Fortunately toads aren't as dangerous as "kill-you-if-you-eat-them-or-even-offend-their-sensibilities-too-hard plants" if your just handling them. Most keepers don't use gloves and I haven't heard of anyone dying or even getting sick from it yet. At various times I have had toad venom on my bare skin(taking wild toads away from dogs and cats as well as dealing with stressed captive specimens) and it didn't even burn. Of course if you got it in you mouth or eyes it wouldn't do you any good but I don't think it tends to be readily absorbed through the skin.
Now, from someone experienced with dealing with toxic, vicious, kill-you-if-you-eat-them-or-even-offend-their-sensibilities-too-hard plants (including digitalis) - the best safe handling is as follows:
Wear gloves. Unpowdered "latex alternative" gloves preferable. Wear eye protection. I suggest some stylish shop glasses. Keep your mouth closed, or averted when handling the animal. Scrub down thoroughly post-handling. If you get toxin in your mouth or eye, get the hell to an ER. If your pet eats it - well... that's up to you. I strongly suggest trying an animal emergency clinic.