Thread: Confirmed Male at 3.5 inches, discussion about Rodents, growth rate, etc...

Tombot

Default Confirmed Male at 3.5 inches, discussion about Rodents, growth rate, etc...

Hi all, I posted about a month ago with a poll to determine male or female. A month later, he continues to grow and his vertical stripe is already appearing. I bought him on June 25th, and almost 2 months later I measured him at 86 millimeters (about 3.5 inches). I found a website which had constructed the average growth rate of a sample of male and female pyxie frogs, following their final metamorphasis. I marked my frog's weight and age on the chart accordingly (indicated by the green dot, thanks microsoft paint.)

From the chart, he has grown abnormally fast for his expected age (although I do not have an exact date of metamorphasis, it could not have been > 2 weeks as he was the size of a quarter when I purchased him). I had been feeding him crickets for about a month, and over the course of the last month, began feeding him FT rat pinkies. I would feed him one every two days, and his growth EXPLODED. I can't beleive how big he got in just the last month.

I have known mamallian tissue is difficult for frogs to digest, however I had been told the nutritional quality is unparalleled in calcium and other vitamins/minerals- a parallel of feeding a baby extra strong formula food was alikened to feeding a baby pyxie or pacman frog rodents.

I have done further research which indicates to me this may be doing more long term harm than good. Apparently these lipoproteins are impossible to leave the bloodstream and greatly descrease the longevity of the frog whom is reguarly fed rodents.

Any comments about other's experience with regular rodent feeding, be it good or bad, please post here. Pictures attatched. Happy frogging
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Confirmed Male at 3.5 inches, discussion about Rodents, growth rate, etc...

I hope that web site was this one because I'm the person who put that chart up on the internet in my article...

It does look like a young male frog though. Regarding the diet, earthworms are going to trump mice as food every time, in my opinion, particularly with a little supplementation. Great level of calcium to phosphorus, very easily digested, great protein, and very little fat.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

BG

Default Re: Confirmed Male at 3.5 inches, discussion about Rodents, growth rate, etc...

I have been growing out two giant African bullfrogs. They have grown rapidly mostly on dubias,earthworms ,tadpoles,cooked shrimp,rodents,imitation crab legs,minnows. They are doing great so far. But to many rodents is no good for the frogs. Its an easy way to fat them up and that is not normal. But I'm glad you are keeping records on your frog. Its very smart.You can actually catch something wrong sooner then late.

MonsterPyxie

I don't want to step on any toes, being a new member and not experenced with these frogs.

but wouldn't it be highly possible that in the natural life of a pyxie that they come across a huge amount of small field mice? Mice run all over, finding food and water and I'd be willing to bet that a pyxie in wait would nab them up regularly.

While I see feeding them once every two weeks isn't bad...... hell once a week would probably be just fine...... I do think a every day feeding is WAY over kill, and the frog should have its diet broadened much more.

Kevin1

To say rodents are never part of a wild pyxies diet is just silly to me. I do however believe that in nature they have better "tools" to help digest and detoxify rodent meals in nature that we haven't been able fathom yet. Just think of the huge range of all kinds of choices to choose from. Compare that to the boxes we keep them in. We give them very limited choices and with those limited choices they can only do so much.

Thread Information