Thread: Boophis

Viv

Default Boophis

So I've seen these guys for sale recently and some members on other forums talking about them. Has anyone had experience with them? Do they need a water section, tall tank, or care similar to the RETF or more similar to reed frogs??? If you have any pics of set ups and stuff please post them.
    Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Boophis

I haven't kept them but I know something about them. They don't need a water section. They require the same kind of care as other tropical tree frogs.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Viv

Ok and I also found a post on talk to the frog or some other forum and a member said that the frogs only started to eat and act normal when there was a strong current.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

That's news to me. I wonder if Kurt will chime in?

Viv

Wheres the guru when you need him!? It might just be a paticular type of boophis. Does Kurt keep them?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

No he doesn't, but he may have in the past, and he knows pretty much everything about tree frogs. If I were you I'd drop him a private message to bring this thread to his attention.

Tony

Get in touch with jkooiman, he has actually worked with them and can share his experience.

Viv

Is he on this forum? On kingsnake they are selling them for $25 advertised as Sunglass Boophis but Im wary of buying them from there. Anyone know of people breeding them or CBB for sale?

Kurt

OK you got my attention, but unfortunately John has said all I could've said. I have never worked with any Boophis species. However I know someone who has, Ray Coderre (Stemcellular). I will e-mail him and make him aware of this thread.

jkooiman

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Ok and I also found a post on talk to the frog or some other forum and a member said that the frogs only started to eat and act normal when there was a strong current.
    That's Boophis microtympanum. I have two males. They are setup on river rocks with a strong pump blasting over them. They come from some elevation, but have tolerated 80F for a little while. They ceased calling when the weather warmed up. They do not like small food items, and have a "grabbing" mode of feeding. Larval development can take over a year. This is a terrestrial Boophis. Most/many of the genus is arboreal. Sadly, I'm just stuck with my two males unless more come into the country.

Stemcellular has Boophis ankaratra, another stream breeder, though not necessarily a stream dweller that also may appreciate moderate temps. He snatched up another translucent species or two, Boophis siblans, and another.

I can't remember the latin on that "sunglasses" boophis. Nice looking little frogs, I would have got them, but other stuff came in right around the same time.

Roman on DB recommended a screen top,and "bright light" as general care note for the genus. Thanks, JVK

Viv

Ok thank you so much.

jkooiman

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Ok thank you so much.
    You kind of missed the boat on the Boophis. There also was B. madagascariensis offered (not sure if that's the right latin), it's "giant" of the genus if you're into the larger treefrogs. It also has variable coloration, which is cool. The see-through species are REALLY cool, but you have to snatch them up before Ray (stemcellular) gets his paws on them

The B. microtympanum is the only member of the genus I've ever kept, and this species is pretty specialized as far as habitat, so my setup wouldn't be typical for the genus at all. I guess a "generic" Boophis setup might be typical treefrog, keeping in mind that it can get a bit chilly in the highlands of Madagascar. Thanks, JVK

Stemcellular

I think the key is getting them asap from the importer and giving them enough room to settle down, immediately treating any with noserub to avoid bacterial infections, etc. Sadly, all my frogs are male as well (not surprising).

Now I recently acquired a group of Guibemantis that are super cool. I'll eventually get photos up. If you check amphibiaweb, there call is unknown.

Kurt

Thanks Ray.

Hi! Any information about Boophis luteus instead?

Thread Information