Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first bumblebee toad

stolenheron

Default My first bumblebee toad

just picked up this little bugger yesterday.

hoping I could get some care tips from the folks on this forum with regards to a proper diet.

I have never cared for a toad species that stays this small. I have cared for toadlets of fowlers and american toads before but nothing that is 1" over a lifetime.

The last toad I owned for a long period of time was an adult cane toad that I caught..... so I am going from gigantic to tiny.

thanks for any tips!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's a great looking toad!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: My first bumblebee toad

I just responded in your intro thread. I would use Drosophila hydei for these guys.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

stolenheron

thanks

Sierra

Welcome to the forum! I keep a bumblebee toad as well, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me! They're fun little guys to keep.

stolenheron

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I keep a bumblebee toad as well, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me! They're fun little guys to keep.
    what are you currently feeding them? also what humidity level are you keeping the cage? any lighting? I've read a few different things online so I'm just trying to figure out what is actually successful.

BG

Welcome to the forum. I guess you beat me to my idea.lol. I was thinking on getting some the other day.great little toads,and easy to keep. Congrats.

stolenheron

just collected about 50-100 termites this morning. I've got a fruitfly trap going on outside right now until a culture comes in at the local pet store. can't wait to see the little guy eat more, he has already been fun to watch chase down crickets.

stolenheron

so it loves termites. it eats as many as I drop in the cage.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Great looking little fella! These guys are so cool.

It says in the Care Article here on the forum that you can feed small roach nymphes to Bumblebees. Could you use Dubia nymphs or are those too big? (sorry for semi-stealin' your thread )

Nationality
    [United States]

Dubia nymphs may be too big, IMO.
    Azureus Matecho BYH Citronella Regina White's TF

Josh (aka jwthought81)

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JWells View Post
    Dubia nymphs may be too big, IMO.
    The smallest in my colony are 1 mm and you can find every size up to 10cm. I'm sure you can find small enough dubias if you have you own colony.

stolenheron

i dont have access to any dubias so it doesnt matter.

stolenheron

my second bumblebee just showed up today. the 1st Bumble is on top and the newer, larger bumble is on bottom. from size, it seems its a male female combo.

BG

I love little frogs, but i just can't overcome the idea of dealing with small micro size food. lol

stolenheron

the female had no problem eating small crickets which are available at petco, and the smaller one (male?) is eating very small crickets or fruitflies (which you can order super cheap online, or pick up locally at petco for a few more bucks). it isnt that bad. promise.

SiNi5T3R

Yeah that's one of the reasons I don't have tree frogs or the smaller types of dart frogs...small food is a pain in the butt to get lol. I would rather have a big pacman or a huge toad that can eat a mouse and as many crickets as I throw in there bin lol. I wish I had easy access to small stuff tho cuz I would love to have a big tall tank filled with colorful tree frogs all stuck to the glass...there just so pretty. How did you manage to get termites?

stolenheron

I just noticed that the smaller and first bumble is missing one of his hind feet! I took a picture from the moment I saw him at my buddy's shop and sure enough, it has been missing from the start haha. poor little guy. The amputation is at the Astragalus and calcaneum bones.

man they both have CRAZY appetites. and the fruit fly cultures from joshs frogs are extremely plentiful, I'm trying my first attempt to make some side cultures since my current ones are over flowing

froggystyle

Congrats on your awesome toads dude!. I have had 4 BBWT for a little over 6 months. At first I was buying flies and small crickets but unfortunately the local petstores are not with supplying small food. These little toads have huge appetites I think mine were very hungry when I bought them they ate a few crickets and even ate the heads off of crickets when they couldn't fit them in their mouths. However once I introduced them to fruit flies they were not interested in crickets anymore. I have followed the recipe in this forum to make a batch of fruit fly culture medium and I have saved alot of money doing this. I feel better not depending on the petshop to supply the food because I don't ever want my toads to be as hungry as they were in the petshop. Here's a tip make a batch of media using the potato flakes and poweder milk recipe on this forum(I use whole milk powder baby formula Instead as its loaded with vitamins). Then pack it into individual 2oz plastic containers like the salsa they give you at Mexican food restaurant. Then freeze them. This way you can start each culture a week or two apart and you will never run out of food or time to make a culture again. This method saved me so much time and I thank everyone in this forum for all their input it really helped me. Have fun with your little hunters and thanks for sharing the pics. I can't wait to get more of them next season :]

stolenheron

is it possible to overfeed these guys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information