Thread: Frog who rarely ever eats

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Unhappy Frog who rarely ever eats

I've had my pacman frog for a couple of months now and during that time shes barley ever ate much and never tryed to ambush food.
    I keep the tank at a sold 75 farenhite and keep the humidty around 80. I tryed to offer various different foods (They are all gutloaded and dusted) from crickets nightcrawlers and the occasional mealworm but she's never intressted, so I have to force feed which of coruse is going to stress her out.

Her tank set up is also pretty good I keep her in a small fish tank with coco fibre, a hide, some plants and a heat mat on the side. I also have also let her soak in water incase of impaction but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Does anyone know what could potentially be wrong with her?

She's also albino if that has any relevance.

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog who rarely ever eats

Probably temps too cool, 26-28C is better and down to 22-24C at night. Heat mats are contact heaters and when placed on the wall they just heat the glass and not the frog, air temperature or substrate, so ditch that and get a 25-40watt heat lamp, that should get it eating If your fish tank has a lid that won't hold a fixture you can get screen tops on amazon. Aim for about 70% humidity.

Nationality
    [United States]

You definitely have a COLD Horned frog.. These are tropical frogs that need to stay warm.. You need to have a warm temperature that read between 81F-85F during the day. The lowest you want it to drop is at night 76F and reach up to 80F at night. That is the reason why your frog is not willing to eat.. Don't force feed, just warm your frog up with a heat source, such as a heating pad or incandescent red or black bulb that doesn't produce light. You will have to check the humidity because bulbs tend to dry out substrate.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Unhappy Re: Frog who rarely ever eats

The weather has warmed up so the tanks is around 80-85 farenhite, the frog still isn't in the mood for eating, the most of seen it do in regards of eating is chase after a dubia roach for a while then give up. I'll buy a heat lamp as it gets colder but now it's not necessary. Not sure what to do now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by Fayan; June 15th, 2017 at 01:20 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Fayan View Post
    The weather has warmed up so the tanks is around 80-85 farenhite, the frog still isn't in the mood for eating, the most of seen it do in regards of eating is chase after a dubia roach for a while then give up. I'll buy a heat lamp as it gets colder but now it's not necessary. Not sure what to do now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I had my new frogs not eat for two weeks. It is totally fine. Now my frogs are chowing down on crickets. I had a frog way to shy to eat in front of me for 4 weeks and refused to tong feed. I got him to eat alone and now he eats every week. I had to leave the room and give him privacy and he ate all wax worms and crickets offered. Now he eats crickets and nightcrawlers with gusto! As long as your frog isn't losing weight it is fine. Nice to hear about your temperatures being perfect.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

An 81 to 85 heat gradient is really pushing the upper levels of safe temps for these frogs. Cranwells Horned Frogs and Ornate Horned Frogs are not "tropical frogs" they come from the Chaco region of south America and Argentina.
    For froglets of this species I prefer to keep temps around 80 to 82, for juveniles and adults daytime temps between about 70 to 82 are just fine and leave room for some fluctuation. Night time temps can go as low as 65.
    While the region they are from may be quite warm, these frogs occupy a mirconiche within the habitat that is far cooler than the ambient temperatures.
    Tropical species such as C. Cornuta however require consistently warm temps between 78 and 82 f. With night drops to around 74.

Temperatures over 85 degrees can cause considerable stress on your frog leading to illness or death. And if you are shooting for 85 with your heating systems, then a slight fluctuation of room temperature can easily increase the heat inside the enclosure well over 85.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

During the warmer months I keep them at ambient room temperature, on warm days they reach the low 80s inside their enclosures in the afternoon.
    75 degrees F. Isnt going to keep a pacman frog from getting hungry or digesting food. But if he is consistently at this temperature he may eat somewhat less frequently.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thumbs up Re: Frog who rarely ever eats

Thanks for all the responses, recently my frog had
    Had a prolapse, and it's likely because of the forced feeding which I no longer do, after giving her a warm wash it all went back in, I also thoroughly cleaned out the tank and put new substrate in just to be more safe.

I'm just going to offer her food from time to time and see how it goes, it also seems if she's grown a bit which is great.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have a frog that responds really well to me dropping the pacman food or. Pac attack pellets and the ROLLING THEM AROUND! Instant feeding response every time.

Thread Information