Thread: Just started a dubia colony!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Just started a dubia colony!

Just put together a basic dubia colony, still have a couple things to grab, but I'll post some pictures soon! Still have to hook up a thermometer/humidity gauge and some more hiding space. I had a few questions, I mounted the heating pad on the side, a small 8w heating pad. All Living Things brand, it's slightly floppy, and uses no spacers, just adhesive back with paper covering to peel off. I adhered it on the side, slightly off the bottom to have room for the cord. It has no substrate, since they'll burrow and it'll make them harder to find. It's a 20 gallon sterilite bin, and I plugged it into a basic thermostat and set it to low.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Just started a dubia colony!

http://imgur.com/a/n5b50
    Just added pictures. Basically I'm just wondering if this is a fire hazard. I set up 2 because it didn't get that warm inside with the first one alone. I still need to pick up 2-3 thermometers for it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd be a little concerned about fire because of the dry eggcarton and roach droppings. However, I managed to keep one of the All Living Things pads on a plastic bin when I was quarantining my frogs and nothing bad happened. I'd say keep an eye on it and if there's somewhere warm you could put the roach bin I'd move it there.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the advice! I'm less worried about having a heating pad on there, and more worried about the fact that there are 2 heating pads on it...first one was the All Living things, which didn't get too hot. I added a second, my exotera mat, plugged into a rheostat. Both are 8w, and it seems fine so far, but I'm kinda wishing I got a ceramic heat bulb, seems like a lot less trouble in retrospect.

Nationality
    [United States]

And the 2 heating pads problem solves itself...The All Living things UTH came off the bin on it's own.

Nationality
    [United States]

The roaches now have a lamp and heat bulb rather than a heating pad. I've been meaning to add the following for a while, but kept forgetting: Dubia roaches are often marketed as"Quiet". I have found this is not entirely true, as they produce a skittering sound. If you fall asleep easily, this probably won't bother you at all, but if you are like me, it may keep you awake. For me especially, the nature of the sound keeps me awake, and I have to drown it out with a large box fan at night. It's kinda funny to me, considering crickets don't really bother my sleep with chirping, only occasionally bothering me by jumping and hitting the top/sides of the tank.
    1 Male Giant African Bullfrog
    2 Woodhouse's Toads
    11 Pacific Treefrogs
    1 Dubia Roach Colony
    2 Australian Green Treefrogs

Quote Originally Posted by daybr4ke View Post
    Dubia roaches are often marketed as"Quiet". I have found this is not entirely true, as they produce a skittering sound.
    Last night I woke up because I distinctly heard someone snapping their thumb, but it was just the Dubia's being weird. They talk to each-other too!

Your bin looks good! I'm jealous of your heating set up.^^
    Is that all the egg-crates they have in that image? The females get stressed easily and won't produce much if there aren't enough hiding places, mine seem to separate from the other roaches to have babies, paper-towel tubes work great too, and crumpled napkins can be used as a burrowing substrate that makes them easy to find (just pick up a piece and shake).

Edit: And I just realized this post is crazy old..woops
    Last edited by Hypnofrog; February 27th, 2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: I can't read

Thread Information