Thread: Substrate for fire belly toads?

Ribbet

Default Substrate for fire belly toads?

So I asked this before but I got no clear answer, although at the time I didn't have a single species in mind like I do now. What should I use for a part land part water fire bellied toads vivarium where I would like to have live plants?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Substrate for fire belly toads?

Though I usually use Jungle Bark, I am finding that it is creating a lot of mess in the water portion of my vivarium. Fire bellies seem to bring everything with them into the water-minus the kitchen sink. I am going to try potting soil that is free of any chemicals and fertilizers, and then grow a nice layer of Irish moss over it. My toads love the moss I have growing right now, and it has helped keep some of the water "litter" down. Best of luck. These are great little frogs and are very vocal when they are happy and content.

Kurt

I keep mine in a Rubbermaid box with about an inch of water and a floating styroform tray. I keep it real simple.

Jace

I guess it all depends on what kind of setup you ultimately want. Mine is a main focus point in my kitchen, so I want it to look as natural and as pleasing as I can. However, I just noticed that mine is having a leaking problem with my divider between the water and land portion. Sigh...and here I thought I had it figured out.

firefly

Hi - I've used flatish rocks/slate piled up to about 6 inches high, pea gravel piled around, leaving the rest of the water area with a clear bottom. The water is 5 inches high.

Then I've squashed bits of moss into the 'joins' so to speak & this appears to be growing (hooray).

The toads seem to like it, and the moss helps them to climb up a level. Its easy to cope with too.

Hope this helps.

scribbles

I use large gravel.

Wanda

I use orchard bark for the land area, deal enough so they can burrow if they want to, and then a big plastic tub for their pool. Along with a hide and artificial plants for cover.

Thread Information