Thread: Staple foods

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Staple foods

Hi everyone. Please don't get mad at me for asking a question like this.
    So I've never kept frogs or amphibians before but I do have a bit of experience with reptiles. I should be getting an Australian (whites) tree frog. I can feed him crickets fine but earthworms are easier to get. So can I feed it mainly earthworms? Or are there any other staple diets I can use (no roaches please) Thanks!

Sent from my 5056X using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Staple foods

Hi there and welcome to Frog Forum!

Earthworms/Nightcrawlers are actually the most nutritious option when it comes to food in my opinion. You will need to cut the earthworms into pieces about the length of the distance between your frogs eyes. Some herps are very picky about needing food that moves a lot to eat but with White's it shouldn't really be a problem. If necessary use tongs and wiggle the worm piece in front of the frog.

Also remember that all earthworms (or any feeder for that matter) should not be wild caught as they may harbor disease

good luck!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post

Earthworms/Nightcrawlers are actually the most nutritious option when it comes to food in my opinion. You will need to cut the earthworms into pieces about the length of the distance between your frogs eyes. Some herps are very picky about needing food that moves a lot to eat but with White's it shouldn't really be a problem. If necessary use tongs and wiggle the worm piece in front of the frog.

Also remember that all earthworms (or any feeder for that matter) should not be wild caught as they may harbor disease

good luck!
    Thanks for the reply! Do I have to cut them in half? I've seen plenty of people give them whole and even the size of the frog! Are there any other staple foods I can use?
    Cheers.

Nationality
    [United States]

I always cut mine in pieces to be safe. I know that many people will feed their frogs larger pieces or even whole worms without a problem but I just don't like to take chances. It's up to you really although another rule of thumb people use is to cut to the length of the frog. Besides crickets, worms and dubia roaches i really can't think of many other readily availible feeders that are suitable to be a staple food

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Also it might be a good idea to make sure you have nightcrawlers and not red wrigglers/tiger worms. My frog refused to eat any more worms after tasting one tiger worm.

7. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I found these Dendrobaena earthworms, do you think these will do?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Those are also called tiger worms. Your frogs might eat them, but some frogs seem to think they taste bad.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Those are also called tiger worms. Your frogs might eat them, but some frogs seem to think they taste bad.
    Are you sure? I tried looking them up and what came up was Dendrobaena veneta also called European nightcrawler and another source said that Dendrobaena were called willy worms.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

good luck!
    I'm curious why you think the worm's length needs to be smaller than the distance between a frog's eyes. It's the width that matters, and even then it hardly matters with something soft like a worm. Frogs are also quite capable of safely swallowing things larger than the distance between their eyes, and there's no danger of a cloacal prolapse caused by passing feces from large prey with something like a worm that pretty much gets digested into diarrhea- like goo. Worms cut into such tiny pieces probably won't move enough to attract the attention of a frog that hasn't been trained to eat whatever you put in front of it.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hi everyone, I know it's been a while (about 2 days) but I don't want to start another thread. Does anyone know how many crickets to feed? Let's go 'worst' case scenario, how many crickets would a 6 inch female eat and how much should you dust.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dace View Post
    I'm curious why you think the worm's length needs to be smaller than the distance between a frog's eyes. It's the width that matters, and even then it hardly matters with something soft like a worm. Frogs are also quite capable of safely swallowing things larger than the distance between their eyes, and there's no danger of a cloacal prolapse caused by passing feces from large prey with something like a worm that pretty much gets digested into diarrhea- like goo. Worms cut into such tiny pieces probably won't move enough to attract the attention of a frog that hasn't been trained to eat whatever you put in front of it.
    like i mentioned earlier, it's just a preference of mine. I know that frog's can handle larger things but i tend to worry about my frogs more than I should. And besides my frogs have often struggled with larger pieces. I just don't like to take chances. And most white's will not hesitate to take worm pieces even if they are cut small. It's up to the keeper to decide

MonBon,

first let me just say that's quite a whopper of a frog you have there if it's 6 inches ! Even 5 inches is impressive. Anyway I usually feed my frogs 5-10 crickets which are about the length of the distance between the frog's eyes (unlike with worms, there is no negotiating with crickets, they definitely need to be around that size). As for dusting what i do is i take a tall plastic container, drop some crickets in, drop some powder on top and swish around until they have a nice coating of dust.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

like i mentioned earlier, it's just a preference of mine. I know that frog's can handle larger things but i tend to worry about my frogs more than I should. And besides my frogs have often struggled with larger pieces. I just don't like to take chances. And most white's will not hesitate to take worm pieces even if they are cut small. It's up to the keeper to decide

MonBon,

first let me just say that's quite a whopper of a frog you have there if it's 6 inches ! Even 5 inches is impressive. Anyway I usually feed my frogs 5-10 crickets which are about the length of the distance between the frog's eyes (unlike with worms, there is no negotiating with crickets, they definitely need to be around that size). As for dusting what i do is i take a tall plastic container, drop some crickets in, drop some powder on top and swish around until they have a nice coating of dust.
    I don't have the frog yet. I was just going 'worst' case scenario. Do you feed that amount of crickets a day? A week? Every other day?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MonBon View Post
    I don't have the frog yet. I was just going 'worst' case scenario. Do you feed that amount of crickets a day? A week? Every other day?

oh i see

it depends on the age of the frog
    for babies 1-2 inches feed every day
    decrease the frequency of feeding as your frog grows
    for a frog 2-3 inches feed every other day
    once the frog is full grown i feed 3-4 times a week
    if your frog is full grown upon arrival simply feed 3-4 times a week right from the start

keep in mind that every frog is different and some may be full grown at a smaller size. Mine both maxed at around 3.5 inches you'll know when a frog is full grown when their growth slows

be careful of overfeeding. You can tell if your white's is overweight by looking at two fatty ridges over their tympanic membrane (ear drum). It should be pronounced, but not folded over the membrane.

Hope this helps!

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

oh i see

it depends on the age of the frog
    for babies 1-2 inches feed every day
    decrease the frequency of feeding as your frog grows
    for a frog 2-3 inches feed every other day
    once the frog is full grown i feed 3-4 times a week
    if your frog is full grown upon arrival simply feed 3-4 times a week right from the start

keep in mind that every frog is different and some may be full grown at a smaller size. Mine both maxed at around 3.5 inches you'll know when a frog is full grown when their growth slows

be careful of overfeeding. You can tell if your white's is overweight by looking at two fatty ridges over their tympanic membrane (ear drum). It should be pronounced, but not folded over the membrane.

Hope this helps!
    Hey! Thanks this does help. For some reason I thought that this thread was about pacman frogs but this does help a lot. I'm still not sure which frog to get...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonBon View Post
    Are you sure? I tried looking them up and what came up was Dendrobaena veneta also called European nightcrawler and another source said that Dendrobaena were called willy worms.

You're right, I only did a short search and I'm not entirely sure but I did see them listed as being called tiger worms. But they may not be the same ones that give off the foul tasting slime.

Thread Information