Thread: long lasting amplexus, no eggs??

Default long lasting amplexus, no eggs??

Hello all!
    Just a few weeks ago I acquired a group of firebellies (2 male, 2 female) as company for the two males I've had for 15 years already!
    My two males were very much in the mood and I was hoping to get some babies out of them before it is too late..
    Sure enough within a couple of days I found one of my males in a solid amplexus with one of the new females.
    I waited and closely observed the process until I found eggs after 4 days.. however.. quite soon after this I noticed these eggs actually came from a different couple (two of the new ones). The initial couple stayed in amplexus for another day until they eventually broke up without any result after 5 days.

Now this female has again been in a solid amplexus with my other male for 4 days now.. again no eggs!

I am very confused about this situation. Usually a male or unreceptive female will do everything to get away from a males grip. Especially stretching the legs and crawling onto land while making chirping sounds. Although this female does not seem to like the situation she doesn't seem to resist as much. She can be heard chirping sometimes but for the rest she just kind of floats around in the water hidden in the corner. Sometimes she crawls onto land, all with the male still on her back.
    She looks like she must be full of eggs, very round belly but she could also just be fat..I have only had this female for a couple weeks now so im not familiar with her normal behaviour and/or shape.

I have no idea what to do now. Should i separate her from the males or leave it as it is? Did anyone ever experience a similar situation? I don't want her to be stressed the whole time but i would also hate if she eventually releases infertile eggs because i separated her from the males.

Any advice is very welcome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information