Thread: Hyla Cinerea died, I need to know from what

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hyla Cinerea died, I need to know from what

Im going to go into detail, so get ready to read a bit

A few months ago, i purchased my first frog, an American Green Tree Frog, from my local Petsmart. Usually i wouldnt do this, but this Petsmart keeps their animals in very good conditions.
    So of course before any of this i did copious amounts of research on my soon to be friend. I saw diet, enclosure, and everything else. I eventually got what i believe was a male frog, due to his small size.
    Later at home i saw he was pretty small, and thought he must have not been that old, or he may be mal-formed. But i went along with it. I enjoyed feeding him, and watching him explore his large 10 gal tank. I would keep it at around 80ish degrees F, 60% humidity, and near my window. The only thing i didnt do, was get a UV light, as i had read that they werent necesary from many sources. So time went on.
    About a month later, he decided to stop eating. This worried me, but i remembered that when they moult, they dont feed, but this went on for an entire week.
    Again, i didnt think much. About another month later, i got my second frog, the one i currently own, who is much, much bigger, about 3 inches. I put it in quarintine for 1 and a half weeks before uniting the two.
    Now we get to this last week. I had noticed that the first frog, who i named Pringles, started getting discolored. Now i was worried, and, he wasnt eating as well. Then 3 days ago, he completley stopped, and was very gray, like ghost gray. Yesterday morning, he was on the floor of the terrarium, belly up, and i was terrified. He wasnt really moving, and his breathing was off. I separated him from Soloman (the second frog) and watched him, as i desperately tried to find answers. Sadly, i found nothing, and i had to put him down with Orajel, but before i grabbed him, he rapidly jumped in the holding cell, and immidiately after fell to the bottom squeaking, with its legs streched out and his arms on his chest, belly up. Soon after i put him down and buried his body.

I need to know if this has happened to anyone, or anything similar at all, its the least i can do for my amphibious comrade now...
    Please help me find out what happened. Did i do something wrong? Was he already doomed from the start? Anything helps..

2. This member thanks Froggo1 for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hyla Cinerea died, I need to know from what

Hello and welcome to Frog Forum!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your frog so sad

you must place the remaining frog in a separate enclosure and disinfect the tank and get rid of the decorations and start fresh with the tank, standard procedure when a frog dies and is especially important in this case as your frog may have had a pathogen

it would also be an immense help if you would please answer the questions below

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication
    -----for how long
    -----what dose
    -----was medication prescribed by a herp vet

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Answering the questions would be a help, but the gray skin makes me think it was some kind of fungus maybe. But I can't say for sure, not being a vet. I'd try to sterilize the tank like Eli said and make sure to do daily water changes. It may be a little late but it can't hurt.

Also sometimes frogs just get ill despite our best efforts. If you want to look up vets in your area and see if they treat frogs that might be a good precaution.

Nationality
    [United States]

I will answer to the best of my abilities.

1. Hyla Cinerea
    2. I cannot include the picture, but it was originally green, then had circular very ghostly colored circular blotches appearing on the back and back legs.
    3. http://imgur.com/k7gxluT
    4. 20in x ~10in x 12 1/2in
    5. There is one other of the same species, about 3 inches in size, 2in bigger than the small one.
    6. No other species or animals.
    7. The new tank mate was quarintined for a week and a half.
    8. 60% percent humidity
    9. 70 during winter, 80 during summer.
    10. My rooms ambient temperature is generally what keeps the temp. I dont use a heat mat, also the place i live is generally warm.
    11. The cage recieves light from a northfacing window, no bulbs are used, and at night no lights are left on.
    12. I try to remove poop from the cage every day, and scrub stains off with a paper towel wet with distilled water.
    13. For both misting and soaking, distilled water from a glacier machine is used ( no minerals are in the water )
    14. I use fine grain eco earth and zoo med sphagnum moss.
    15. To wash i use distilled water and paper towels, there are fake plants only, made of fabric with wire protected by plastic. Cork rounds from zoo med are also used.
    16. Aproximately a week before death.
    17. Difficult to tell, but i have found smaller ones that would suggest so.
    18. The frog is fed every other day with calcium dust administered to 2 of the crickets fed throughout the week.
    19. Small crickets, about 1 cm each.
    20. None
    -- I havent used any because i dont really know what i should. Superworms are too big to feed too.
    21. I feed the with rounded end tweezers, they come to the tongs and pick the crickets off.
    22. Absolutley not. Any food is immidieatly taken out if not eaten.
    23. I use Flukers REPTA CALCIUM, it says it comes with D3 and phosphorus free
    24. Listed above
    -- is there a difference from the two? If so, any reccomendations?
    25. No, it was always on its feeding cycle of 2 dusted crickets per week, (3 for the big frog)
    26. Cant really say... its size would suggest that it was young or just malformed.
    27. Ive had it for approximately 6 months
    28. The store, no previous owner.
    29. Captive bred
    30. I dont use gloves and hardly hold them for long periods of time, but i spray my hands with distilled water. (No soap, lotion, or anything is used before.)
    31. Very low, only i am in my room, and not for long.
    32. No medication was used.

Hope this helps, if you need me to go into more depth, ask and i will try my best.
    Thankyou

Nationality
    [United States]

For number 3, the larger frog Solomon is in the bottom left, i accidentaly spooked him!

Thread Information