Thread: Examples of Tree "Branch" System Background?

Lynx

Question Examples of Tree "Branch" System Background?

In my research of vivarium building methods, I stumbled on a post about another person who created a background of a network of tree branches, on the glass, that extended all along the sides of the tank. However, neither the methods used nor a link was provided. I tried searching that particular forum and had no luck. Anyone done this, seen this, or have a link? I can't find anything like it, and this sounds PERFECT for my 4 gray tree frogs. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Examples of Tree "Branch" System Background?

Lynx

Ha! I was drooling over that a couple weeks ago - even went out and bought the supplies, except I wasn't sure what the U.S. equivalent for Flevopol was. But I believe the other viv I read mentioned was similar, except you could see through the glass between the branches. And the branches turned the other way . Seriously though, that's one of 2 or 3 different looks I'm trying to decide on. The other huge obstacle is figuring out which methods to use to achieve what I see in my head. Spent the last 2 days digging and practicing. My dining room and kitchen are trashed.

Do you still have the link to the viv you are thinking of? More sources of inspiration are always a good thing.

I understand that Flevopol is a cement binder available in europe. I find it amusing that a google search for "Flevopol" the first bunch of links have to do with making vivariums and nothing to do with its original usage (It might just be these are the highest ranked english language pages with Flevopol). This looked interesting for fake trees:

http://www.bbrock.frognet.org/Making... and vines.pdf

Though a chainsaw to tackle the roots of trees that fell over after a windstorm seems easier.

This is one of the most awesome fake rock backgrounds I've seen if you have any interest in that approach:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/22002-60-gallon-construction.html

j
    ust to add more options for you

Lynx

That's just it, there was never a link, only a mention of it. The thread that mentioned it was over 3 years old. The guy said something along the lines of, "if you look around dendroboard you'll find it."

Thank you for the links; they've been bookmarked! You may have just made it even harder for me to choose, lol. Here's #2 of the 3 vivarium backgrounds I'm trying to decide on: http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/terra-construction/3621-my-method-building-fake-faux-rocks.html

I
    n fact, I just finished a small "practice rock" and put it in the tank last night. I don't care for how it turned out, but it gives them something else to climb and perch on, and I learned a lot.
    Last edited by Lynx; September 9th, 2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added pic

BG

These stuff is wild. Unreal.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

( thumbs up!)
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Lynx

I'm desperate for a stump with roots. There's tons of downed trees, vines, etc in the small city nature preserve right up the street. I got quite a few strange looks on the trails when I was spotted carrying a dead branch and bark. A chainsaw would probably get me arrested

Kutschy

I am in the middle of a driftwood progect, there was a flood recently so it is everywhere. I'm in the process of uploading pictures now. It shows what kind of stuff I look for. There is 2 small rooted pieces that look amazing. A driftwood scene breeding tank is what I am up to

Kutschy

This is yesterdays find. I will see what I can all make with it and upload a driftwood project
    Kutschy's Album: Driftwood find

Thread Information