Thread: Viv/palu size dilemma

Default Viv/palu size dilemma

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post...

I'm having a moral dilemma that has been at the back of my mind for a while now.
    Is my tank big enough for the frog I want?
    The aquarium tank is, in inches,
    36l x14w x 18h, and its a burrowing frog that could grow as big as 8.5cm / 3.5in.
    I've planned a water section for about 11inch in length. That leaves about 2ft for land space, I plan on limited plants (a climber for the back wall + maybe a couple more on the edges, depending on how they handle be trampled).

I don't know what height the adult frog can jump.

And I'm really worried I'm going to hate myself for keeping such a large frog in a smallish tank.

I don't want to keep a creature if I can't make it happy, that's a failure and defeats the purpose.

I do want to keep a frog that we have raised from an egg, and I do want to support my 4yo's love for all creatures (especially frogs, reptiles and creepy crawlies). So I'm totally torn between keeping a frog because my son would love it (I want to too, but I can let it go), and thinking this species may not be suited for us or the tank we have, at the least.

What do you all think?

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Viv/palu size dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Calayvie View Post
    Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post...
    Being that the question is really about a specific frog (although you don't tell us what type), I would have posted the question in the sub-forum for that type frog. Then for sure you'd get this question in front of those that have a better idea about the needs of that frog. There are active members that I never see respond in this forum and they tend to stay only in the sub-forum for their frog. IMO, this sub-forum is for discussion about construction and maintenance of the viv and related components.

But then again, the forum seems to be at an all time low for activity.......................... You don't mention the specific type of toad... was it a budgett's ?? There is a care sheet stickied in the budgett's sub-forum that might give you an idea of appropriate size.

Default Re: Viv/palu size dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by privet01 View Post
    Being that the question is really about a specific frog (although you don't tell us what type), I would have posted the question in the sub-forum for that type frog. Then for sure you'd get this question in front of those that have a better idea about the needs of that frog. There are active members that I never see respond in this forum and they tend to stay only in the sub-forum for their frog. IMO, this sub-forum is for discussion about construction and maintenance of the viv and related components.

But then again, the forum seems to be at an all time low for activity.......................... You don't mention the specific type of toad... was it a budgett's ?? There is a care sheet stickied in the budgett's sub-forum that might give you an idea of appropriate size.
    Thanks privet01 for the response

Its a banjo frog, Australian species. I'll copy this into the frog sub forum then. Thanks!

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

Thread Information