Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenopus frog food

Angus

Default Xenopus frog food

Have any of you ever wondered that if the food you are feeding your frogs is good enough for them? well... i have recently been thinking that due to not having the recommended food.
    where i live there is nothing called a pet shop in the whole country there is nothing. I've always dreamed of opening up a PET SHOP. but that is way out of my league.
    anyway. here are the foods that i usually feed them.
    minced beef,minced beef,minced beef,minced beef,minced beef, THAT'S ALL I HAVE FOR THEM AND IM FEELING SORRY FOR THEM!

Isent there anything else i can feed the besides MINCED BEEF??
    is there some thing that i can like prepare for them and freeze it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What types of frogs do you have? Do they eat the beef well? Being the beef is not running around alive like crickets or other insects, you might be able to get them to eat dried crickets. I'm not sure if they are as nutritious as live ones though. But, dried crickets can be purchased. You might even be able to purchase frozen ones. And depending on the size and type of your frogs, I'm am sure you can purchase live chilled worms on the Internet. Is there anywhere to go fishing there that would sell worms or crickets as bait?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Xenopus frog food

Hi Angus:

One good thing about Xenopus is that they will eat just about anything that will go into their mouth. A variety of non-poisonous insects, slugs, worms, aquatic invertebrates, and even small fish will be taken eagerly. Unfortunately, a steady diet of meat is not good for these frogs and eventually cause vitamin A deficiency and metabolic bone disease. Since Xenopus is native to Mozambique, there should be no problems finding food for them. How large are your frogs and would you be able to post any pictures?
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Angus

here are some pics of the xen frogs i have X. levies and X. mueleri.

Name:  xeno5.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  45.6 KBName:  xeno2.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  38.1 KBName:  xeno3.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  37.5 KBName:  xeno7.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  50.3 KBName:  xeno4.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  46.6 KBName:  xeno12.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  48.6 KB

6. This member thanks Angus for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Angus:

Thanks for the photos. Are X.laevis and X.muelleri living together in the same body of water or are they in separate locations? It would be interesting to know if they're any hybrids.
    Terry Gampper

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

8. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Angus

Yes they are living together. i have more photoes on my profile
    and, having them live together i'm leaning their difference. and have found that X. muelleri"s metabolism in much faster than the X laevis.

Angus

no, i have no hybrids here..

Angus

There is one X. laevis that i have and recently it has grown black spots on the under side of its legs as you can see in this photo. is this normal for them to change colour paterns? the frog is only 7 months old
    and the other 3 X. laevis froglets that are the biggest of all that are only 4cm from the tip of the their noses to the cloaca, have started singing. but singing in short busts 2 to 4 second long, and continue after about two min or so. they dont sing all the time. they usualy sing alot after i feed them and the three of them have mating pads but not very dark pads. and what bugs me is that they are only 7 months old and i know their age coz i raised them from eggs
    can anyone help me with answers?
    Terry i'm sure you can. you have already helped me on all my questions.
    i would really appreciate it.
    thanks
    Angus

Jakub T

Moths are very good food for clawed frogs - they're vivacious, and often large. My Xenopus laevis and Silurana tropicalis love to eat this kind of insects. Even my African Dwarf Frogs are eating moths, of course, in small size

13. This member thanks Jakub T for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Angus:

Sorry for not responding sooner. I looked through my African amphibian field guides and could not find any reference of X. laevis having large black spots on the underside. So, I have no explanation for the spots. Just keep a close eye on the spots. There is only one species of southern African Xenopus that has spots on the belly and on the underside of the legs - X. petersii, but they are found only in Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia and northeast into Tanzania.

Photo xeno3.jpg is your typical X. muelleri. The key is the subocular tentacle just under the eye. Muelleri's tentacle is very long. I have never seen a pattern as in photo xeno2.jpg. That's my favorite

The age of sexual maturity for laevis is about 9 months for females and a year for males. You will find that muelleri isn't as large as laevis. Males will develop thick "nuptial" pads and the cloaca (vent) of the female will be swollen.

The call of X. laevis is quite complicated. The male has at least three distinct calls and the female has two. It appears that the female determines how long or short the male's advertisement call is. The male will call first, if the female likes him, she will give a long rap with excites the male. If the female is not interested, she will give a slow tick and the male will abruptly stop calling. These duets can be quite loud. Mine like to call in the twilight hours, just before sunrise and just after sunset.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to Frog Forum. Thanks for the food information. Would like to see pictures of your frogs
    Terry Gampper

---
    Adrian Forsyth

16. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Jakub T

I created an album: http://www.frogforum.net/members/jak...a-jakub-t.html
    My young African Clawed Frogs (wild type), Dwarf Frogs and a pair of Tropical Clawed Frogs

Angus

thank you Jacob.
    and thank you too terry.

but have there been any record of acf frogs singing and having pads at a youg age of 7 months? and my frogs arent even that big as you can see in this one photo its not longer than 5 cm.

and about the spots on the one frog of mine, i think its normal, because in Jacobs photos one of his acf also has spots. teh image below is the frog that has the spots.

thank you
    Angus

Attachment 0Name:  xeno4.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  46.6 KBName:  xeno5.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  45.6 KB

Jakub T

Yes, young ACF's have spots, that disappear with maturation - it's the opinion of my friend - he has six adult frogs, including four in "wild type".

20. This member thanks Jakub T for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    but have there been any record of acf frogs singing and having pads at a youg age of 7 months? and my frogs arent even that big as you can see in this one photo its not longer than 5 cm.
    I think it is normal for a male to call at 7 months. Even though the average sexual maturity for males is about 12 months, there are always individuals that seem to break the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    and about the spots on the one frog of mine, i think its normal, because in Jacobs photos one of his acf also has spots. teh image below is the frog that has the spots.
    Jacob is right. Young Xenopus do have spots that will go away as the frog matures.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

ae
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub T View Post
    I created an album: http://www.frogforum.net/members/jak...a-jakub-t.html
    My young African Clawed Frogs (wild type), Dwarf Frogs and a pair of Tropical Clawed Frogs
    I like your photos of Silurana tropicalis I would say it is one of my favorite African species. According to many researchers, this species is replacing X. leavis as a model lab organism. The reason is that S. tropicalis matures twice as fast as X. laevis and is less genetically complicated. By the way, frogs in the genus Silurana are more closely related to Pipa (Surinam toads) and Hymenochirus (dwarf clawed frogs) than to Xenopus.
    Terry Gampper

---
    Adrian Forsyth

Jakub T

Their behavior is quite different from the clawed frogs (Xenopus laevis). Most of the time they spend motionless at the water surface, between the plants. They are not good swimmers, in contrast to the clawed frogs. Often bury themselves in the substrate. Their favorite food are insects, like crickets, flies, moths.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It is highly recommended that you add a Xenopus enrichment pad (fancy name for a plastic lily pad) to your tank. Silurana tropicalis, S. epitropicalis, and a new species, S. paratropicalis like to bask out of the water.
    Terry Gampper

---
    Adrian Forsyth

Jakub T

So, I want to buy them this kind of easement. I also thought about a flat piece of wood on the surface. Unfortunately, this species of frogs often destroys and moves the elements in the aquarium - even quite large stones. All decorations must be strong, the stones can be connected together with aquarium silicone.

Angus

hi guys i have good news i've just started trying to breed earth worms, so hopefully they will start breeding soon.
    I have been thinking of ordering some proper frog food for xenopus frogs. from where you are from Ser Terry, the USA. but the only problem is i dont know where they sell it , i dont know what types of food they sell in the pet stores and what food to order for my frogs. and if they will be able to mail or DHL me the food after i buy it. and what are the costs of Xenopus frog food.
    I feel sorry for my frogs for not having a big variety of food. and its not like i can go and let my little frogs go in the near by pond of lake coz they will either get eaten by fish or get killed by the local kids as i've seen them do a number of times.
    many times i feel like going at catching all the frogs in the aria and keeping them. but i cant coz i only have two tanks one that i keep the xen frogs in and the other with a juvenile African bull frog.
    if you guys can please help me out on the food.
    thanks
    Angus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information