rinse the tank furnishings in hot water and lay them out to air dry or dry them off with paper towels. Once the tank has had a good soaking, I usually scrub the inside with a rag. I then dump the water down the toilet or bathtub and dry the tank with paper towels. Next, I place fresh soil and moss (I use the bagged kind off moss and just replace it every cleaning time, since it is not live moss) and then put back the tank furnishings and amphibians. You could also use bleach to clean your tank, but I would definitely NOT use it for your wood furnishings or moss. If you do use bleach for your tank, make sure you rinse it out really well and then do a “sniff test”.

Is that moss in the picture live moss? I’m not sure how to clean moss, since I just replace it with new moss.
    Also, I didn’t think that bottled waters were safe to use for frogs, because of the salts/metals they contain; but maybe I’m wrong. Do you let the water sit out uncovered for a day or two before giving it to your frogs? This allows any harmful materials to evaporate and thus makes it more frog safe.

ScumBum

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    I have a terrarium set up similar to yours and I clean mine every 2 to 3 weeks. I am a clean freak when it comes to my frog’s housing area and make sure everything—the tank, furnishings, soil, moss, etc..—is either thoroughly cleaned or replaced. To clean my tank, I normally use hydrogen peroxide; it’s a safe and effective cleaning agent. I take everything out of the tank and spray the inside thoroughly with pure hp. I then let it sit for about 10 minutes. I have tupperware containers in which I place the furnishings in and also spray them with hp and let them sit for a time; however, I spray my wood furnishings with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution (60% hp and 40% water) since the wood absorbs more liquid. After letting the inside of the tank soak in hydrogen peroxide, I fill the tank with really hot water from my faucet—not all the way though, just enough so I can still lift my tank. I then let that sit for about 5-10 min more. In the meantime, I scrub and rinse the tank furnishings in hot water and lay them out to air dry or dry them off with paper towels. Once the tank has had a good soaking, I usually scrub the inside with a rag. I then dump the water down the toilet or bathtub and dry the tank with paper towels. Next, I place fresh soil and moss (I use the bagged kind off moss and just replace it every cleaning time, since it is not live moss) and then put back the tank furnishings and amphibians. You could also use bleach to clean your tank, but I would definitely NOT use it for your wood furnishings or moss. If you do use bleach for your tank, make sure you rinse it out really well and then do a “sniff test”.

Is that moss in the picture live moss? I’m not sure how to clean moss, since I just replace it with new moss.
    Also, I didn’t think that bottled waters were safe to use for frogs, because of the salts/metals they contain; but maybe I’m wrong. Do you let the water sit out uncovered for a day or two before giving it to your frogs? This allows any harmful materials to evaporate and thus makes it more frog safe.

Thanks for all the advice .

The water I use is crystal geyser spring water . I thought I read somewhere that you can use bottled water if its "spring water" . I could get really good water from a water store thats uses reverse osmosis if the bottled spring water is not good to use . The moss I used is Zoo Med Frog Moss , I believe its living moss . So Hydrgen peroxide is good to use . I'll do the method you suggested .

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Glad to help!!
    If you're ever unsure of the water, whether its safe or not, just leave it uncovered for a day or two, like I said above. That's what I like to do to play it safe

Thread Information