Thread: Hello, new with questions?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello, new with questions?

Hey guys, I am from NJ and I have a passion for toads and frogs. I have kept african clawed frogs, american toads, fowlers toads, cane toad, pacman frog, and a whites tree frog.

Over the years I had to part with my collection as I was in a stage in my life I could no longer provide care for my lovies... However, I am in a better stage and I am hoping to get back in the hobby.

We are moving soon and I wasn't going to get anything until sometime after I move. I think I used to have an account here long long ago but I forgot it and it probably got banned due to inactivity. Eitherway, it was attached to an email that got hacked so I couldnt access it anyways and didn't really care to.

I recall Kurt (if he still is here), I think Jenste, and someone(I think a lady) with a pair of golden bell frogs.

I've been thinking of either getting a 30 gallon aquarium for a pair or a trio of african clawed frogs (I think it was 7gallons per frog) or a breeder for some american toads or fowlers toads.

Thing is, I don't 100% know what I want yet. If I got toads I'd rather wean them off to worms as I despise the idea of crickets and roaches. Crickets are just annoying to deal with and roaches are just gross tbh.

I certainly know I want something captive bred as wild caught tends to carry parasite loads that will eventually kill them off as they're not used to captivity.

I do have a question. If you keep toads in a planted vivarium, do you still need to change the soil? Or will the poop be used by the plants or what?

What kind of plants do well in terrariums and are really hardy? I am so so with plant care.

As for african clawed frogs... how do you keep them in their enclosure? I had lids, even resorted to a metal lid but they would always find a way out the tank... I was thinking if I went with AFC I'd have to buy some thick plexiglass and drill small holes(for air exchange) and have it made the exact size to fit the tank... as they can escape from just about anything.

Never understood why they would try to jump out-- but that's how one of mine died long ago. The rest are still alive somewhere I presume.

I kind of like the idea of albino toads too. But I doubt they're easy to find and sound super expensive. Though I heard from someone long time ago that they're sometimes sold for 50 bucks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello, new with questions?

It's not always the case with wild caught frogs and toads if you have a good doctor and can provide care. Here is my setup and it can answer some of your questions hopefully

75 Gallon Vivarium build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    It's not always the case with wild caught frogs and toads if you have a good doctor and can provide care. Here is my setup and it can answer some of your questions hopefully

75 Gallon Vivarium build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Thank you. I thought you couldnt keep two different species of amphibians together (or reptiles as well)? More so, I thought toads were toxic to other frogs.

I'd love to see some albino toads for sale eventually but I doubt I'd be able to get them within time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Hello, new with questions?

Quote Originally Posted by ToadStool View Post
    Thank you. I thought you couldnt keep two different species of amphibians together (or reptiles as well)? More so, I thought toads were toxic to other frogs.

I'd love to see some albino toads for sale eventually but I doubt I'd be able to get them within time.
    It is very complex and if you've seen the thread you see that it hasn't been the animals it's on me for the mistakes made. I spent 2 years in research before I made this. We are going on 3 years after my decision now and there have been casualties even with experience. If the animals are from the same area and you can provide adequate care such as vet visits, big enclosure, varied diet, and regulate a humidity and temp, and last but not least look at the best interest of the animals. Many people take a huge chance with keeping mixed species, but if you are persistent and know what you are getting into at least to me it's worth it. I'm just defending my thread with this comment. I hope it helps you

Edit: the Toads only use it as defense. The leopard frog never attacked a toad and it saw 4 some young and some as big as it. I never had any accidents due to the research and prior handling of the two to know that. The Toads never bullied the frog either the frog only had an issue with one toad for some reason but nothing ever led to one being removed. Leopard frogs are not toxic. I think you will have a hard time finding Fowler's Toads and Albinos.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wardog View Post
    It is very complex and if you've seen the thread you see that it hasn't been the animals it's on me for the mistakes made. I spent 2 years in research before I made this. We are going on 3 years after my decision now and there have been casualties even with experience. If the animals are from the same area and you can provide adequate care such as vet visits, big enclosure, varied diet, and regulate a humidity and temp, and last but not least look at the best interest of the animals. Many people take a huge chance with keeping mixed species, but if you are persistent and know what you are getting into at least to me it's worth it. I'm just defending my thread with this comment. I hope it helps you

Edit: the Toads only use it as defense. The leopard frog never attacked a toad and it saw 4 some young and some as big as it. I never had any accidents due to the research and prior handling of the two to know that. The Toads never bullied the frog either the frog only had an issue with one toad for some reason but nothing ever led to one being removed. Leopard frogs are not toxic. I think you will have a hard time finding Fowler's Toads and Albinos.

Uh for the albinos they used to be up for sale a few years ago on a site I knew. For the fowler's toads-- they're extremely common where I am from. Not much more common than the american of course.

Still I prefer the americans over the fowlers as they come in more color varieties from what I can see. I'd like the idea of a longer lived amphibian but I guess 5-15 years is a lot anyways.

As for taking it to the vet. That's the thing, over here it's illegal to catch toads and stuff. Only thing you can catch is snapping turtles, and bullfrogs. So if I went and took it to a vet to get it dewormed/de-parasitized it may not end on a good note.

It's why I was tempted into trying a cane toad again, but I know for sure no one would ever dare to breed those. lol. That and the fact that they're shy compared to an american toad. It takes time for toads to adjust, but it feels canes dont adjust. Ironic part is they're supposedly better suited for captivity.

Thread Information