Thread: Rarely ever eats

Default Rarely ever eats

First off, the list requested by the sticky..

1. Size of enclosure
    12x12x12 Exoterra

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences

3. Humidity
    Not measured

4. Temperature
    Room temp varying by season 22C during the coldwe seasons, up to 30C or so in summer

5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    See full write up later

6. Materials used for substrate
    Currently bare

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    N/A

8. Main food source
    Crickets, dubias, worms, etc... lots of critters in the house and he gets offered leftovers

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    N/A due to issues

10. Lighting
    Natural

11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    Nil

12. When is the last time he/she ate
    Unknown

13. Have you found poop lately
    No

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    Around 2 years?

17. How long have you owned him/her
    Approx 2 years

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    Unknown

19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    Never

21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    Low

22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
    Varies on setup.

Have had this guy for about 2 years, for the first 6 months he ate ridiculous amounts, after that, between then and now, I wouldn't even be able to say with certainty that he/she/it has eaten.

Initial setup was with coco fiber and a watering dish filled with water for soaking if desired

After a while of it not eating we switched him to what I could only call a muddy mess setup. Cleanup wasn't easy but the frog seemed quite happy with it, digging holes and fairly active. However gave up on that recently as he still hasn't been eating, and a lot of insects can just burrow and hide easily so keeping track of whether or not he had actually eaten was difficult.

Current setup is just bare glass with the enclosure on an angle, allowing for a shallow pool to form in the back with water. Been this way for a few days, still hasn't actually eaten.

With the timeframes involved, he obviously must of eaten some, but it's very limited. Last spring he snapped out of it and ate like crazy for about a month before stopping again. This was in the muddy mess..

Current size is about the same as that of a golf ball, appears and acts healthy aside from not eating.

So since the previous advice and instructions I've received on this guy doesn't seem to be working, what changes would folks here recommend?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Rarely ever eats

What do you mean when you say that you haven't used any supplements due to issues? Has he ever had any supplements in his diet? Or do you just mean he hasn't had any recently due to not eating?

Do you have a thermometer in the cage to measure the temperature and a source of heat to keep that temperature fairly steady? 22C is quite cool for these guys, they should be kept in the high 20s (roughly 26-28C or so) during the day with a drop to about 24-26C during the night.

They should also be kept at about 70-80% humidity, do you have any way of telling what he's been kept at?

I know you said you were having problems with a dirt-type set-up, but does the frog have access to somewhere to hide in the new set-up? Do you have three sides of the enclosure covered?

Are you treating the water with anything to remove chlorine/chloramines?

How do you try to feed him?

Default Re: Rarely ever eats

Lack of supplements and such, due to lack of eating. Generally, feeding consists of throwing a few crickets and roaches in the enclosure, and then collecting the corpses once they've died of old age or starvation. Any supplements dusted on to them will fall/rub off within a day or two, so I wouldn't count on the frog having gotten any.

No, I don't use thermometers in the enclosure, however I have a temp gun I use for the other critters. Enclosure was 23C as of a few min ago. Humidity is a guess only at this point, as I dont have any spare hygrometers to move in to the enclosure. Another enclosure nearby sits at 50% is much larger and much less water, so I would guess add at least another 20 due to the smaller size and far greater amount of water.

Currently no place to hide for the frog while experimenting with this new setup, sides aren't covered. I'll see about figuring out what I can do to make some changes for that.

No, no water treatment being done for chloramines as those aren't used in my area. Chlorine is eliminated by having the water stand for a few days to off gas. Been doing the same thing with a saltwater aquarium for fish and corals for years, without issue.

The temperature being low is a surprise based on some care sheets ive read, however easily fixed. I'll run a heat bulb and see if a few degrees makes a difference in his behaviour. A heat bulb will of course dry things out, making locating a hydrometer a bit of a necessity.

Any other issues I should look at?

Any suggestions on enclosure setups that are minimalist? The less dirt, or anything that a roach can burrow into and hide in, the better, as they're one of the easier items I have on hand to feed with.

Thread Information