Thread: Pacman and a Toad?

Poly

Default Pacman and a Toad?

Hello everyone!

I'm looking at getting a baby albino pacman, and would like to know if I can put it in the same tank that my toad lives in.

My toad, when I purchase the Pacman will be about 1 year old, so there's no chance of the pacman eating the toad and visa-versa.

Here's my toads 10 gallon tank: Name:  004.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  72.2 KBName:  001.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  79.2 KB

Thanks,

~Royce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kreamcheese

Default Re: Pacman and a Toad?

Not recommended to keep different species in the same tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't recomend keeping them in the same tank. Pacmans are solitary unless its breeding season and depending on what kind of toad you have could be dangerous for the pacman as most toads secrete a toxin from the glands behind the eyes and it could harm your pacman or even kill it.

Eel Noob

Big no no.

Nationality
    [United States]

once your baby gets a lit bit bigger she or he we eat your toad so NOOOO
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

BG

I smell a big disaster!!! The packman is going to go for the toad one day ,The toad is toxic and could kill the pacman which killed the toad.. Aaat the end you could have two dead frogs!!

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    Aaat the end you could have two dead frogs!!
    That would be 1 dead toad an 1 dead frog... ooor 2 dead amphibians... hahaha

I figured it would be a problem, I'll (WHEN I do get a pacman) just keep it in a seperate tank.

Okay, so next question, what about two pacmans of the same size, raised together in the same tank?

Thanks for the info guys! Never been on a forum site like this before, you guys are amazing!

BG

I like to add another ten no's
    Quote Originally Posted by eel noob View Post
    big no no.

BG

The answer is one pacmanfrog
    Quote Originally Posted by poly View Post
    that would be 1 dead toad an 1 dead frog... Ooor 2 dead amphibians... Hahaha

i figured it would be a problem, i'll (when i do get a pacman) just keep it in a seperate tank.

Okay, so next question, what about two pacmans of the same size, raised together in the same tank?

Thanks for the info guys! never been on a forum site like this before, you guys are amazing!

Poly

Thanks.

Greg M

Really, horned frogs need to be kept in separate cages (from other horned frogs or any other amphibian species) except for breeding purposes. There are no good cagemates for these frogs. If you like communities, toads (generally just of the same species) seem to do just fine in groups. Mine seem to actually like each other (or at least they like using each other as perches, hides, etc).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would definitely say go with multiple toads in one tank too (if it is big enough) if you want more than one in a tank. I have the 4 of mine in the tank and they seem to get along just fine, they will even eat crickets off each others' backs!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Lacibeth

Interesting tidbit: a group of toads is called a knot, and a group of frogs is called an army.

Poly

Okay, that clears that up... on the same note, how about toads of different species, such as my american toad with a firebelly toad? Could I keep them in the same tank?

Thanks

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    Okay, that clears that up... on the same note, how about toads of different species, such as my american toad with a firebelly toad? Could I keep them in the same tank?

Thanks
    I would guess that your firebelly would end up being a possible lunch date.

Nationality
    [United States]

You have to realize that you can't keep different species together in the same tank. I mentioned the toxins they secrete before. You don't know how they are going to react to each others poison and it can seriouly cause a bad situation not to mention death. The toad will eat the firebelly more than likely.

Poly

I don't plan on keeping 2 different species in the same tank, just was wondering if it was/is possible. As for my toad eating another TOAD... I really, honestly, can't see it, it's not large enough, about the size of a plum, and that's roughly the size of the firebellys. Plus, it seems fairly timid, not that aggressive.

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    I don't plan on keeping 2 different species in the same tank, just was wondering if it was/is possible. As for my toad eating another TOAD... I really, honestly, can't see it, it's not large enough, about the size of a plum, and that's roughly the size of the firebellys. Plus, it seems fairly timid, not that aggressive.
    Personal experience: daycamp staff were helping to collect toads for a citizen science Bd testing project. One of the staff placed a silver-dollar-size toad w/ a half-again-as-large toad in the same critter keeper. Slightly larger toad proceeds to eyeball slightly smaller toad, hop over, and gulp. Only had one toad in that container in under a minute.

BG

There ya go bingo . I walked in a pet store and they had a community frog tank. I looked closely and guess what. A pacman frog had a toad in its mouth ,i pulled it out as soon i spotted that. The guy in the store had no clue what was going on in that tank. At the end i saved that poor victim.

Thread Information